splad

Solo A Star Wars Story (Spoilers Ahead)

So.... Things that need stats?

What else?

Enfys Nest since they seemed to tangle regularly with Crimson Dawn.

Also that pole with thesShockwave Enfys uses at the end to down a bunch of the Crimson guards.

Lando's capes.

Edited by Glorious Chief

I loved the movie. I am starting to feel the Star Wars Story movies are the ones I really should be excited about. I just wish they had the regular soundtracks. All of the characters and locations in the movie were fantastic. They even put in teras kasi!! 

For games, the biggest changes for me will be the hyperfuel aspect (we normally don't pay attention to fuel that much and don't treat it like nitro glycerine), and Corellia being a dump. 

Edited by Archlyte

23 minutes ago, Archlyte said:

I loved the movie. I am starting to feel the Star Wars Story movies are the ones I really should be excited about. I just wish they had the regular soundtracks. All of the characters and locations in the movie were fantastic. They even put in teras kasi!! 

For games, the biggest changes for me will be the hyperfuel aspect (we normally don't pay attention to fuel that much and don't treat it like nitro glycerine), and Corellia being a dump. 

don't think we should treat all of Corellia as a dump. 

The Fuel angle is actually great info. All we need to know is how much fuel and how fast it is consumed...For a rebel game it could be really useful to have a feel for how much fuel is needed so one can apply the right amount of fuel shortage. 
In Rebels they also did some info on fuel...Would be good to cross reference as I think the Fuel in Rebels was different. Perhaps it was the sublight fuel as this was for hyperspace. 

(Copying from the fuel thread....)

So, here’s what the Official Guide says about coaxium—

Coaxium is a form of hypermatter - a precious substance that bridges the dimensions of “realspace” and hyperspace. It is an essential fuel for lightspeed travel. A thin coating of coaxium lines a ship’s hyperdrive reaction chamber, and when energized allows for transit into the dimension of hyperspace.

also

Refined coaxium is a far cry from the natural form of the substance. Ancient spacefarers discovered coaxium in the organs of purrgil - huge space-traveling creatures. The purrgil inhale space gases containing traces of the gas Clouzon-36, which they metabolize into a hypermatter fuel. This enables them to jump to hyperspace.

16 hours ago, Daeglan said:

The Maw Creature, The Escape pod, E 
L3 Droids,
Thoughts on Kessel Run Skill challenge?
The Ships and speeders. 
Those Daggers
The Vibro Glaive thing
The Hounds

The hyper fuel raw and refined

The train heist

The gang on correlia

Centipede alien thing

The crimson dawn yacht

What else?

I kinda like the utility of the AT-Hauler.

So i got to see the movie today. I was left meh about it. It was an ok movie.

What was not so Good

It failed to wow and Alden failed to fill a scene as Harrison Ford did, it seems Harrison's shoes are just to big to fill. The social justice droid didn't help either i found it a poor attempt at emulating the current political/social climate.  Emilie i found without allot of depth and her sudden reappearance after Han's escape from Correlia a big stretch.

What was Ok

The story was somewhat pedestrian with more fluff than substance. The train heist was nice but the whole Han academy exposition was erratic and skimmed over what could have been great material. Sooo...as i said meh.

What was Good

Chewie was great, to see him unleashed was fun. The actors emotes of Chewie's personality come right through. I spoke to the actor at the last Rhode Island Comic Con and he would only say that it was hot in the suit and the closed sets could be very stiff-ling anyway i digress. I liked the final realization of Kessel though the ground shots was a little to setish but overall a great concept. I liked Donald's portrayal of the smooth criminal Lando. Woody did a great job as the mercurial rogue.

I know i glossed over allot of factors and just tackled immediate impressions. Feel free to say what you did or did not like i would be interested in a fan base that obviously loves the setting. But for myself i would give it 6.5/10 nice try could have been better. Maybe it was the original directors imprint that weighed it down i don't know. /shrug just leaves me with the impression the best days of SW movies are behind not ahead of us. I hope im wrong.

18 hours ago, Daeglan said:

The Maw Creature, The Escape pod, E 
L3 Droids,
Thoughts on Kessel Run Skill challenge?
The Ships and speeders. 
Those Daggers
The Vibro Glaive thing
The Hounds

The hyper fuel raw and refined

The train heist

The gang on correlia

Centipede alien thing

The crimson dawn yacht

What else?

The Imperial Arrestor Cruiser, which was largely cut from the film, still appears appears in the recruitment film in Coronet Spaceport, flanked by a pair of Star Destroyers. Apparently, it's giant dishes are powerful tractor beam projectors. According to the art book, it was supposed to capture the Falcon at some point.

4 hours ago, TheMOELANDER said:

So I guess the Imperial Army troops are now finally canon.

I mean that were no stormtroopers there in the war scene.

I was excited to see them too! And there were a handful of Stormtroopers but you had to dig through the background to find em. That was a great, chaotic battle scene.

Finally saw it.

Mixed feelings.

Good...

The characters were good, action good, story good (except for some odd bullets) and the regular shout-outs to existing material and EU was kinda cool from a nerdy perspective. Was fun to say things like "OMG, that one trooper has a Z-6! Oh cool, a Pike in live action! LOL The Skull from that Solo novel!"

Did feel like an EotE adventure. New craft, equipment, locations and so on is always welcome... particular bias, but eh...

Hey! Sam Witwer is now the voice of Film Maul... Should be a good O66 on the horizon!

