Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ReyD

[Next Cycles] Possible narrative arc in the future !

Recommended Posts

(Narrative arcs)

1) Obvious :  ( Campaign that we will see in the near future for sure even for cycle 3 or/and 4)   

Innsmouth/R'lyeh/Cthulhu : One of my most wanted campaign because of the incredible abyss/aquatic theme.

 

  latest?cb=20140818055533

 

- Shub Niggurath/The Black Goat : One of the most weird theme. Shub Niggurath will be pretty hard to adapt in this game since he is not very present in Lovrecraft's books. Main theme will probably be The Woods and  ton of monsters (Thousand youngs). 

walter-brocca-shubwalbroart.jpg?14615345

 

2) Very plausible : (Environment that appears in other Arkham games but it depend on if the devs want to push the universe of AH:LCG this far) 

- Egypt/Black Pharaoh/Nephren-ka : Since we don't know if AH:LCG will put the "globtrotting/eldritch" path, I put this arc/theme in this category. However it's THE classic destination if the game will allow us to travel in some exotic places. Even the old Arkham Horror (Board Game) had an expansion about it. Need !

  eldritch_horror__under_the_pyramids_by_j

- Mountains of Madness/Antartica/Ithaqua : Less known than egypt but with Eldritch Horror's expansion it gain a great popularity so I bet on it too.

  at_the_mountains_of_madness_5_howard_lov

 

- Dreamlands/ Hypnos : One of the most famous dimension that lovecraft created. Plenty of incredible environments even one campaign will be not enough to see all the possibilities. But it's way more fantastic thant any other campaign and again just plausible. 

Dreamlands+p2+Lovecraft+White+Ship+v2+%5

 

3) Maybe : (I don't think one of those things listed here are needed, but it could be cool to have something about it)

 

- Kingsport/Fictional England/Survival Zombies 

KF_cimitero.jpg

 

- Aztec mysteries / Yig and his snake cultist 

  yig-triumphant.jpg

- Asia/Leng

- Africa

 

etc ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already know they're fine with globetrotting. Carcosa is exploring Paris/France. One scenario on the streets of Paris, one in the catacombs and one at Mont Saint-Michel on the northern coast. They can make the location literally anywhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but we are still in this "same" urban environment.

 

I'm talking more about something "exotic" .
England/France/America/New Orleans during the 20's aren't my definition of an exotic place.

Edited by ReyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 4:49 PM, ReyD said:

- Mountains of Madness/Antartica/Ithaqua : Less known than egypt but with Eldritch Horror's expansion it gain a great popularity so I bet on it too.

 

 

 

 

Mountains of Madness is one of Lovecraft's most famous stories. Certainly more significant than his throw-away Houdini commission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ReyD said:

Yeah but we are still in this "same" urban environment.

 

I'm talking more about something "exotic" .
England/France/America/New Orleans during the 20's aren't my definition of an exotic place.

Give 'em time. I figure each campaign cycle will get more different as we go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Assuming the next cycle is Shub-Niggurath, we might get a few exotic locations. The Black Goat built a city in a cavern below southern Arabia, so we might get our trip out there followed by finding the cavern. And Shub Niggurath herself might be on another planet or dimension, leading to another off-world conclusion. However, as that's very similar to what they're doing in Carcosa, I'd actually expect a different pattern. The simplest would be to go off-world early, maybe at the halfway point, to find but not defeat Shub-Niggurath, and then the finale consists of finding/defeating the Black Goat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, agarrett said:

  Assuming the next cycle is Shub-Niggurath, we might get a few exotic locations. The Black Goat built a city in a cavern below southern Arabia, so we might get our trip out there followed by finding the cavern. And Shub Niggurath herself might be on another planet or dimension, leading to another off-world conclusion. However, as that's very similar to what they're doing in Carcosa, I'd actually expect a different pattern. The simplest would be to go off-world early, maybe at the halfway point, to find but not defeat Shub-Niggurath, and then the finale consists of finding/defeating the Black Goat...

Depends on how they interpret her. Shub is often taken as a brutal, which is saying something, version of gaia . She may be an entirely terrestrial power home to our dimension.

Shes the only old one who may have gifted humanity with the means to take on other old ones. We don't even know if shes a sleeping power. She could be very active and awake. The entirety of mankind might be distant descendents of her young for all we know! 

There is so much room to operate with shub, the goat, and the thousand. Ill be curious to see what the decide to do with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far every cycle seems to be the equivalent to closing one Portal in AH or EH, only in more detail. It starts in Arkham, where all the characters are based. It ends with the presence of some Ancient One from some alien world.

