evanger

Flotillas

I don’t like the idea of these ships. What most irks me is the thought of the single base representing multiple ships which, inexplicably, have to stick together forever, when much smaller vessels (YT, HWK, etc) can fly on their own.

Has anyone tried treating them as single vessel irregular squadrons, just like the YTs, VT-49, etc?

I suppose that idea is messed up by the fact the flotilla strangely has distinct firing arcs and shields (shared between multiple ships?).

2 hours ago, duck_bird said:

Heh, I still think it feels silly when a large base ship has to stop in fear of crashing into a flotilla...

tumblr_on6tusVj7C1smw5dno1_1280.gif

Splat!

So I wonder if this flotilla had a second longer and the ISD had come in a little bit farther back if it would have split it in two with the holdo maneuver

2 hours ago, ripper998 said:

So I wonder if this flotilla had a second longer and the ISD had come in a little bit farther back if it would have split it in two with the holdo maneuver

No

4 hours ago, ripper998 said:

maybe, the flot would have disintegrated against the hull of the isd

4 hours ago, ripper998 said:

My headcanon wants me to believe that the Holdo maneuver was possible because Snoke/Hux were so overconfident that they were saving power by leaving their shields down.

Please don't try to unconvince me of this. I want to have faith.

Anyway,

Folks, just learn to accept flotillas. Before they came around, the same number of threads that are now trying to suggest rule changes to do away with whatever problem people have with flotillas used to be posted in order to solve the problems that flotillas solved.

The game is what the game is. No, we're not going to admit your house rules at tournaments, and FFG is not going to adopt your one-in-a-million brilliant idea.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

Is the reason for 2 on the base to justify the price I wonder? I throw my money at ffg anyway, not complaining.

It certainly looks nicer. One flotilla on that base would be too small. It would look like a lonely base flying around whose gravity caught a poor flotilla.

6 hours ago, Xeletor said:

Is the reason for 2 on the base to justify the price I wonder? I throw my money at ffg anyway, not complaining.

It certainly looks nicer. One flotilla on that base would be too small. It would look like a lonely base flying around whose gravity caught a poor flotilla.

I think it was their solution to not creating a new base size, either large Squadron or Tiny ship.

14 minutes ago, Stasy said:

I'm hoping for more flotilla options. Maybe it'll help some of the hate for them if you give them some new tricks. 

Agreed. Personally, I am hopeful for a flack flotilla, and an anti-flotilla flotilla per side. I wouldn't even mind if we had our first 0 Squadron value ship.

1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I think it was their solution to not creating a new base size, either large Squadron or Tiny ship.

Probably. It irks me, as a matter of form, that two ships of such similar size, the YV-666 (62m) and the Gozanti-class cruiser (63.8m), are treated so differently.

On the other end, the GR-75 (90m) and the Hammerhead (~100m?) are different.

All of the above are Sil 5 in the RPG, too.

Armada seems to use 100m as a break point to be on your own small base.

I like the notion of an entire squadron of 12 starfighters moving as one ‘blip’ on the radar. If they don’t work together, they wouldn’t get much done.

The Falcon can fly alone around the table, avoiding the big ships as needed, because that is cool.

But, somehow, GR-75s have to stick together.

Irritating form. 

18 hours ago, duck_bird said:

Heh, I still think it feels silly when a large base ship has to stop in fear of crashing into a flotilla...

tumblr_on6tusVj7C1smw5dno1_1280.gif

Splat!

Nice! 

Where is the GR-75’s required wingman??

6 minutes ago, evanger said:

Probably. It irks me, as a matter of form, that two ships of such similar size, the YV-666 (62m) and the Gozanti-class cruiser (63.8m), are treated so differently.

On the other end, the GR-75 (90m) and the Hammerhead (~100m?) are different.

All of the above are Sil 5 in the RPG, too.

Armada seems to use 100m as a break point to be on your own small base.

They might create a YV flotilla and a GR75 large squadron...

5 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

No joke, I wish you could group small base ships together into a flotilla for increased combat stats.

Plus two CR90s on a stand would look pretty rad.

Time for a CR90 Ace Pack with Taskforce titles!