Jump to content
BiggsIRL

World Cup Battle Reports

Recommended Posts

We played my Fire Lanes, and @Admiral Theia chose to be first player.  A tension filled game - she took out all my squadrons by the end, but enough survived mid-game to allow the motley rebel ships to take down Avenger.  Surprisingly, the Quasar killed the Assault Frigate through a combination of rams and great front arc rolling, and perhaps questionable defense token management on my part.  :P  A great game, with a fun opponent.  thanks!

Logfile here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dtohupa5-RvhEk905U2prUr0E7WTsNLN/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Maturin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BMcDonald7 said:

Comatose vs BMcDonald7 ended in a victory for myself 327-114  - 213 MOV, 8-3

...

I have a logfile but I'm not sure how to upload it so hopefully Comatose can post his if he wants to. :)

2

I just make a folder for each tournament in Google Drive, and then share that folder. Here's this WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMcDonald7 said:

The scoreboard is incorrect for Comatose and myself. BMcDonald7 beat Comatose 8-3 - 327-114. 213 MOV to BMcDonald7. The scoreboard awarded the points and MOV to Comatose. 

Sorry, read it as "comatose to BMcDonald7" without looking at who was stated as the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Irishmadcat has defeated @rasproteus (is tagging yourself a thing?) 325-272 for a MoV of 53 and a 6-5.

I was first player, and we played his Precision Strike.  He scored 10 victory tokens to my 6.

This was a very close game that went down to the very last turn.  I opened things up by killing Yavaris with a double acc (one + h9) and a CF'd black into her side arc, but failed to do major damage to his Pelta.  His bombers slowly ground my fleet down during the course of the game, scoring both kills and points; while my fleet generally focussed on trying to get in and out as fast as possible.  Garel's focused mainly on taking damage and dying.

Irish, as usual, was a great opponent and very accomodating when I ran out of time last night.  Which, by the way, was easily 12:30AM GMT - so the fact that he was even willing to play a game at that time of night should provide ample evidence of his character.

Here are the log files, in two parts.  If they don't work, it's his fault ^_^:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wxws8jt6cqrhHNpSDLgHAeaFkIqjOAE6/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_JTFolvoaMJwqG9J2Sbvj2jkJCnN4UL/view?usp=sharing

Edited by rasproteus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rasproteus said:

@Irishmadcat has defeated @rasproteus (is tagging yourself a thing?) 325-272 for a MoV of 53 and a 6-5.

I was first player, and we played his Precision Strike.  He scored 10 victory tokens to my 6.

This was a very close game that went down to the very last turn.  I opened things up by killing Yavaris with a double acc (one + h9) and a CF'd black into her side arc, but failed to do major damage to his Pelta.  His bombers slowly ground my fleet down during the course of the game, scoring both kills and points; while my fleet generally focussed on trying to get in and out as fast as possible.  Garel's focused mainly on taking damage and dying.

Irish, as usual, was a great opponent and very accomodating when I ran out of time last night.  Which, by the way, was easily 12:30AM GMT - so the fact that he was even willing to play a game at that time of night should provide ample evidence of his character.

Here are the log files, in two parts.  If they don't work, it's his fault ^_^:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wxws8jt6cqrhHNpSDLgHAeaFkIqjOAE6/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_JTFolvoaMJwqG9J2Sbvj2jkJCnN4UL/view?usp=sharing

Great opponent. Happy I got within 6 Mov of proceedign with 2 peltas but what was I thinking again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the game between myself and @Lord Preyer is over!

He was first player and took my Contested Outpost. We called it mid-way through turn 3, when I killed his ISD. Final score 8-0, 140 MoV.

He sent his ISD charging in at speed 3, and our squad balls met over the station. Turn 2 saw one YT-1300 and Dengar die, and the ISD at close range of Yav's side with 2 hull remaining.

Turn 3 he activated the ISD first. Maarek killed one 75, and the ISD killed Toryn and Yav, then rammed the AF. The latter went and activated Ten, killing the ISD. At this point he called it. I probably could have killed Zertik too, as I left him on 1 hull after a B attacked him as the AF's second squad activation, but he didn't want to play on and it wouldn't have affected the end score, so we ended there. 

 

Here's the logfile.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

And the game between myself and @Lord Preyer is over!

He was first player and took my Contested Outpost. We called it mid-way through turn 3, when I killed his ISD. Final score 8-0, 140 MoV.

He sent his ISD charging in at speed 3, and our squad balls met over the station. Turn 2 saw one YT-1300 and Dengar die, and the ISD at close range of Yav's side with 2 hull remaining.

Turn 3 he activated the ISD first. Maarek killed one 75, and the ISD killed Toryn and Yav, then rammed the AF. The latter went and activated Ten, killing the ISD. At this point he called it. I probably could have killed Zertik too, as I left him on 1 hull after a B attacked him as the AF's second squad activation, but he didn't want to play on and it wouldn't have affected the end score, so we ended there. 

