Sign in to follow this  
s1ickrick

Stress squads

The original stress-squad was Panic attack; One Gold Squadron Y-wing with Ion Cannon, R3-A2, and the BTL-A4Title (The original "stresshog"), plus the B-wing/e2s with Tactician. Zack Mathews's variation using Roark Garnet with Ion Cannon and Intel Agent to counter Phantoms also saw some sucess. Panic Attack and it's variations fell out of favor because TLTs came dangerously close to outjousting it (Meaning that if the TLT player didn't give you a joust, you were up a river without a paddle), and Palpatine+Autothrusters meant you needed more than a 3-dice attack with a focus to reliably hit even a double stressed Ace. Triple Tactician Wookies are the first truly stress-based list to see competitive sucess that I can think of since then; We've certainly seen lists using the TLT-version of the "stresshog," or Gunner+R3-A2 builds with Braylen Stramm or Ezra Bridger, but that's an individual ship supporting a greater list, not a true stress control build.

If you want more, I would suggest you PM Zack Mathews (cattachanninja); He has played a lot of stress builds over the years, and can probably break down the variations for you better than all but a handful of people on this forum... assuming you can get him to put his ego aside for a minute anyway. :P*

*Disclaimer: Any taunting of Zack I do on the forums if purely for his amusement should he find this post.

Edited by Squark

Panic Attack: 3 Tactician B-Wings and an Ion Stresshog. 

Danger Zone: two Wardens and Miranda, all with TLT and Tactician. Doesn’t work anymore since Tactician only stress once off TLT. 

Maximum Danger Zone: two Wardens with TLT and Tactician, a TLT Stresshog, and a Z-95. 

Triple Wookiees: usually two Liberators with Expertise, Lowhriick with C-3P0 and Predator, all with Tactician. 

New wave: Ezra Stressbug with...other things. R3-A2 and some combination of Gunner, Tactician, and Snap Shot. 

Nien with R3-A2 and Snap Shot is also good, but pricey. 

Double Decimators is another version I have seen used, one with Rebel Captive (usually Chiranneu) and the other with Mara Jade.

I had my own version with Imperial Kath Scarlet with Snap Shot, Rebel Captive, Mangler cannon, Ion Bombs & Ion Missiles, plus Kylo Ren shuttle with Mara Jade and shuttle title.  I wouldn't really say it was the best build though as the stress upgrades on the shuttle couldn't stack so I only won 50% of my games with it, and the wins I got were mostly very narrow ones.

I am also a big fan of the Rhymer snap shot tactician build. If you enter his range 2 arc, you get a stress, halting any further repositions (some exceptions apply). Then in combat phase he taps you again with another.

Throw on OpSpec and now even if you miss and only apply stress, you still give focuses out. Way too expensive, but very fun for annoying someone.

Tried to PM Zack but it won’t let the message go through.  I want to learn all I can about stress builds from best squad to best single ship builds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I love Nien Nunb with R3A2. Some people put snapshot on too. When shooting at range one Nien doesn’t take stress, and everyone you’ll play will be amazed to see an x-wing that isn’t Poe or Jess.

saying that, I used him today and he was PS killed from 3h1s which made me sad.

I played with stress-ships, not stress-squads.
Stresshog (Gold squadron pilot with R3-A2, TLT, BTL-A4), stress-bomber (Major Rhymer with Snap Shot, Tactician and Rebel Captive) and stressbug (Ezra with R3-A2, Snap Shot, Gunner). Tried Nien Nunb, but found it not so stress and too expensive. Same with Braylen.

Ezra is best stress-dialer in my opinion, would try him with Tactician. Major Rhymer also effective, but slightly too expensive.