VAYASAN

Table setup thread. Pics / Inspiration.

Ive alsways found great inspiration for terrain and tables from what other people put together, with that in mind, I thought it would be great for there to be 1 huge Table setup thread, rather than people posting amazing tables and then after a few days they vanish from view, lost to everyone.

If anyone agrees, post up your tables for everyone to get some ideas!!

Here are my two table so far.  The Endor one will be improved by A shuttle Pad, Radar dish and bunker soon from BattleKiwi so will look quite different soon.

Zjq9CaV.jpg

OT6gdln.jpg

DcJ4US3.jpg

zAQcNdN.jpg

AX49jHV.jpg

cyHoA7U.jpg

6dOHeVy.jpg

Edited by VAYASAN

Amazing work all around, im very jealous :o 

Im currently in full process doing 40k terrain so for the time being that will have to do. Eventually im hoping to make something dedicated to Legion with a more fitting theme!

Haha its not on a table, I've only got a photo of the pieces laid out on the floor, but here is my core set 3x3 setup currently. 

6ZuaQkO.jpg

I'm planning to include the 8 barriers from the core set, and still build some abandoned stacks of supply crates, etc. Eventually hoping to mount on something 3x3 and have a full on desert board. Or I may start over - these were really practice pieces to see how hard it is to make desert terrain. 

26 minutes ago, JackD2204 said:

This is amazing! What planet is it based off of if any?

Far from complete, but the original concept was Ord Mantell. It could also be a stand in for Sullest or Lah'mu. I wanted a board that offered a different color pallet and vibe. Its based off the island military instillation called Mannett Point that was detailed in the Star Wars MMO The Old Republic. I took artistic license for some aesthetic and gameplay purposes. 

Its a modular board for moving purposes. Its not scatter terrain, but a static piece with purposefull and measured details. I referenced the deployment and objective cards while designing. The board is as much vertical as it is horizontal, allowing for tons of opportunity for in depth options not available on a scatter terrain board. The downside is that while everyone else is having fun moving trees and terrain around, my board is always the same.

I chose this direction after learning about the deployment, objective, and condition cards. I think this will vary each game so much that the static board won't be a hindrance. 

Z8j0ynb.jpg

Ive got a lot of work to do on the building architecture on the backside of the board. More foliage is being added and water needs to be poured on 2 more sections. Then a final paint job to really weather everything. Its 100% made from scratch. Foam, dirt, paint, kabob skewers,glue, fish tank hose, rocks, and hobby flock/foliage is all you're looking at. So far the entire board is coming in at $100, and a good chunk of that was resin for the oceanfront. 

Edited by AldousSnow

2 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

Z8j0ynb.jpg

Ive got a lot of work to do on the building architecture on the backside of the board. More foliage is being added and water needs to be poured on 2 more sections. Then a final paint job to really weather everything. Its 100% made from scratch. Foam, dirt, paint, kabob skewers,glue, fish tank hose, rocks, and hobby flock/foliage is all you're looking at. So far the entire board is coming in at $100, and a good chunk of that was resin for the oceanfront. 

awesome board mind showing the gun turret a bit more up close and what materials where used for it ?

@Jarlh Thanks so much.

The Anti-Aircraft Turret started as an idea mixing both designs from video games and wanting it to look vaguely AT-AT-esque. Here is the base shapes when I started. It consists of insulation foam, drywall spackle, and a wheel caster picked up for $3 at Home Depot.

Ow4If9B.jpg

After gluing the shapes together, I used a file and sandpaper to shape up the foam. The wheel was taken off the caster and it was inserted into the foam with gorilla glue. It has a full 360 rotation.

bhXjI54.jpg

After the basic shape was there, I used a technique called greebling. I just made that word up, but it is a real thing. A greeble, by definition, is an added detail that gives an otherwise made up or useless object look useful, while giving it scale. Basically, you glue stuff to it to make it look cool. There is a band of leather strap around the cylinder, the side walls were carved out, then covered in drywall sandpaper. the gun barrels are fish tank tube stuffed with a kabob skewer, and the rest of the greebles are random items from old model sprues. Mostly WWII bombers and the such. And the side circle caps are some random thing from Home Depot. Electral caps of sort. I hit it with a coat of black primer when all the pieces were glued on.