Whatever we will have to face, I guess this outline will stay the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Meretrix said:

Mountains of Madness is one of Lovecraft's most famous stories. Certainly more significant than his throw-away Houdini commission.

Egypt is more about the resonance with the setting than Lovecraft's actual work (though, obviously, Nyarlathotep is one of his most important recurring figures). Ancient Egypt was a huge fad at the time, with King Tut's tomb being discovered in 1922. Plus, thanks to The Mummy and Indiana Jones, adventures in Egypt are about as iconic to the 20s as speakeasies and flappers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donel said:

Depends on how they interpret her. Shub is often taken as a brutal, which is saying something, version of gaia . She may be an entirely terrestrial power home to our dimension.

Shes the only old one who may have gifted humanity with the means to take on other old ones. We don't even know if shes a sleeping power. She could be very active and awake. The entirety of mankind might be distant descendents of her young for all we know! 

There is so much room to operate with shub, the goat, and the thousand. Ill be curious to see what the decide to do with them

Let's not forget that we can look to the other Arkham Files games for some guidance as to how FFG is likely to treat Shub-Niggurath. I doubt they're going to go in a radically different direction from their other active Arkham Files games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

Egypt is more about the resonance with the setting than Lovecraft's actual work (though, obviously, Nyarlathotep is one of his most important recurring figures). Ancient Egypt was a huge fad at the time, with King Tut's tomb being discovered in 1922. Plus, thanks to The Mummy and Indiana Jones, adventures in Egypt are about as iconic to the 20s as speakeasies and flappers.

Lovecraft's actual work IS the setting. This is not Indiana Jones the card game. It's first and foremost about Lovecraft's stories. I am sure we will get an Egypt themed cycle at some point and I look forward to it but it's inaccurate to suggest it's more important a setting than Antarctica in the mythos. MoM is regarded as one of the greatest weird fiction tales ever written while Under the Pyramids was a commission and really quite a silly story.

Edited by Meretrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BD Flory said:

Let's not forget that we can look to the other Arkham Files games for some guidance as to how FFG is likely to treat Shub-Niggurath. I doubt they're going to go in a radically different direction from their other active Arkham Files games.

I don't know that they've done something so story driven with her before. The other board games don't really craft a narrative. They use catch all formulas.

If we can take anything for the AH board game, she will corrupt you. Although in truth she may be turning you to your natural state. The black goat herald makes hexagon monster not leave when gates close. The only other symbol that can't be banished like that are crescents which I have always taken to be monsters natural to our world.

I'm not saying they'll have a wildly different take on her, but there is a lot of room to interpret with her. Shes a very unique old one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Meretrix said:

Lovecraft's actual work IS the setting.

It isn't, and FFG's said as much. Yes, it taps into it, but it's a pulpier take on the mythos (which itself draws on more than just Lovecraft's work). There's even an Indiana Jones riff among the foundational characters for the first board game, who's gotten a version in every Arkham FIles game since (except the LCG, for now, for which we have only a fraction of the characters compared to the other games). Not to mention the degree to which it leans on the work of other authors who aren't Lovecraft.

We are, for example, getting an Egypt box for Elder Sign this month, a game which has yet to do Antarctica. I wouldn't care to place odds on getting one before the other in the LCG either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Donel said:

If we can take anything for the AH board game, she will corrupt you. Although in truth she may be turning you to your natural state. The black goat herald makes hexagon monster not leave when gates close. The only other symbol that can't be banished like that are crescents which I have always taken to be monsters natural to our world.

I'd say the original AH is likely to have the *least* in common with the LCG's take -- that's why I specified active games, meaning currently in development.

While it's true there isn't a lot of unified narrative in the other Arkham Games, there are nonetheless story fragments and broad narrative elements to be found in the various abilities. As an example, I would expect to see a Shub-Niggurath campaign spawn lots of monsters via various effects, something true of both Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, and particularly, I expect to see the ability to transform cultists into Goat Spawn and Dark Young represented (as it was in Eldritch). Given the LCG's narrative focus, I'd expect to see some of the weird sexual stuff that appears in Mansions of Madness (see: Goat Spawn, IIRC), too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BD Flory said:

It isn't, and FFG's said as much. Yes, it taps into it, but it's a pulpier take on the mythos (which itself draws on more than just Lovecraft's work). There's even an Indiana Jones riff among the foundational characters for the first board game, who's gotten a version in every Arkham FIles game since (except the LCG, for now, for which we have only a fraction of the characters compared to the other games). Not to mention the degree to which it leans on the work of other authors who aren't Lovecraft.

