GM Hooly

The Dice Pool Podcast - Episode List

On 4/18/2018 at 8:16 AM, GM Hooly said:

And you will also need this to follow along at home:

Episodic Adventure Sheet

I love this!  You guys did another fantastic job with the podcast.  Here I was, beginning to think I was the only one who remembered Dream Park  (I got hooked on the book before I found out there was an RPG for it.)  Great implementation and lovely sheet!

Edited by BlamedCat
adding words...

The latest episode is here and ready for download from iTunes or your favourite podcast feeder:

Season 2 - LIVE PLAY: Voyage of Calamity - CHAPTER 1

This is an Actual Play Episode using the Genesys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. Prepare to sail the wind currents high above the Night's Edge as we visit the world introduced in our first Setting Roulette of the podcast. In this Chapter 1 of Season 2 of The Dice Pool Podcast Live Play Series, we join four intrepid heroes, the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Jonah Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw, all of the lightning trawler Calamity, on their first adventure where brave a powerful arcane storm in search of fortune and glory. Will our heroes survive their first encounter? Listen in to find out!

Edited by GM Hooly

2 hours ago, GM Hooly said:

The latest episode is here!

This is an Actual Play Episode using the Genesys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. Prepare to sail the wind currents high above the Night's Edge as we visit the world introduced in our first Setting Roulette of the podcast. In this Chapter 1 of Season 2 of The Dice Pool Podcast Live Play Series, we join four intrepid heroes, the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw, all of the lightning trawler Calamity, on their first adventure where brave a powerful arcane storm in search of fortune and glory. Will our heroes survive their first encounter? Listen in to find out!

Season 2: Episode 1 - Voyage of Calamity 

I recently listened to the setting roulette episode where you came up with this, and I was amazed that you guys were about 75% what I had already decided on expanding my campaign to. My player recently uncovered a ship of ancient (though advanced) design which is essentially a spelljammer ship. I am using power cores to provide long-term energy to fuel the ship, though magic users can fuel it for short-term which is what they did to get it out of dry-dock.

I loved the changes to magic you guys settled on for the setting. I decided to use a bit of that in an offshoot of the vampires are magic-devourers and people (their bloodlines) have been drained of the ability to use magic. outside the starting island the players are on.

Anyways I can go on for a long time.  My question to you is when do you intend to have your ruleset up on your site? I am looking very forward to integrating a lot of what you folks discussed into my own campaign.

The latest episode is here and ready for download from iTunes or your favourite podcast feeder:

EPISODE 10 - Encountering GeneSys

In this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we tackle the first part of encounter design - the story elements. How to get that encounter just right. The whens, the where and the hows will be explained with a good dose of our usual banter and some fun tips and tricks for making encounters fun and exciting as not just a GM, but also a player. We also answer some of your rules and games questions.

Edited by GM Hooly

On 5/20/2018 at 7:47 AM, GM Hooly said:

Should we make a new post for a new show? Or should we just keep it all here?

I would personally think that would clutter up the forums, but it would get new people's attention. Hmm...

I vote for keeping it here, that way when you do make a new thread, it's for something apart from the norm, like the Q&A question request, etc.

Season 2 - LIVE PLAY: Voyage of Calamity - CHAPTER 2

This is an Actual Play Episode using the GeneSys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. In our second episode, the crew of the Lightening Trawler Calamity return to their home city of Lake Port where we will meet several of their acquaintances (and rivals) before meeting a mysterious figure with a job that may change their destinies forever. So come along and join the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw as they continue their adventures in search of fortune and glory!

Edited by GM Hooly

EPISODE 11 - Story Pointers

In this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we uncover the mysteries of the almighty Story Point! When to use it, how to use it and the tricks for both GMs and Players to make their games that much better with these golden nuggets of gaming goodness. We also answer several rules and games questions and say a bon-voyage to one of the more beloved hosts of the show in this emotion filled episode of the podcast. All this and all the amazing merriment that you have come to expect from GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin.

Season 2 - LIVE PLAY: Voyage of Calamity - CHAPTER 3

This is an Actual Play Episode using the GeneSys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. In our third episode, the crew of the Lightening Trawler Calamity begin their perilous journey to Shade Moon, the floating criminal underworld below the clouds. But their trip is not without incident as some ancient evil stalks the Calamity when the crew take a shortcut below the clouds. Will this be an end to our heroes? Come along and join the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw as we learn of their fate!

Edited by GM Hooly

The latest episode is here and ready for download from iTunes or your favourite podcast feeder.

