Lightrock

It was good while it lasted I guess

Who' idea was it?

We shall never know.

But since the third developer came on board is when these way over the top chassis materialsed.so...id look there.

It' also the same moment you see the doubling up on mechanics that have before him been treated cautiously.

He's probably a decent dude. Just probably not a great fit for this game.

The moving parts of the list absolutely combine into essentially all the things that make a list bad for the game; NPE, overpowered, minimal counter play options.  The only thing I'll counter with is that this list actually has some bad match ups unlike Paratanni.  Para the only real viable strategy we saw was bombing Fenn off the board with a k-wing and once people switched over to intel/rigged instead of Manaroo that strategy was basically out the door too.  We ran This list at Evergreen Cup and Lyle's been pretty into it ever since.  It's not tier 1 by any stretch but it absolutely dumpsters Nym/Miranda.  

12 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Who' idea was it?

We shall never know.

But since the third developer came on board is when these way over the top chassis materialsed.so...id look there.

It' also the same moment you see the doubling up on mechanics that have before him been treated cautiously.

He's probably a decent dude. Just probably not a great fit for this game.

Remove Sabine from the equation.  Would that make a significant enough difference?

Would Ion control be useful? 

I've not gone against the Nym/Miranda list myself but Ion:

Turret & Cannon Has a good chance to hit their 1 Agility

Prevents reveal bombs, presumably including traj sim ones (Genius gets around it but would be limited in the direction)

Reduces Miranda's Slam capabilities

Helps maintain decent range to keep up an attack

Pretty easy to fit into most lists.

Simply removing the crew slot on Miranda would do some interesting things to shaking up the list.  If you do that, then you force Nym into taking the title or not and give up his crew slot.  If he takes Sabine then he's not taking trajectory simulator or genius.  

26 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

Yay! This same thread again!

If it's not Hawai'i that the sky is falling on, it's X-Wing!

(too soon?)

411643.jpg?b64lines=IElGIFlPVSdSRSBHT0lO

Homer is FFG in this scenario.  People were mad about the Jumpmaster cuz it was stupid good.  We are currently mad about the Scurgg for similar reasons.  I'd be much happier if FFG stopped releasing ships that were good, efficient jousters and able to equip a ridiculous number of upgrades and had access to an EPT.  Since they done screwed up again, I'm going to complain instead.

20 hours ago, Hoffburger said:

Ion is not the answer because things that can carry Ion will get ******** by the initial harpoon amd proton joust.

There you go, assuming your opponent has agency and can see your list and where your ships are.

just assume it’s always an ideal engagement and our fun traps always work - then you’ll be unstoppable!

20 hours ago, Hoffburger said:

Ion is not the answer because things that can carry Ion will get ******* by the initial harpoon amd proton joust

Weird.  I’ve had very good success with ion control.  I mean I still think the list is problematic for all reasons mentioned but I’ve given the list fits with ion control boats.

1 hour ago, Wookiee_Slayer said:

If you dont mind me asking but what is a good remedy/counter against any bomb-list overall?

ALSO: are arc-dodging aces (Soontir, Vader, Inquisitor, Kylo) any good against them?

Definitely not. Nym moves after them and he can either launch a proton bomb after moving or before. He can also drop a bomb behind him and delay it's detonation. Basically no matter which side you approach him from, there's a chance you'll be in range of a bomb. Soontir can get obliterated by a single bomb thanks to Sabine. Vader and Kylo would last a bit longer but they'd still be a in a bad spot because their primary method of staying alive (green dice) is completely useless against bombs and they all need to face the bombers in order to shoot at them, which makes them very exposed to being bombed.

5 minutes ago, Hoffburger said:

Ion is not the answer because things that can carry Ion will get oblitterfucked by the initial harpoon amd proton joust.

QFT.

