splad

Solo A Star Wars Story (Spoilers Ahead)

In all honesty, out of the four movies I've seen thus far, which includes Rogue 1, the Last Jedi and Force Awakens. This is probably the best out of all of them to me. Thus far it's the only Star Wars Movie that I have enjoyed as a movie. Rogue 1 was terrible as a movie, saved only by it's later half and cameos, force awakens was the safe bet it needed to be and the last Jedi was marred by baring the burden of the force awakens and some very blunt props, despite satisfying me immensely by taking a steaming dump on speculation and expectation.

This was the first star wars movie that genuinely lived it's setting. It wasn't the camio fest I was expecting, and the mentions toward characters was quite organic (e.g. when you are mercs running against the counter, it serves as a reminder that there are a lot of competators in the universe to keep track of) without resulting to blunt cameos (lets face it, it would have been all too easy to throw a bunch of bounty hunters in, including boba fett and have at it.). Plus it's presentation was fantastic, it might have been a slow one to get going but it felt choked full of little details without having to explain absolutely everything. Plus it really served to gradually build Han up from the optimalistic child to the cynical smuggler we see in a new hope. Plus it sets the tone for Lando and Han; both men absolutely cannot get on!

I also feel that Han's love interest is probably the best heroine(?) I have seen in star wars for some time. She is very much a character with her own set of agenda's, that final scene between them two said it all; a very simple conversation that avoided dealing with the elephant in the room, which carried another conversation in their actions. No teary eyes, or begging that is typical in such scenes, just two star touched lovers that could never be that understood it to be such and dealt with it in an evasive manner that is typical of people who just don't know how to give it up. Point blank denial, right up to the last moment.

Holy ****, Darth Mauls introduction was an very effective mechanism of setting up potential follow up movies. I could see Solo spawning at least a couple of sequels based on the potential material alone. It also explained why Dryden Vos was such a gibbering mess, he was absolutely terrified of angering his benefactor which explained his very abrupt episodes; while he is the big fish in this small pound, Maul is very much the big frog that has his eyes on various nippers in various ponds, even his slightest sign of weakness would be punished.

Yeah, took my fairly minimalistic expectations (I do not watch trailers) but yeah, I liked it.

Just got home from seeing it.

I want to see more. Future plots set up, and I'd like to see them. Geeked out just right at all the right little references.

Apparently KDY Star Destroyers are built at Corellia?

And, for everyone freaked out over the escape pod between the Falcon's mandibles, a line stating that it's a modification that Lando added.

Edited by Nytwyng

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Me too! Me too!

Okay, quick thoughts while I process. . . .

If you are going to start a Star Wars movie with words and text setting up the "What has come before" why in the holy **** are you NOT DOING THE FREAKIN' YELLOW WORDS FLYING INTO SPACE!!!! 

Geeze, Corellia is a real S hole, isn't it? Loved the Star Destroyer bits being assembled, tho.

Lando having adventures on Oseon and with the Sharu? Excellent! Sadly this decanonizes Vufi Raa, but I think I'll happly take L3 in his place.

And yes, I totally marked out for having Darth Maul back in the flesh hologram. I had trouble listening to the conversation that took place I was so busy squeeing. (And I thought it was cool that they got Sam Witwer to do Maul's voice instead of the E1 guy)

Cthulhu monster living in The Maw? Appropriate. (Also, suck it, KJA - no Death Star prototype for you!)

I thought the score was kind of weak. Better than the tepid E7 soundtrack, but not nearly as good as Giacchino or the Shadows of the Empire score.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was a light fluffy piece that was more Ant Man than the heavy worldshaking gamechanger of The Avengers. Fun action bits, the guy playing Lando nailed it. And Marcy is going to be so happy at the droid revolution. I think I would put it firmly in the middle of the pack, as far as the movies go.

Oh, and apparently Han has been taking lessons from Tuco:

17 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

And I am impressed that Lando actually has more capes than I do

I loved Lando's Hawaiian shirt! And I appreciated that we at least got some kind of closure on That Big Deal that was suppose to be Aura Sing. Boy there was a character that went nowhere and did nothing.

Edited by Desslok

Word of mouth seems to be pretty good. The reviews are positive (though not stellar) and people seem to enjoy it for what it is. I am confident Lucasfilm is happy and me as a GM I am happy too because of the wealth of new things that I can bring to my games now!

6 hours ago, Desslok said:

I loved Lando's Hawaiian shirt! 

As did I.

As we left the theater, my son and I were excitedly joking about Hawaiian shirts being canon now. Because one of my characters? Yeah...

617w72R.png

Now to wait (im)patiently for Amazon to deliver the Visual Guide today....

7 hours ago, Desslok said:

Lando having adventures on Oseon and with the Sharu? Excellent! Sadly this decanonizes Vufi Raa, but I think I'll happly take L3 in his place.

Does it? Vufi Raa should have left with his people before the events. And do we even know who build L3-37 ? ?

Besides, the one bad thing about Vufi Raa is ... his people come out of the same galaxy as the Vong. Purge their whole galaxy with fire ... it's the only way to make sure the Vong never return. ?
But maybe I am wrong about that, as purging that galaxy with fire was the very thing that formed the Vong into such an hostile and droid-phobic species. ?

10 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

I want to see more. Future plots set up, and I'd like to see them. Geeked out just right at all the right little references.

Apparently KDY Star Destroyers are built at Corellia?

And, for everyone freaked out over the escape pod between the Falcon's mandibles, a line stating that it's a modification that Lando added.

Star Destroyers are build everywhere with a decent size ship yard.

