Sign in to follow this  
Glucose98

I feel an uptick with this game

There's been a lot of new faces posting images on Facebook and on these forums in the past month.  Everyone seems to still really like game's ruleset, and has enjoyed the games they've managed to get in.  Kind of exciting to see.  I'm sure we'll get some news on it soon.  It definitely appears that FFG was artificially pumping the game last year before Christmas.  Usually news for the miniatures games isn't that insanely regular.  It helps that this is their own IP as well.  They want to build it, and they don't have to charge a premium to purchase (looking at you Legion).

Also -- if any of you guys like your white primer -- you'd better freagin collect it before those hordes of stormtroopers get released.

Tell me how it comes the Runewars miniatures go the long way in the upcoming column from " in developing" to " awaiting printing " to " at the Printer" to "shipping now " to " on the boat" to "in the Shops"  while new and reprinted x-wing models appear " on the boat" ? X- wing has a Primary Label that let other products wait. Runewars is one of that other product that has to wait, with no priority. For me this is a sign ffg is disappointed from selling (selling what ? that not even completed base armies?) and have lost interest in the game.

9 minutes ago, magicrealm said:

Tell me how it comes the Runewars miniatures go the long way in the upcoming column from " in developing" to " awaiting printing " to " at the Printer" to "shipping now " to " on the boat" to "in the Shops"  while new and reprinted x-wing models appear " on the boat" ? X- wing has a Primary Label that let other products wait. Runewars is one of that other product that has to wait, with no priority. For me this is a sign ffg is disappointed from selling (selling what ? that not even completed base armies?) and have lost interest in the game.

Uuhh...don't X-wing ships usually go through the whole process? And if they don't, isn't it reasonable that that would be the exception, not the rule? They are FFG's cash cow after all. And they have movie tie-ins that require carefully times releases.

I wish people would stop comparing Runewars to X-wing. It has much more in common with Armada, which has a more tempered release pace. 

And I do believe, as others have said, that at some point they're going to need to have concurrent releases among factions so that every faction gets something new at the same time. They can either hold off on stuff that's already developed, or speed up production on the stuff that's still being developed. Some players probably would like speed, but I'd rather have a well-developed game. Besides, with Legion likely hugging up printers, they aren't really in a position to ramp up production of Runewars.

With limited resources, they can't have all games going full-throttle all the time. FFG is a game company, not a Runewars company. They have to push other products, too.

Runewars had a really good run last year. I can't think of any other FFG game that had so many products announced and released in one year. FFG didn't release that much product in hopes of a sales miracle. I think it was all the up-front investment for a game line they hope will last for years. I'm sure we'll never see the level of support we saw last year ever again, but that's because the game is pretty much set up now. Once we have the Uthuk expansions, a couple releases each year is all we'll need and probably all we'll get. It doesn't mean sales were awful.

Edited by Budgernaut

Honestly at the moment, it *feels* like they've been pushing the Legion printing and halted some of the Runewars printing for the time being.   Though the plastics are different, so I'm not sure if those have a true overlap or not?  And obviously, they're pumping the Legion news currently as it's about to release.  Ebb and flow.

This game *isn't* as popular as Star Wars.  It's IP pretty fantasy-generic, and there's not much out there to get you excited about its lore (yet).  So yeah, I expect this to be a small market compared to Star Wars, all the way through the end.  Doesn't mean it can't work though.  The ruleset is much different with rank and file then 'move and shoot with focus fire'.  I *do* wonder if Legion will have an accessibility problem with its terrain though?  WIth the Star Wars label, they're going to pull a lot of new people into the painted miniatures hobby, but 3D terrain is an even bigger hurdle for new people to overcome?

Armada gives me hope. Even with the strength of the IP it's a niche game with a fairly limited playerbase. It's been admittedly pretty neglected, but it's still alive and well. I don't need Runewars to be a juggernaut, it's got such a good foundation that any support at all can keep it going.

4 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Honestly at the moment, it *feels* like they've been pushing the Legion printing and halted some of the Runewars printing for the time being.   Though the plastics are different, so I'm not sure if those have a true overlap or not?  And obviously, they're pumping the Legion news currently as it's about to release.  Ebb and flow.

This game *isn't* as popular as Star Wars.  It's IP pretty fantasy-generic, and there's not much out there to get you excited about its lore (yet).  So yeah, I expect this to be a small market compared to Star Wars, all the way through the end.  Doesn't mean it can't work though.  The ruleset is much different with rank and file then 'move and shoot with focus fire'.  I *do* wonder if Legion will have an accessibility problem with its terrain though?  WIth the Star Wars label, they're going to pull a lot of new people into the painted miniatures hobby, but 3D terrain is an even bigger hurdle for new people to overcome?

I'm no manufacturing expert. I'm not even a plastics expert. The Legion minis look to be in the same exact category of plastic that every single FFG game uses.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

I've posted this before, but I don't mind the "generic" setting of Terrinoth at all.  There is a lot of material out there, it's just spread out over Runewars, Runebound, Rune Age, Battlelore 2nd Edition, Descent, etc.  Dig into that and there's good stuff there. Or ignore it and inject your own ideas into the game. Works either way. 

I just know that, at some point somewhere in a game of Legion, Darth Vader is going to wade into battle, completely whiff his combat roll, then wind up getting dragged to death by a passing airspeeders tow cable. Might be good for a laugh, but it's going to seem silly.  Relying too much on lore/setting can be a bad thing. 

5 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I wish people would stop comparing Runewars to X-wing. It has much more in common with Armada, which has a more tempered release pace. 

Agreed, I actual had a laugh a few days ago when I saw an X-Wing reddit post along the lines of “WTF?? No news? FFG doesn’t care about this game??” With waves 12/13 have just dropped on what, Dec 9th or something?  Don’t think anyone has room to talk compared to armada when it comes to patience.

23 hours ago, Parakitor said:

This. This. Soooo much this.

As a new Rune Wars player and keen X-Wing and Armada player I would agree that this game isn’t that similar to X-Wing but I don’t think it’s close to Armada either.  The pre-painted nature of both Star Wars games makes a faster pace of release easier for those without unlimited time to manage.  I thoroughly enjoy painting, but I only have so much time.  If stuff released at a 40K pace my backlog of unpainted figures would start getting some attention from my wife.  As is I should be able to maintain two armies without killing my time to play or my wallet.