Sign in to follow this  
eviltwin61878

addiction and chems

so, the text on most of the "chems" such as Buffout, Mentats and Jet say something to the effect of "exhaust this during a fight or test involving (these 2 special stats) to add 1 hit."

that leads to a question later

then it says "make an E3 check, if you fail, you become addicted" (which makes sense, I have no confusion here)

but first question, after that text, it then says "if you are addicted, you may not discard this and it costs caps to unexhaust"

so , does this mean that if I am not addicted, I have to discard this card when I use it? or does it mean that normally, i would have the option to discard it if I had too many cards but if I become addicted and my inventory is full, I have to discard a non-chem card because I'm addicted and refuse to let go of the chems?

does it mean that if I am not addicted, I keep the chem card exhausted and then I can unexhaust it for free when I camp, as in, I can use it over and over for free as long as I am not addicted?

which leads to another odd question as what if I am addicted and I am already holding 3 chems and I draw another chem, I am now carrying too many cards and must discard one and yet technically not allowed to discard any of them, would I then just pick one and discard it? 

next question is regarding the text "during a fight or test involving special stats"

I understand the tests, because every test always involves one or more special stats

but when does a fight involve a special stat?

i thought a fight was a fight was a fight.

so, does that mean that if you have a weapon with a particular stat, THEN and ONLY THEN, you can use it?

example : Buffout says "during a fight involving S or E, you may exhaust this to add 1 hit" 

when is a fight considered to be such that it "involves S or E"?

do I have to be equipped with like, the wastelander's tire iron which has "S" on it in order to use the buffout for that fight? if I'm equipped with the tire iron but I don't have "S" on my character board and am therefore unable to use the reroll with the weapon, am I still allowed to use the Buffout?

I guess that would also mean that I would need a weapon that uses "I" like the laser pistol in order to use the mentats in a fight?

On 1/14/2018 at 11:30 PM, eviltwin61878 said:

does it mean that if I am not addicted, I keep the chem card exhausted and then I can unexhaust it for free when I camp, as in, I can use it over and over for free as long as I am not addicted?

Seriously can't wait for an official FAQ for this game.  I was just pondering this exact matter the other day.  Realistically, I think it makes sense if a chem cost a cap to unexhaust every time (buy more drugs, duh), but the way the card is written, the language pretty solidly implies that you only pay for more drugs when you're a junkie.  That's a huge edge for the Vault Dweller, I'd say, since his starting equipment gives a boost to Endurance tests.

but when does a fight involve a special stat?

i thought a fight was a fight was a fight.

so, does that mean that if you have a weapon with a particular stat, THEN and ONLY THEN, you can use it?

example : Buffout says "during a fight involving S or E, you may exhaust this to add 1 hit" 

when is a fight considered to be such that it "involves S or E"?

do I have to be equipped with like, the wastelander's tire iron which has "S" on it in order to use the buffout for that fight? if I'm equipped with the tire iron but I don't have "S" on my character board and am therefore unable to use the reroll with the weapon, am I still allowed to use the Buffout?

I guess that would also mean that I would need a weapon that uses "I" like the laser pistol in order to use the mentats in a fight?

This one is tricky, but your interpretation is pretty much what I've been reading it as:  Fights only "involve" stats when there's a weapon.  I would say that as long as you have a weapon using a particular stat, the chem (or other booster) can be used whether you have that stat or not.  I figure on one hand, this game seemingly doesn't allow for voluntary unequipping of weapons and armor (you can replace or sell, but not just remove to inventory), and in the case of weapon like the Combat Knife (AA, inflict self harm on leg successes), it would speak very poorly of a weapon system where generally having a weapon makes you literally LESS effective in a fight.  The option to use chems, outfits, etc during a fight to coincide with a weapon you don't have a stat match with at least gives you SOMETHING... even if it's a something that requires an amount of lucky draws to get.