We are, for example, getting an Egypt box for Elder Sign this month, a game which has yet to do Antarctica. I wouldn't care to place odds on getting one before the other in the LCG either way.

It saddens me that we don't have a true Lovecraft game but you are right, Elder Sign did Alaska instead which has absolutely nothing to do with Lovecraft which proves FFG doesn't take the mythos very serious. And Egypt is probably more marketable to the general public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

It saddens me that we don't have a true Lovecraft game but you are right, Elder Sign did Alaska instead which has absolutely nothing to do with Lovecraft which proves FFG doesn't take the mythos very serious. And Egypt is probably more marketable to the general public.

To be fair, the mythos doesnt take lovecraft very seriously. While he may be the father that sparked all of this, from what I understand he wasn't a terribly good writer. 

We're probably better off without the hard purist approach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

It saddens me that we don't have a true Lovecraft game but you are right, Elder Sign did Alaska instead which has absolutely nothing to do with Lovecraft which proves FFG doesn't take the mythos very serious. And Egypt is probably more marketable to the general public.

I'm sure they take it very seriously. It makes them a lot of money. Everyone I've talked or listened to that's involved with narrative design of the various Arkham Files games are quite well-informed on the mythos. Narrowing it to focus on the work of Lovecraft to the exclusion of others, I think, rather misses the point of the mythos.

They also did AtMoM first for Eldrith Horror (well, first among the big boxes), so I think they'll do what inspires them, between the two. Although it may be a while before we see either one, really. Night of the Zealot owes more to Clark Ashton Smith, and Carcosa obviously draws more on Chambers than Lovecraft (thus the trip to Paris). I expect we'll see Shub and Cthulhu soon, but more because we already have them as "agents of" in the core box than any other reason.

Edited by BD Flory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BD Flory said:

I'd say the original AH is likely to have the *least* in common with the LCG's take -- that's why I specified active games, meaning currently in development.

While it's true there isn't a lot of unified narrative in the other Arkham Games, there are nonetheless story fragments and broad narrative elements to be found in the various abilities. As an example, I would expect to see a Shub-Niggurath campaign spawn lots of monsters via various effects, something true of both Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, and particularly, I expect to see the ability to transform cultists into Goat Spawn and Dark Young represented (as it was in Eldritch). Given the LCG's narrative focus, I'd expect to see some of the weird sexual stuff that appears in Mansions of Madness (see: Goat Spawn, IIRC), too.

I would expect lots of that too. But that isn't mutually exclusive with my proposed possibilities. Not saying anything  im proposing is a must but they drew from some interesting places for things to do in this carcosa campaign. 

I would be willing to bet if nothing else the old one slaying scroll will atleast show up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Meretrix said:

I'm done with you, forever.

  Lovecraft is a sometimes difficult writer, because his writing is so different from the modern style. He is excellent at setting a mood, and that's really what most of his stories try to do. In most cases, he even starts with his character telling a story that happened in the past, so he eliminates the 'does he survive' suspense from the get-go. Instead we're usually presented with someone telling us that something horrible, or incomprehensible, happened, and then we hear what it is. It's a fantastic mechanism to set a mood, while a poor one for telling a traditional story. I know Lovecraft can tell a more traditional story - At the Mountains of Madness, and Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath show that clearly enough, but they're in a minority of his stories.

  I think his work benefited enormously from August Derleth following it up. Derleth was not as good a writer, but a far better publicist. Tying Lovecraft's stories together into a mythos created a type of overarching narrative that helped bridge Lovecraft's moody writing with the modern style of strong story. Anyway, I think this is why you can get pretty widely varying views of Lovecraft's ability as a writer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His stories are certainly open to criticism, all stories are. It's easy to judge older stories by today's standards. Many of the things we consider cliche were new ideas at the time. But saying he wasn't a very good writer is nonsense. Lovecraft's  ability to evoke a setting, mood or feeling is legendary.

 

3 hours ago, agarrett said:

  I think his work benefited enormously from August Derleth following it up.

 

LOL OK I'm outa here.

Edited by Meretrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

His stories are certainly open to criticism, all stories are. It's easy to judge older stories by today's standards. Many of the things we consider cliche were new ideas at the time. But saying he wasn't a very good writer is nonsense. Lovecraft's  ability to evoke a setting, mood or feeling is legendary.

There's a difference between being a good writer and being a good storyteller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...