Jump to content
splad

Solo A Star Wars Story (Spoilers Ahead)

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

?

This is a face only a mother could love:

latest?cb=20050723062604

?

It’s supposed to be designed by an insect race. It’s the space version of the Droideka. ?

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Solo what the heck is that weapon Enfys Nest uses, she even parried blaster shots.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vorzakk said:

I've read of other examples of this recycling as well...

- The 'turbo tanks' in RotS were based on designs for what was going to attack Hoth until someone said "Hey, what if they WALKED!?"

The ironic thing about this is that the turbo tanks were based on a vehicle described in the old WEG Imperial Sourcebook which was in turn derived from the concept art of an original “AT-AT”design (which I was pleasantly surprised to see show up in Rogue One again). Actually, about 80% of the material in that book is based on rejected concept art (along with much of the WEG stuff for that matter): torpedo spheres are based on Death Star concept art, COMPNOR troopers are based on Stormtrooper concept art, Victory Class Star Destroyer’s are based on ISD concept art, etc.

Edited by Otakuon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eoen said:

Speaking of Solo what the heck is that weapon Enfys Nest uses, she even parried blaster shots.

According to the Pablo Hidalgo’s Visual Guide, Enfys Nest’s armor is equipped with a foldable shield on her left forearm. It’s a kind of metallic warfan used to deflect even blaster bolts.

However, I am quite interested as you are with her melee weapon. Wookieepedia mentions the “electroripper staff”, I have the French edition of the Visual Guide who references the électrohallebarde (electro halberd, electro glaive?).

Special rules for a short range and directed Blast effect ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It surprises me to see how well liked Solo is by the fans. I guess the safe, low stakes script and nostalgic approach does work for the larger crowd of enthusiasts.
Mind you, I am not judging and I too enjoyed the movie (although I would hardly call it a great movie) but it baffles me how diametrically opposed to the general movie-going public and reviewers this trend seems to be.

- TFA was well reviewed and well liked by audiences but got a lot of **** from the fans.

- Rogue One was reviewed as a mediocre movie that was all over the place but had a great final act yet it is hailed as a masterpiece by a lot of the fanbase (some even putting it alongside or above ESB)

- TLJ was reviewed with accolades and the general public raved about it, yet the fandom has been split down the middle over it.

- Solo was once again reviewed as being "okay" and it is not performing as well as expected, but the fandom is being extremely positive about it.

Star Wars fans are a weird bunch ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

It surprises me to see how well liked Solo is by the fans. I guess the safe, low stakes script and nostalgic approach does work for the larger crowd of enthusiasts.
Mind you, I am not judging and I too enjoyed the movie (although I would hardly call it a great movie) but it baffles me how diametrically opposed to the general movie-going public and reviewers this trend seems to be.

- TFA was well reviewed and well liked by audiences but got a lot of **** from the fans.

- Rogue One was reviewed as a mediocre movie that was all over the place but had a great final act yet it is hailed as a masterpiece by a lot of the fanbase (some even putting it alongside or above ESB)

- TLJ was reviewed with accolades and the general public raved about it, yet the fandom has been split down the middle over it.

- Solo was once again reviewed as being "okay" and it is not performing as well as expected, but the fandom is being extremely positive about it.

Star Wars fans are a weird bunch ;)

In my opinion - 

- TFA was the movie it needed to be for newer fans. I was fine with that and found it entertaining enough, though the endless mystery boxes were somewhat irritating, that and it didn't really break any new ground in regards to the setting. Basically retelling a new hope. 

- Rogue One was as good as Green Lantern or superman vs batman. Some quality moments which is undermined by how underwhelming the core of the movie is. I was promised a war movie and got this garbage? Only salavaged by some genuinely funny characters and endless, bluntly applied cameos? I'm personally not a fan.

- I initially liked TLJ because it took a big steaming dump on expectations. The biggest problems with it was two-fold; elementary story arcs with some terrible shoe in characters (Poe vs Admiral Nightinggown/Mightbeapurplehairedforceuseraccordingtointerviews could have been handled much better and more organically then introducing a character who's only purpose is to be the NO instead of; I don't know, actually using Poe's connection to the Pilot's as a painful reminder that rash decisions are bad. The hacker storyline in general was uninspired and was a wasted opportunity for some world building. You know, having Finn go out and find people to fight for the resistance would have given him some purpose, only for the intial escape pod slip away to be noticed. Oh and more Phasma, because her initial introduction wasn't underwhelming enough.) and having to handle the sheer amount of mystery boxes TFA set up. It's one of those movies that really could have done with a better story board rather then the toss up that made up the middle arc of the movie.  Had a really good arc for Rey/Kylo/Luke and I for one really loved Luke's snarkiness on a binding power that never really gave him anything in return for his service; just Finn and Poe's arcs were quite shallow and artifcal at times, rather then exploring what it was really like within the resistance.

- Solo might have been fairly safe, but the one thing it did exceptionally well was living it's universe. That and even though it was a "slow" movie at times it never felt like it was bogged down in detail, every scene did something and it really gave gravity to that later meeting with Lando that Solo had quite clearly dreaded in Episode 5. There was always something happening. Basically the exact oppersite to TLJ, the new ground it broke was limited (though it gave a rich story to what was simply, the kessel run) but it benefited greatly from a solid story board setting out and correct use of foreshadowing. It was never confused about who it's main plot is and that is exceedingly important.