1wR1wd2.jpg

I did a base coat of light gray acrylic. I then did a subtle black wash over the entire gun. I followed up with a darker black wash for specific areas. I used a silver dry brush to hit the edges to show metal wear. And lastly I hit all appropriate spots with a black weathering powder. I'm thinking about adding rust effects, but that decision will be made when the board is closer to finished to see how "beaten up" the military base will be. The wash I used left a bit of a shine I'm not happy about, and I'll probably go back and try to tone that down.

JB7Qicy.jpg

Edited by AldousSnow

54 minutes ago, AldousSnow said:

@Jarlh Thanks so much.

The Anti-Aircraft Turret started as an idea mixing both designs from video games and wanting it to look vaguely AT-AT-esque. Here is the base shapes when I started. It consists of insulation foam, drywall spackle, and a wheel caster picked up for $3 at Home Depot.

Ow4If9B.jpg

After gluing the shapes together, I used a file and sandpaper to shape up the foam. The wheel was taken off the caster and it was inserted into the foam with gorilla glue. It has a full 360 rotation.

bhXjI54.jpg

After the basic shape was there, I used a technique called greebling. I just made that word up, but it is a real thing. A greeble, by definition, is an added detail that gives an otherwise made up or useless object look useful, while giving it scale. Basically, you glue stuff to it to make it look cool. There is a band of leather strap around the cylinder, the side walls were carved out, then covered in drywall sandpaper. the gun barrels are fish tank tube stuffed with a kabob skewer, and the rest of the greebles are random items from old model sprues. Mostly WWII bombers and the such. And the side circle caps are some random thing from Home Depot. Electral caps of sort. I hit it with a coat of black primer when all the pieces were glued on.

1wR1wd2.jpg

I did a base coat of light gray acrylic. I then did a subtle black wash over the entire gun. I followed up with a darker black wash for specific areas. I used a silver dry brush to hit the edges to show metal wear. And lastly I hit all appropriate spots with a black weathering powder. I'm thinking about adding rust effects, but that decision will be made when the board is closer to finished to see how "beaten up" the military base will be. The wash I used left a bit of a shine I'm not happy about, and I'll probably go back and try to tone that down.

JB7Qicy.jpg

Great design.  I really struggle to come up with ideas for myself.  Once I have an idea from somebody elses work, im usually pretty good at implementing it (part of the reason for this thread haha)

thx a million aldous . even thou i got a few years of miniature painting under the belt im still very fresh to the terrain building, was thinking of creating some kind of korriban setting such as from the swtor mmo. and having huge gun turrets such as yours fits right in.

3 hours ago, Jarlh said:

thx a million aldous . even thou i got a few years of miniature painting under the belt im still very fresh to the terrain building, was thinking of creating some kind of korriban setting such as from the swtor mmo. and having huge gun turrets such as yours fits right in.

I definitely had the Korriban turrets in mind when I made mine. What a great idea for a planet though. Desert valley, maybe a sith chamber, lots of rocky outcroppings and creepy statues.

Ive started laying out board 2. Coruscant, the lower levels. Trash ridden streets, neon Twilek signs. Maybe I'll do a full step by step walkthrough when I start that one.

Just so I can be a part of this thread, ill throw up some pics of my newly created game mat. Its mostely made for 40k but I recon it should work well for Legion as well with the right scenery, there are muddy desolate wastelands in star wars too :) 

I mixed sand and paint with latex caulk and covered a canvas cloth with it. Let it dry, cut it to size and then painted with a very thin shade followed by a drybrush. It came out decent and I might go over it with a second drybrush but as a base for a table it will do well.

On these pictures the mat has been rolled up for nearly two days so its a bit uneven but just as a FYI, when rolled out it straightens out and lies flat within a few minutes! So even though i was pretty generous with the caulk there is no issue storing the mat! 

Overview

iY3qp1U.jpg

Closeup of texture

YjXX7EN.jpg

With mini for scale and contrast

PGf1LGn.jpg

Edited by Soulless