EPISODE 12 - It's a Kind of Magic! (Part 1)

In our biggest episode yet of The Dice Pool Podcast we are joined by GM Chris of the Order 66 Podcast to discuss everything MAGIC! In the first part of our series we will provide you with an invaluable lesson on using the Magic rules in your games and cover the basics including Magic Skills and Magic Actions, as well as discussing the rules presented in Realms of Terrinoth. We offer some suggestions on how to expand the rules in your Genesys Setting, plus answer a few listener questions pertaining to this area of the rules. So come along and join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin for an in depth look at Magic in the Genesys Role Playing Game.

Edited by GM Hooly

Season 2: Episode 4 - Voyage of Calamity

This is an Actual Play Episode using the GeneSys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. In the forth episode of Season 2, the crew of the Lightening Trawler Calamity survive an attack by a Leviathan, only to come face to face with the leader of the Luxentenbris underworld, Octavius Magnuson. It is not long before they become envoys in a bizarre trade agreement between Octavius, Lady Zeelria Vesh and a group only known as The Inquisitors. Will our heroes survive long enough to return home with the bounty they have been promised? Come along and join the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw as we learn of their fate!

Available on iTunes and your favourite Podcatcher.

Edited by GM Hooly

Episode 13 - It's a Kind of Magic (Part 2)

After an extended hiatus, The Dice Pool Podcast returns with special guest GM Chris of the Order 66 Podcast to take a further look at MAGIC in the GeneSys Role Playing Game. In this second part of our series on Magic we'll provide you with invaluable lessons on using the Magic rules in your games. This episode we'll present a revision on Magic Skills, Magic Actions and Maneuvers, and covering off on several issues raised in the last episode. We'll then get into discussing magic implements, talents and bringing magic into your game. Finally, well get into some games and rules questions on magic. So, grab your wands, fire up your cauldrons, kickstart your brooms, and open up your mystical tomes and join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Chris for another in depth look at Magic in the Genesys Role Playing Game.

Edited by GM Hooly

Season 2: Episode 5 - Voyage of Calamity

This is an Actual Play Episode using the GeneSys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. In the fifth episode of Season 2, the crew of the Lightning Trawler Calamity finalise their plans to accomplish their mission for Octavius Magnuson before venturing into the inky blackness of the Night's Edges. Will our heroes survive the journey and complete their task, or will they join the creatures of the darkness in eternal damnation? Come along and join the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw as we learn of their fate!

Edited by GM Hooly

Episode 14 - A Difficult Situation

The Dice Pool Podcast returns! This episode we cover a very difficult topic, and one close to our hearts. It's also likely the question we get asked the most. That question is "How do I make up the difficulty of a check that spontaneously happens during a game?" If this is you, and you need help setting skill check difficulties or want to build a story into the check on the fly, then listen up, for we are here to help! Join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin as we explain the how's and why's of designing skill check difficulties. We'll cover the basics and give you the skills you need to may your gaming sessions pop, plus we tackle some related listener questions!

Podbean

Direct

Season 2: Episode 6 - Voyage of Calamity

This is an Actual Play Episode using the GeneSys Role Playing Game by Fantasy Flight Games. In the sixth and final episode of Season 2, the crew of the Lightning Trawler Calamity are forced to fight a horde or undead priests, an Inquisitor and perhaps something far worse. Will our heroes survive to recover the mysterious ancient text and finalise their arrangement with Octavius Magnuson, the underworld leader of Shade Moon? Come along and join the Werewolf Captain Artimis Gristlemore, the Spell Slinger Jerrico Runetide, the Shade Touched Sneak Joana Bonny and the Arcane Seer Anora Steelclaw as we conclude this epic tale!

Episode 15 - What We Bring to the Table: Player Archetypes

On this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we roll out the big guns for a special 5 host show. We meet guest host GM Mick, owner of Conexio Games Cafe in Brisbane and games philosopher; as we discuss not character archetypes, but Player Archetypes. Get to know the personality types around your table. Learn how you can improve your games by better meeting your player's core needs. Join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin as we get GM Mick to explain his theory for a deeper understanding of your companions, both GMs and Players, at the table; and how you can add it to your bag of gaming tricks. We also tackle a question asking about the pitfalls of designing your own setting, and a whole lot more.