 

Here's the logfile.

Congratulations to GNIP for a good game. It was absolutely clear he was on his way to tabling me easily and so I conceded in the thought that he could get his 10-1 that way. Sorry I didn’t know the rules about concession scoring. Bravo again and good luck for your next games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Captain Weather vs Maturin has finished!  

Winner:  Captain Weather           Mov:  112-106           Mission:  Superior Positions            First Player:  Maturin

The good Captain juuuuuust eked out a victory.  My sweltering Aussie opponent won the roll off and gave me first player.  I chose his Superior Positions and deployed defensively in my right corner, at low speed.  He placed his forces with squadrons & flotillas in the middle, while his MC75 and Jaina's Light started wide, clearly intending to flank and rack up SP tokens.

In the end I managed to kill all of his squadrons except Gold, while he killed a single Z-95.  However he managed to rack up 7 Superior Positions tokens, which combined with the Z-95 gave him the victory.  It was an extremely close game - I had the possibility of scoring a few tokens of my own but whiffed, while Captain Weather got 4 of my squadrons down to 1 health each.  Both our blue dice went amusingly cold mid-game....we rolled something like 8 or 10 consecutive non-hits in a row. 

Nevertheless it was a tense and exciting game with a very gracious and fun opponent.  Thank you!

(did I get the maths right?)

Log file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJEzHGEATx1jniYXkSMvSQb3-_Q8e0eI/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Maturin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maturin said:

@Captain Weather vs Maturin has finished!  

Winner:  Captain Weather           Mov:  112-106           Mission:  Superior Positions            First Player:  Maturin

The good Captain juuuuuust eked out a victory.  My sweltering Aussie opponent won the roll off and gave me first player.  I chose his Superior Positions and deployed defensively in my right corner, at low speed.  He placed his forces with squadrons & flotillas in the middle, while his MC75 and Jaina's Light started wide, clearly intending to flank and rack up SP tokens.

In the end I managed to kill all of his squadrons except Gold, while he killed a single Z-95.  However he managed to rack up 7 Superior Positions tokens, which combined with the Z-95 gave him the victory.  It was an extremely close game - I had the possibility of scoring a few tokens of my own but whiffed, while Captain Weather got 4 of my squadrons down to 1 health each.  Both our blue dice went amusingly cold mid-game....we rolled something like 8 or 10 consecutive non-hits in a row. 

Nevertheless it was a tense and exciting game with a very gracious and fun opponent.  Thank you!

 

Log file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJEzHGEATx1jniYXkSMvSQb3-_Q8e0eI/view?usp=sharing

What a game!

We both had a lot of fun and really I think it was a mix and match of elite play and absolutely terrible choices. 

I knew I didn't want to get caught in the overlapping fields of flak, especially not with TF Re-Rolls (I know because that's my plan!) so of course I flew exactly into that. Woops. 

In the end this would prove fatal to my squadrons (shocking I know). I think on my end three key mistakes heavily impacted the game. My first was falling into the flak trap as I mentioned, my second was my deployment and the third was my timidness with my combat ships.

I deployed both the MC-75 and Jaina too far wide. Jaina did nothing the entire game and the MC-75 had exactly one meaningful shot (which won me the game through scoring a rear shot on Salvation). I took a big tough ship, capable of tanking an obscene amount of damage, and I flew it like it was a Raider. 

Around Turn 4 I knew I was deep in the **** with my squadrons and really in danger of losing the game substantially. Switching tack I used my intel while it was still on the table to farm as many tokens as I could. @Maturin did everything he could to reduce his losses in such a tight game (4 squadrons on 1 hull at the end that he flew out of the fire!) and but for a couple of luckier dice rolls would have walked away the winner. 

Pod 7 is definitely hugely up in the air now, as we await the games with Cactus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lord Preyer said:

Congratulations to GNIP for a good game. It was absolutely clear he was on his way to tabling me easily and so I conceded in the thought that he could get his 10-1 that way. Sorry I didn’t know the rules about concession scoring. Bravo again and good luck for your next games. 

... technically he should have been able to claim more than just 140 points if you had more points than that on the board.

Quote

"Concession: A player voluntarily concedes defeat at any point during the game. All of that
player’s ships and squadrons are destroyed.
The conceding player receives a loss worth 0
tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 0. If his or her opponent has a Margin of
Victory of 140 points or more, the opponent receives tournament points and a Margin of
Victory as outlined in “Tournament Points” on page 17. Otherwise, the opponent receives 8
tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 140."

Note the highlighted bits.  I will put it in as an 8-0 / 140 for now, but if you can figure out what the final score should have been, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

... technically he should have been able to claim more than just 140 points if you had more points than that on the board.

