Jump to content
splad

Solo A Star Wars Story (Spoilers Ahead)

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Eoen said:

From the starwars.com site: "The blades’ metal edges are complemented by razor-sharp beams of electro-plasma."  

So the vibroweapons with glowing edges in TLJ are able to parry lightsabers, while the plain vanilla ones just have vibrating blades and will get sundered by lightsabers.

It's been my understanding that vibroweapons edges traditionally where described as glowing hot edges.  But the ones in Solo looked like the ones in TLJ, while the ones Jabba's guard had in RoJ just looked like standard axes.

That's been my understanding as well. "Vibroweapon" has traditionally been a catch-all for any power-pack equipped weapon that has a metal blade or point. Since lightsabers can cut through any metal (Cortosis has been relegated to "blaster-proof" at the moment),  and it's difficult to show a rapidly vibrating weapon on screen, weapons that can block lightsabers are always shown with an "energy" effect; like the riot-baton-wielding stormtrooper from The Force Awakens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 8:47 AM, Sturn said:

About to go see it today, but quick questions...

Were the "Imperial Army Troopers" wearing the armor of General Veers or sans-armor like the AT-ST drivers? Did the movie actually convey what these troops were up to? (guarding something, working on something, driving something, etc).

Though they're not referred to this on screen, the toys and visual guide book, refer to them as "mud troopers." They had the Veers'-style helmet and chest plate but also had full re-breather face masks and heavy coats/capes.

They were both guarding Imperial facilities and attacking local insurgents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, A7T said:

The Imperial Arrestor Cruiser, which was largely cut from the film, still appears appears in the recruitment film in Coronet Spaceport, flanked by a pair of Star Destroyers. Apparently, it's giant dishes are powerful tractor beam projectors. According to the art book, it was supposed to capture the Falcon at some point.

That ship is really ugly.  It seems like the more recent ship designs are missing the Lucas critical eye. They’re often based on rejected concepts from previous movies too.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eoen said:

That ship is really ugly.  It seems like the more recent ship designs are missing the Lucas critical eye. They’re often based on rejected concepts from previous movies too.

Which is odd, because why would you take the rejects? J

Edited by SEApocalypse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Arrestor was indeed a failed Star Destroyer concept from way back in the day.  The original concept artist that designed it said as much.  Also, they were told that the ship would be in Solo but was later cut (and yeah, it's still there in the recruitment video).  

I was glad to see that the Imperial Army was finally shown to be made up of troopers other than Stormtroopers although apparently the new Canon says that Stormtroopers are slowing replacing all the other troops.  The idea that Stormtroopers were an elite arm of the Empire with the vast majority of the Imperial Army being comprised of less heavily armored troops was always a staple of the RPG since the old WEG Imperial Sourcebook came out and is one that I have always stuck to throughout the years.  It's cool to see Lucasfilm finally acknowledge this (if even for a brief moment)

Edited by Otakuon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fail to see that it was “rejcted” from those links seeing how a lot of these things end up on the “good but maybe later” pile. 

Your post was meant to be derogatory towards the vehicle choices made and I have not yet seen anything that convinces me of such...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I fail to see that it was “rejcted” from those links seeing how a lot of these things end up on the “good but maybe later” pile. 

Your post was meant to be derogatory towards the vehicle choices made and I have not yet seen anything that convinces me of such...

Have you looked at the design?  The ships just looked better when Lucas was calling the shots.  Watch the star wars show at starwars.com Lucas arts is constantly mining the old reject piles if it's from one of the big old time artists, like Ralph McQuarrie.  No, they weren't saved for later that design is from the original movie it didn't make the cut.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Again, nothing you posted tells such a tale. 

You didn't read the article then.

"Although the Arrestor Cruiser and another vehicle called the Imperial Hauler appeared at Toy Fair, original trilogy concept artist Colin Cantwell had already given us a preview only last week. A New Hope went with a chunkier arrowhead look for Star Destroyers in 1977 which has become synonymous with the series, but now you can see what Cantwell first had in mind."