Edited by LordBritish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eoen said:

I can't remember the squibs which book are they in?

 

Battle for the Golden Sun, I think. Its an old adventure module from the WEG days.

Edit: Its actually Scavenger Hunt. Golden Sun had a sentient sea lion species.

Edited by Kabal
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So am I supposed to know the Wookiee that Chewie encountered in the mines?  I mean they heavily implied that the Wookiee in question had developed something similar to Chewie's bond with Han, as you see that human yell the Wookiee's name (which I couldn't make out by the way? Was I supposed to recognize the name? Too much background noise to understand him)  And you see that Wookiee clearly torn on whether or not to go with the human or Chewie.   My theory is that the human saved them while in the mines, and they came to rely on each other for survival, so the Wookiee felt compelled to stick with that person.  

Are they from some other bit of the franchise?   Or are they a plot seed for some spin-off thing in the near future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

So am I supposed to know the Wookiee that Chewie encountered in the mines?  I mean they heavily implied that the Wookiee in question had developed something similar to Chewie's bond with Han, as you see that human yell the Wookiee's name (which I couldn't make out by the way? Was I supposed to recognize the name? Too much background noise to understand him)  And you see that Wookiee clearly torn on whether or not to go with the human or Chewie.   My theory is that the human saved them while in the mines, and they came to rely on each other for survival, so the Wookiee felt compelled to stick with that person.  

Are they from some other bit of the franchise?   Or are they a plot seed for some spin-off thing in the near future?

I think it was just a way to give Anthony Daniels a role in the movie.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eoen said:

I think it was just a way to give Anthony Daniels a role in the movie.

So I was supposed to recognize the human that was on-screen for 0.5 seconds?  And that's the only thing I was to take away from that entire interaction?    Well that would be lame if that's the case.   I mean, the focus was clearly on the Wookiees, the human was an ancillary part of that entire scene.   Surely they wanted us to take away more from it than just that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:48 AM, Eoen said:

That ship is really ugly.  It seems like the more recent ship designs are missing the Lucas critical eye. They’re often based on rejected concepts from previous movies too.

If the Mattel die-cast is anything to go off of, it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing when viewed from the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, copperbell said:

So any chance of a Solo Beginner box set based around either Enfys Nest or the freed prisoners on Kessel?

No but I'm sure players will make some homebrewed versions of them in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eoen said:

Speaking of Solo what the heck is that weapon Enfys Nest uses, she even parried blaster shots.

I'm guessing it's the nebulous "energy weapon" concept most creators use to replicate some of the stuff that lightsabers can do, without actually being lightsabers.   Some combination of shield/vibro-blade technology, and really good reflexes.   The bottom part of her staff seems like some kind of repulsor/concussive device, given the way she uses it to apply a massive amount of kinetic force to a location, either to repel herself away (from the doomed train in one example), or to knock back a ton of badguys (in the desert scene at the end).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was weird when Enfys Nest took off her mask and everyone was surprised and immediately trusted her.  So a young-looking woman can't possibly be a villainous marauder?  It felt like that was the implication.

I'm not saying it was "problematic" or whatever, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A7T said:

If the Mattel die-cast is anything to go off of, it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing when viewed from the side.

So are you saying she looks good in profile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Eoen said:

So are you saying she looks good in profile?

Well, it looks less awkward, but the Arrestor isn't for everyone. It's growing on me, though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the book will explain WHY they were surprised by Enfys Nest's revelation?

I actually wondered if Han's mentor actually killed her mother, but was unaware of this so they assumed Enfys was actually her mother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A7T said:

Well, it looks less awkward, but the Arrestor isn't for everyone. It's growing on me, though 

The hot wheel toy looked a bit different from the 1976 design.  I’m not sure if that’s just to toy making process or if the cgi model is different as well.

I’m not sure about it’s worth as a ship class it seems like it’s mostly a interdictor role so limited to capturing capital ships and other large vessels.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, copperbell said:

Maybe the book will explain WHY they were surprised by Enfys Nest's revelation?

I actually wondered if Han's mentor actually killed her mother, but was unaware of this so they assumed Enfys was actually her mother?

In all honesty, the leader of the band being a child would be surprising for most. One of our PC's found a fountain of youth (an imperial assassin turned alliance defector) that removed 1/3 of her age and any scars. As such she is only 15, which when she isn't clad in full armour really confuses people. "Is is one of the most dangerous members of Predator Squad?" e.c.t. As such it would be super surprising to see a kid under the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

So I was supposed to recognize the human that was on-screen for 0.5 seconds?  And that's the only thing I was to take away from that entire interaction?    Well that would be lame if that's the case.   I mean, the focus was clearly on the Wookiees, the human was an ancillary part of that entire scene.   Surely they wanted us to take away more from it than just that?

Despite the fact he’s in every movie in the franchise, I believe this is the first starwars film where you can see his face.  So it is kind of a big deal; from a certain point of view.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eoen said:

Despite the fact he’s in every movie in the franchise, I believe this is the first starwars film where you can see his face.  So it is kind of a big deal; from a certain point of view.

That honor goes to Attack of the Clones.

c3a2babad4df6e25efd9f90279bc11ff.jpg

Edited by Nytwyng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...