All the ideas about using ion and/or stress control in order to counter Nym are not practical because Nymanda has a massive alpha strike potential on top of all the bombing and regenerating shenanigans. They can pick a target and basically erase it by throwing a proton bomb at it (guaranteed 2 damage at least) and then firing 2 harpoon salvoes at it (Miranda can also boost the second harpoon salvo to 5 dice if needed). There are very few ion turret carriers that stand any chance of surviving that and since the attacks are made at PS10/8, the target that was meant to control Nymanda will probably fail to fire even once.

Dash as a counter is a much better idea, because he stands a much better chance of avoiding both the bombs and the harpoon strikes but he too is lower PS than them and he'll probably have to endure at least 3 rounds of fire before he can take out either Nym or Miranda. Being able to dodge harpoons (and bombs!) for that long is a big ask.

The 3 Nu + QD list has enough firepower to outjoust Nymranda, you just have to get lucky and not get a blinded pilot on the initial proton. If your opponent is stupid enough to put bomblet on Nym and run the EI Miranda version of the list, then QD + Nus will have a gigantic advantage in the matchup. Yeah, you'll lose a ship on the initial joust, but so will they, then you win.

PS 11 Harpoons might work too like the old Palp, Vader, QD alpha list.

Edited by Hoffburger

34 minutes ago, Hoffburger said:

The 3 Nu + QD list has enough firepower to outjoust Nymranda, you just have to get lucky and not get a blinded pilot on the initial proton. If your opponent is stupid enough to put bomblet on Nym and run the EI Miranda version of the list, then QD + Nus will have a gigantic advantage in the matchup. Yeah, you'll lose a ship on the initial joust, but so will they, then you win.

PS 11 Harpoons might work too like the old Palp, Vader, QD alpha list.

That might work. On the other hand, the result will probably be dead QD, dead Nym and 3 Nus with no harpoons and 4-5 HPs left. I reckon Miranda can still outfly them. They might try to take out Miranda instead, but it's risky. They need to telegraph their target through LRS and if they put TLs on Miranda, it's quite possible to simply SLAM out of Nus' arcs while Nym does his thing without having to worry about harpoons.

Edited by Lightrock

Ever played an RPG where the GM’s GF/BF is also playing?  All those moments where they break their own campaign because “poopsie woopsie” just really wanted a +7 Holy Avenger Vorpal Brilliant Kukri that worked for a CN thief and they just had to say yes?

and then after the intervention they finally decided that the thing had charges that were all used up and was now just a +2 dagger or everyone was going to quit the campaign?

and then 4 adventures later Poopsie asks for a cloak of dwarvin friends/elvin kind/disguise/displacement/spell storing/protection/elements.... and the frell’n say yes again?!

Well, me neither, but that’s what FFG and the JM5K Nym mess feels like

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Remove Sabine from the equation.  Would that make a significant enough difference?

Maybe.

But this points to the new designer as well.  His words.." trajectory simulator will be ok because it the new bomber can' take sabine."

If he doesn' recognise the flaw in that statement, we need to question his competency to be designing this game.

3 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Maybe.

But this points to the new designer as well.  His words.." trajectory simulator will be ok because it the new bomber can' take sabine."

If he doesn' recognise the flaw in that statement, we need to question his competency to be designing this game.

Indeed. Right off the bat when the resistance bomber article appeared my first thought was "the ship is pretty meh, but trajectory simulator is a massive buff to Nym". If the plan was to allow just the resistance bombers to use it, they should have put it a restriction on the card.

1 hour ago, Lightrock said:

That might work. On the other hand, the result will probably be dead QD, dead Nym and 3 Nus with no harpoons and 4-5 HPs left. I reckon Miranda can still outfly them. They might try to take out Miranda instead, but it's risky. They need to telegraph their target through LRS and if they put TLs on Miranda, it's quite possible to simply SLAM out of Nus' arcs while Nym does his thing without having to worry about harpoons.

Nym has no way to evade their arcs, you go for Nym first. If they don't commit both ships on the initial joust then it's still 4v2 or maybe even 4v1.