Note the highlighted bits.  I will put it in as an 8-0 / 140 for now, but if you can figure out what the final score should have been, let me know.

  Quote

"Concession: A player voluntarily concedes defeat at any point during the game. All of that
player’s ships and squadrons are destroyed.
 The conceding player receives a loss worth 0
tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 0. If his or her opponent has a Margin of
Victory of 140 points or more, the opponent receives tournament points and a Margin of
Victory as outlined in “Tournament Points” on page 17. Otherwise, the opponent receives 8
tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 140."

End Quote

 

This has come up before, in another post. The highlighted text states what happens to the ships, but are people interpreting this as "it should be a tabling and a 10-1"? I disagree with this, since the following rest of the paragraph states how to score "This situation". Am I not reading this properly?

Edited by moodswing5537

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

... technically he should have been able to claim more than just 140 points if you had more points than that on the board.

Note the highlighted bits.  I will put it in as an 8-0 / 140 for now, but if you can figure out what the final score should have been, let me know.

My MoV at the point of concession was 113.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, themightyhedgehog said:

@Dupy sniped my corvettes early and stayed away from the MC75.  Overall very well played on his part. 

@themightyhedgehog played a good game.    He came with a threatening mc75, 2 trc90's, +2 and a whole lot of squadron hull.   He had very threatening horrid last first moves with the mc75.  Against my 2 Glad, raider,+1, low activation fleet.   He chose to go first and selected precision strike.   

I positioned my fleet in a loose line abreast in the middle.  Hedgehog had his two trc90s lined up across from my Demo, the mc75 lined up with Insidious,  and his +2 and squads in the middle lined up with my +1 and squads.   

The trc90s jumped out fast beyond fighter cover.   I was able to start bombing the lead trc90 and finish him off with Demo in turn 2 earning some precision strike tokens.  I moved demo poorly and was un able to strike the second.  His cr90's were hot and punished demo.  Demo then just disengaging and threw some aa fire while eating long-range fire from mc75.     He ended with 1 shield and 1 damage card.   

After punishing Demo,  the second trc90 dropped in range of Ozzel's raider.   A side arc with racks and 3 bomber attacks earned me some nice tokens and a dead cr90.  

The mc75 charged at Insidious before turning into the fray in the middle.   This pushed Insidious out of the fight and turned him into a high priced flotilla.

This was a tough game and could have gone either way.   I was just able to take advantage of Hedgehogs deployment error, then rack up PS tokens against the charging trc90's.  I lost a few squads and my flotilla,  that got caught flat footed by the mc75.  

@themightyhedgehog, thank you for the great game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dupy said:

@themightyhedgehog played a good game.    He came with a threatening mc75, 2 trc90's, +2 and a whole lot of squadron hull.   He had very threatening horrid last first moves with the mc75.  Against my 2 Glad, raider,+1, low activation fleet.   He chose to go first and selected precision strike.   

I positioned my fleet in a loose line abreast in the middle.  Hedgehog had his two trc90s lined up across from my Demo, the mc75 lined up with Insidious,  and his +2 and squads in the middle lined up with my +1 and squads.   

The trc90s jumped out fast beyond fighter cover.   I was able to start bombing the lead trc90 and finish him off with Demo in turn 2 earning some precision strike tokens.  I moved demo poorly and was un able to strike the second.  His cr90's were hot and punished demo.  Demo then just disengaging and threw some aa fire while eating long-range fire from mc75.     He ended with 1 shield and 1 damage card.   

After punishing Demo,  the second trc90 dropped in range of Ozzel's raider.   A side arc with racks and 3 bomber attacks earned me some nice tokens and a dead cr90.  

The mc75 charged at Insidious before turning into the fray in the middle.   This pushed Insidious out of the fight and turned him into a high priced flotilla.

This was a tough game and could have gone either way.   I was just able to take advantage of Hedgehogs deployment error, then rack up PS tokens against the charging trc90's.  I lost a few squads and my flotilla,  that got caught flat footed by the mc75.  

@themightyhedgehog, thank you for the great game. 

I didn't remember posting this, but eventually I saw the name and was no longer confused.

58 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Then it becomes an 8 - 0, mov 140.

But if you had say 231 mov, you'd get 9 points and 231 mov. Still 0 for the one who conceded.

This is the correct interpretation.  People latch on too much to the "everything is destroyed" - which to me indicates that you get to smash the conceder's ships with a hammer - and too little to the next part, which tells you exactly how to score the victory.

Edited by rasproteus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Then it becomes an 8 - 0, mov 140.

But if you had say 231 mov, you'd get 9 points and 231 mov. Still 0 for the one who conceded.

Could they pick it up from the log file and fight it out to the end? It's clear that Lord Preyer would have continued because he didn't want to cheat his opponent out of tournament points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...