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eoen said:

You didn't read the article then.

"Although the Arrestor Cruiser and another vehicle called the Imperial Hauler appeared at Toy Fair, original trilogy concept artist Colin Cantwell had already given us a preview only last week. A New Hope went with a chunkier arrowhead look for Star Destroyers in 1977 which has become synonymous with the series, but now you can see what Cantwell first had in mind."

Which would indicate a redesign and not a reject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

WEG took the reject all thentime to fill in the gaps

Yes, they did and later Lucas arts took the rpg material and gave those out as reference material to authors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, DanteRotterdam said:

Which would indicate a redesign and not a reject. 

Ah no, its clearly a lot different than the Imperial Star Destroyer, although it does school (as in looks like Imperial Ship Designs).  Rejected as in didn't make it into A New Hope, and barely made it into Solo 40 years later; it's in a Imperial Nancy vy recruiting ad were it's been redesigned as a smaller and different class of ship.

27877693_1888182947878655_66383389219922

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read of other examples of this recycling as well...

- The 'turbo tanks' in RotS were based on designs for what was going to attack Hoth until someone said "Hey, what if they WALKED!?"

- Many of the Separatist ships from the beginning of the same movie were concepts for the Mon Cal cruisers which appeared in RotJ.

- The monkey guy in Rebels was based on an unused concept for Chewbacca.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vorzakk said:

I've read of other examples of this recycling as well...

- The 'turbo tanks' in RotS were based on designs for what was going to attack Hoth until someone said "Hey, what if they WALKED!?"

- Many of the Separatist ships from the beginning of the same movie were concepts for the Mon Cal cruisers which appeared in RotJ.

- The monkey guy in Rebels was based on an unused concept for Chewbacca.  

Rebels quite openly used a lot of the original Ralph McQuarrie (sp?) art - quite a few vehicles, and most famously, Darth Vader. The "Rebels" Vader's helmet is much longer and thinner than the movie version, and matches earlier concept art very closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daronil said:

Rebels quite openly used a lot of the original Ralph McQuarrie (sp?) art - quite a few vehicles, and most famously, Darth Vader. The "Rebels" Vader's helmet is much longer and thinner than the movie version, and matches earlier concept art very closely. 

The adherence to original concepts was not lost on me and probably Rebels will be the best thing to come out of Lucas for a while in regards to Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eoen said:

That ship is really ugly.  It seems like the more recent ship designs are missing the Lucas critical eye. They’re often based on rejected concepts from previous movies too.

I agree that the Arrestor is ugly, but I don't think it's Lucas or the lack of Lucas making the difference here.  I mean, think of the butt-ugly ship designs Lucas said yes to: Naboo fighter, Trade Federation battleship, droid tri-fighter(!)...

On the other hand, some of the new Disney-era designs have been pretty dang cool-looking: Ren's shuttle, Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, MC75 starscruiser...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

I agree that the Arrestor is ugly, but I don't think it's Lucas or the lack of Lucas making the difference here.  I mean, think of the butt-ugly ship designs Lucas said yes to: Naboo fighter, Trade Federation battleship, droid tri-fighter(!)...

On the other hand, some of the new Disney-era designs have been pretty dang cool-looking: Ren's shuttle, Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, MC75 starscruiser...

I love most of the ships in Rogue one, Krennic’s shuttle, the U-wings and the profundity are cool.  I dislike most first order designs except for the Star destroyer in TFA, the dreadnaught in TLJ is bleh, the shuttle Ren uses is bleh, the fighter he uses is weird.  

Most of la Resistance’s capital ships are awful looking with the exception of they’re cruiser.

Sorry I totally love the Tri-fighter, and the Naboo fighter, the CiS Dreadnaught is neat looking, the Lucrehulk is unique.  All of the clone wars fighters and shuttles are cool.

I think their design department needs some pushing them who isn’t a comity, it’s not necessarily Lucas but someone with a vision.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...