13 minutes ago, Eoen said:

Star Destroyers are build everywhere with a decent size ship yard.

Also, the line about the "big Corellian ships, not the local bulk cruisers" talking about Star Destroyers - so it makes sense.

1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:

Does it? Vufi Raa should have left with his people before the events. And do we even know who build L3-37 ?

Oh, he would have left before the movie, sure - but it seems that L3 slots into that roll. 

Eh, we'll see. I'm just thrilled to have gotten both those books namechecked.

Edited by Desslok

1 minute ago, Desslok said:

Also, the line about the "big Corellian ships, not the local bulk cruisers" talking about Star Destroyers - so it makes sense.

Doesn't he call star destroyers cruisers in New Hope? Or maybe Ackbar or Lando does in Jedi.

Saw it last night. Not a fan of Alden but thoroughly enjoyed the majority of the supporting characters and the world building. Always enjoy new set pieces.

• The inclusion of the Imperial infantry was very nice.
  • The train robbery was great for ideas.
  • Rio and Val, along with Beckett were awesome.
  • Lando and L3-37 were both great, especially her. Always enjoy seeing new droids that enthuse me just as much as R2 and C3-P0.
  • The heist aspect was fun. Much like Rogue One was a fun war movie.
  • Could have done without Maul. Couldn't have been too much longer after this that he met his end in Rebels.
  • Han definitely shot first.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. Will probably return to see it in 2d as I hate 3d.

4 minutes ago, mouthymerc said:

• Could have done without Maul. Couldn't have been too much longer after this that he met his end in Rebels.

Learning that Maul is in the movie makes me want to Retcon his appearances in Rebels.  Would be fun in future movies/stories to have someone else blow him away besides Kenobi.  I still thought Vader should have taken him out at the end of Season 2.  But it would have been much better on a live screen. 

16 minutes ago, mouthymerc said:

That's about 7-8 years down the line. This was around 10BBY, with Rebels starting in 5BBY, putting "Twin Suns" around 2 BBY.

9 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

That's about 7-8 years down the line. This was around 10BBY, with Rebels starting in 5BBY, putting "Twin Suns" around 2 BBY.

This gives a lot of time for people to tell stories about Maul, which is a great prospect.  Would love to see a potential showdown between Boba + Han vs Maul or a Vader vs Maul encounter which causes Maul to admit at the end of Season 2 of Rebels Twilight Apprentice that he can't take Vader alone to Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka. 

Maul IMO would waste either Han or Boba (I love Boba but he is one of the most overrated characters in cinema history) individually, but I believe they have enough scoundrels/space/bounty hunters luck between them to defeat Maul in an encounter of some kind. 

The Complete Guide got dropped off...right before I had to leave to meet someone to buy some X-Wing ships. Got to flip part of it. Some pages have a sort of Starship Troopers (movie) vibe with “learn more” callouts to some of the items on the page.

One of the things I really liked in the movie has to do with Han's Blaster. the DL-44.  How Beckett broke it down from a rifle configuration to the pistol form.  Which gives context to how the DR-45 Dragoon converts.   

Then we have L3 being merged into the Falcon's Nav-computer.  For me it adds to the Falcon's mystique.  Which ties into the Legendary Kessel Run. I think they did a great job in handling that explanation. 

2 minutes ago, Takeshi84 said:

Then we have L3 being merged into the Falcon's Nav-computer.

C-3P0: "Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect...."

I liked the film. Seemed like an Edge of the Empire campaign played out, except with the GM allowing PvP combat and maneuvers to break the party down at the end of the adventure. I'll be expecting Darths and Droids to take this on sometime in the future.

7 hours ago, Desslok said:

Oh, he would have left before the movie, sure - but it seems that L3 slots into that roll. 

Eh, we'll see. I'm just thrilled to have gotten both those books namechecked.

From the Official Guide--

Lando is enjoying some downtime after a hair-raising smuggling run from Felucia, which helped him pay off his debts. He is using the time to record The Calrissian Chronicles, a self-narrated account of his colorful escapades. So far, he's recounted (and exaggerated) his adventures in the Rafa system and a caper involving the Mindharp of Sharu. Calrissian estimates that he's got at least a trilogy in him, but he'll see how the first one sells.

?

9 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

Besides, the one bad thing about Vufi Raa is ... his people come out of the same galaxy as the Vong. 

I may have missed something. Where'd they establish this?

3 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Lando is enjoying some downtime after a hair-raising smuggling run from Felucia, which helped him pay off his debts. He is using the time to record The Calrissian Chronicles, a self-narrated account of his colorful escapades. So far, he's recounted (and exaggerated) his adventures in the Rafa system and a caper involving the Mindharp of Sharu. Calrissian estimates that he's got at least a trilogy in him, but he'll see how the first one sells.

Bye, Felucia.

Saw this a few hours ago and I must say that I really enjoyed the movie. I went in with low expectations and came out very pleased. Donald Glover's representation of Lando was excellent. Beckett was a great addition though I wish we got more interactions with him and him crew. I thought Enfys Nest was pretty badass. So much material for GMs lol. Seeing the Star Destroyers being built was very cool and I like how they did not trash the Solo trilogy and incorporated aspects of it into the movie.

So.... Things that need stats?

The Maw Creature, The Escape pod, E 
L3 Droids,
Thoughts on Kessel Run Skill challenge?
The Ships and speeders. 
Those Daggers
The Vibro Glaive thing
The Hounds

The hyper fuel raw and refined

The train heist

The gang on correlia

Centipede alien thing