Episode 16 - Roulette of Terror

On this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we belatedly celebrate Halloween with a SPOOOKY episode where we talk the Horror Tone from the GeneSys Role Playing Game. We explain the rules and give you some great tips on bringing Horror to your table. PLUS we return to a fan favourite, the Setting Roulette using the Horror Setting as a template for a campaign. We also get a chance to reach into our big bag of listener question, so join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin as we journey into the unknown.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:04 PM, GM Hooly said:

Episode 15 - What We Bring to the Table: Player Archetypes

On this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we roll out the big guns for a special 5 host show. We meet guest host GM Mick, owner of Conexio Games Cafe in Brisbane and games philosopher; as we discuss not character archetypes, but Player Archetypes. Get to know the personality types around your table. Learn how you can improve your games by better meeting your player's core needs. Join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano and Kaitlin as we get GM Mick to explain his theory for a deeper understanding of your companions, both GMs and Players, at the table; and how you can add it to your bag of gaming tricks. We also tackle a question asking about the pitfalls of designing your own setting, and a whole lot more.

This was a fantastic episode, thanks to you and Mick. Bloody ripper. 

EPISODE 17 - REVIEW: Realms of Terrinoth

On this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we finally take a deep dive into the Realms of Terrinoth giving a general overview of the book, advice on playing your games in the World of Mennara, and how you can use the book in your own fantasy RPG setting. We even shed some light on combining it with the upcoming Shadow of the Beanstalk setting book. We explain some of the rules within Fantasy Flight Games' first setting book, PLUS we answer some listener question about Realms of Terrinoth. So, join GMs Hooly, Huzz, and Flano as we go on an epic adventure in the Realms of Terrinoth.

Thanks for a good episode on Terrinoth. Was good to listen to. You did skip a bit back and forth on chapter 2 no worries though was able to follow along. Good talk about converting stories to Terrinoth. 

A small request could you update your website podcast list with the new episodes ? https://www.thedicepoolpodcast.com/podcasts/

lots of my players dont visit these boards or use social media and i refer them to the webpage. 

EPISODE 18 - Q&A: Realms of Terrinoth with Tim Cox and Tim Hucklebery

Last episode we took our own wander through the pages of Realms of Terrinoth, but this episode we go straight to the source to answer your rules and games questions about Fantasy Flight Games first setting book, as we welcome Fantasy Flight Games' Product Developers, Tim Cox and Tim Hucklebery. So listen in and join GMs Hooly, Huzz, Flano, Kaitlin and our guests as we go on an epic adventure into the Realms of Terrinoth.

Edited by GM Hooly

EPISODE 19 - Dem Skillz, Tho

Ever wanted to run a montage sequence in your games? Need to make combat encounters, even space battles, that much more engaging? What about getting everyone involved at the table more than ever before? Then tune in, good listeners, as we get you to 'use dem skills' as we discuss the ins and outs of running the almighty Skill Challenge in your games. Join GMs Hooly and Huzz along with special guests GM Mick, and Order 66's GM Chris as we take a deep dive into the rules, the pitfalls, and methodology of the Skill Challenge and how you can harness its power to improve your games - plus we'll run a Skill Challenge on the show. We even get to answer some listener questions covering initiative, fear, and the Master talent, plus a whole heap more on this extra-large bumper episode of The Dice Pool Podcast.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, GM Hooly said:

EPISODE 17 - REVIEW: Realms of Terrinoth

On this episode of The Dice Pool Podcast we finally take a deep dive into the Realms of Terrinoth giving a general overview of the book, advice on playing your games in the World of Mennara, and how you can use the book in your own fantasy RPG setting. We even shed some light on combining it with the upcoming Shadow of the Beanstalk setting book. We explain some of the rules within Fantasy Flight Games' first setting book, PLUS we answer some listener question about Realms of Terrinoth. So, join GMs Hooly, Huzz, and Flano as we go on an epic adventure in the Realms of Terrinoth.

ive been playing the Star Wars RPG for some time, and started that as the Gm and recently restarted as a GM in the fantasy realm at the request of my daughter, who is also in my group. As a result I've been starting to pick up on this podcast , working backwards so far with the Q&A and review of Terrinoth, I just wanted to point out something that was a glaring error unless Ive picked it up wrong. It's implied that there is no difference between verse and arcana and even using an example of an attack spell using Verse. 

the different spell skills only get access to a subset of the list of disciplines

Arcana for example cannot augment or heal

Divine doesnt Conjure or Dispel

Primal lacks Barrier /Curse and Dispel

Runes can not conjure , or heal or curse

Verse lacks Attack / Barrier / Conjure / 

Source table 2.18 on page 115. I know you can apply it however you like , but it does cover that a recommended rule from the core is that you might not want characters to be able to mix the skills as they each have their own flavour (faq errata is opposed to that though, Ive house ruled a sort of middle ground in that you can develop the skill , which helps with runes and verses non magical options , but you cant cast unless it's a career skill)

Edit got called away just before I properly finished rhis, but I must admit to enjoying the pod cast so far , its already been a wealth of info and especially insight from the last two episodes

Edited by syrath