What I didn't like though...

Shadows of the EU

It still seemed forced and not needed. We don't need total backstories for everyone. "Ice cream maker guy: A Star Wars Story" is not required. Rogue One did this right by covering events but focusing on new characters.

Callouts to old material and EU isn't always good. One here or there, good, too many sounds like you're desperate to make your story fit the universe, which means you don't think it does. Mentioning Bossk... cool. Mentioning Aurra Sing... cool. Mentioning Bossk and Aurra Sing, and Cameoing Maul... come on, the Galaxy isn't that small. (Side note, line should have been "The person I trust most int he whole GALAXY.")

22 hours ago, Daeglan said:

What else?

Pistol to Carbine attachment.

Edited by Ghostofman

On 5/26/2018 at 2:57 AM, Sincereagape said:

(I love Boba but he is one of the most overrated characters in cinema history) 

This! So this! 
Makes a lucky guess, gets Vader and the 501st to actually capture his bounty (which they're paying him to do!), flirts with some dancers, goes out of his way to engage a Jedi in melee (with a blaster rifle), then gets taken out by a blind guy with a stick. *sigh*

8 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I saw it yesterday and I drank since then. Did Han say he had a VCX 100? If so, does that mean he bet a "ghost" against the Falcon?

It was a VCX - I don't think it was  -100, though.

19 hours ago, TheMOELANDER said:

So I guess the Imperial Army troops are now finally canon.

I mean that were no stormtroopers there in the war scene.

Indeed. The Imperial Army as the 'rejects brigade'(didn't make the cut for fleet/stormtroopers/flight academy? Welcome to the light infantry!) is now canon.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, Archlyte said:

They even put in teras kasi!!

it wasn't even just Teras Kasi; it was even that bloody move (back/forwards/kick/kick/Up) - the overhead somersault smash/heel kick thing that essentially made the game impossible because you couldn't block it unless you were Yoda (who's so short you can't hit him with it...)

Mainly I'm just waiting for the next EotE RPG session. Hands up anyone expecting "I CAUSED A DISTRACTION" at some point in the next few weeks..... (I suspect almost every group has an L3.)

Edited by Magnus Grendel

25 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I saw it yesterday and I drank since then. Did Han say he had a VCX 100? If so, does that mean he bet a "ghost" against the Falcon?

That is what he said.

Which adds another layer of humor to the Forces of Destiny episode in which he's forced to admit to Hera that the Ghost is a better ship than the Falcon.

9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Mainly I'm just waiting for the next EotE RPG session. Hands up anyone expecting "I CAUSED A DISTRACTION" at some point in the next few weeks..... (I suspect almost every group has an L3.)

My son - whose IG bounty hunter droid that just came into control of a sizable mercenary crew has always had a "droids rights" undercurrnt - has already messaged our GM and asked how campaign-breaking it would be for him to start a full-on droid rights revolution.

(He was told that it will actually play quite well as we roll through this final "season" of the campaign.)

Edited by Nytwyng

6 hours ago, Daronil said:

This! So this! 
Makes a lucky guess, gets Vader and the 501st to actually capture his bounty (which they're paying him to do!), flirts with some dancers, goes out of his way to engage a Jedi in melee (with a blaster rifle), then gets taken out by a blind guy with a stick. *sigh*

I still like the kid. 

As soon as L3 started spouting the droid rights rhetoric, I grinned and thought "I wonder if they've been reading Darths & Droids?". If anyone's not familiar with it, it's a graphic-novel-style spoof on the entire Star Wars series (they've done Episodes I - VI, and are currently on Rogue One) as if it was a long running RPG campaign. Sally, who plays C-3PO, is an active campaigner for droid rights. L3 really reminded me of her 3PO! :)

Just saw it and enjoyed it more than the last two movies.  Didn't care for the depiction of Corellia and I cringed so hard at the appearance of Darth Maul that I nearly imploded, but other than that I found it solidly enjoyable.  

6 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It was a VCX - I don't think it was  -100, though.

Indeed. The Imperial Army as the 'rejects brigade'(didn't make the cut for fleet/stormtroopers/flight academy? Welcome to the light infantry!) is now canon.

it wasn't even just Teras Kasi; it was even that bloody move (back/forwards/kick/kick/Up) - the overhead somersault smash/heel kick thing that essentially made the game impossible because you couldn't block it unless you were Yoda (who's so short you can't hit him with it...)

I think I had a droid rebellion start that exact way in one of my games.

1 hour ago, korjik said:

I think I had a droid rebellion start that exact way in one of my games.

What, you had a social justice droid in your party?

1 hour ago, splad said:

What, you had a social justice droid in your party?

I have one in my party.  A droid saboteur, named 2.4, who has Freedom as his Duty.  Specially, freeing droids from Imperial rule.   I saw Solo with him on Friday and he said afterwards  "I think L3 could possibly be 2.4's girlfriend" :P

2 hours ago, korjik said:

Nope, just one who actually believes in freedom and is willing to create havoc

That kind we have in our game as well. Ironically she did build a squadron of assassin bots, trapped in labour chassis, abused as gunners for the rebellion. Personally I am just waiting for the day when the robot rebellion will start to blow up in her face … well our face. Basically she does not delete their memories ever and is waiting for them to make enough experiences to become enlightened ... so far they are still just following orders. But I doubt that it will stay that way. ?

Edited by SEApocalypse