hismhs

Tie Avenger, please...

7 hours ago, agenttherock said:

I think there's an argument for the Tie Avenger being similar to the TIE Silencer in stats or role as the Empire doesn't have access to the silencer anymore, maybe make it so it feels like a less advanced silencer?

If they added it it would prob end up being a Prototype ,earlier designed by the Empire on some backwater Test facility and forgotten about that would eventually be looked upon by the first order for inspirational data for the Tie Silencer.

Edited by Zeoinx

I feel like there's a danger in a lot of the video game based ships.  Fans who loved the video games want the ship to do everything it could in the game.  Use the beam weapon to slow down enemies to pound them with Torpedoes or such.  Now, the Gunboat came out really well, I think.  The cannon vs missile/torpedo design, as well as the SLAM and Reload interactions with the Configurations/titles works.  It's also a ship which "flies differently" from a TIE Bomber or Punisher.

So the first question:  How should an Avenger fly?  TIE Interceptors move medium speed, but with access to double reposition.  TIE Advanced Prototype v1 moves slow and can only take a single movement action, but this allows potent close-in maneuverability and knife fighting.  TIE Defenders like to go fast, but have weak Blues at high speeds.

Something interesting would be to have only hard whites (let's say all 1/2/3 hards), but fast blues.  2/3 banks, 2/3/4 straight, white 5.  Let's say Segnor's Loop 2s, and a 4-K.  Nothing too fancy.

Actions... well, I think just copying from a TIE Interceptor would be boring.  If it's just one of those with more hit points, yawn.  Let's shake it up.  A-Wings have a more limited form of Autothrusters in "Vectored Thrusters," so maybe toss on "Lateral Thrusters" which would let you perform a red barrel roll after any action.  Give them an action bar like an A-Wing (Focus, Evade, Lock, Boost, Barrel Roll), and you'd have a more limited kind of double reposition.  It'd be really interesting to see that on a ship without hard turns.

So this version of an Avenger wouldn't fly as well as an Interceptor, but you'd still have a lot of options.

I don't mind seeing Cannon upgrades, but easy double attacks like TIE/D should remain in 1e.  It probably wouldn't suck to give it a M3-A/T-70 Weapons Hardpoint.

For regen, I'd be pretty scared by built-in regen on 3-agility ships.

General statline, it's probably something kinda dull like 3/3/3/1 or 3/3/2/2.  Maybe 3/3/4/1 (Starviper line), but only if it doesn't get a built-in recover.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

For regen, I'd be pretty scared by built-in regen on 3-agility ships.

Maybe give it a linked Boost > Red Barrel Roll or Barrel Roll > Red Boost for reposition and have its ship ability be a 1 charge for 1 shield regen action with 1 non-recurring charge point?

8 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

The Tie Bomber was built from the ground up, and is scaled to be of equal weight in each pod, as well as a compensator for the ammunition weight. This increased the size of the generator for the ship, engines, as hull, which makes sense. The Tie Brute appears to suffer from Jedi Interceptor syndrome. All the function, but somehow no hull to represent how it can do what it can. It adds a small support column, and a generator to power the heavy blasters but not enough to power the other additional systems that would be needed to adjust the new size of the ship, such as a MGK-300 droid brain it seems to have, as well as the power cells for the firepower itself, new engines to power that half of the ship etc etc. The original lore for the Tie Fighter itself, is "Its a flying Coffin", basically, it barely has room for the pilot, let along the systems, and its all crammed into this ball shaped cockpit, and there you go. What Disney has done, especially seeing this ship, and the First Order TIE/sf is take a basic tie fighter that had zero room, and somehow now has the room for a shield generator, more powerful weapons, a REAR gun, a REAR gunner, stronger engines, a new special communication system, etc.. etc... and somehow cram it all into a Tie Fighter basic hull. Come on man, Im all for unique ships, but when they are truely unique and fit some level of realism in the universe they are representing. Its like saying the Jedi could take a piece of metal, and surf through space on it, using the force in all ways and take down tie fighters. We would look at that and be like, no... because it wouldn't fit with established lore, visual appearance of what starwars represents, and it would just be out there. This is just one more thing to me that I feel is just a bit out there without proper attention to details.

This is exactly why I get annoyed when people say "of course it doesn't make sense, it's Star Wars".

Well maybe star wars stuff doesn't make sense in our world, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULDN'T MAKE SENSE IN ITS OWN UNIVERSE!

I'm glad there are other people who think the same about these things.

Edited by Infinite_Maelstrom
Defender of the Empire

45 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Maybe give it a linked Boost > Red Barrel Roll or Barrel Roll > Red Boost for reposition and have its ship ability be a 1 charge for 1 shield regen action with 1 non-recurring charge point?

Perhaps have a charge that regens only when you don't shoot?  then you can spend it the round after not shooting.  Maybe it would need to be 2 charges to regen one shield?

I think there could be plenty of options for "unlimited" regen that are not overly powerful, especially if it only has one shield.

6 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

My first thought was that they could make a "recover" action, it'd be red, give a disarm token, and I'd still probably want to make it charge-based (two charges, lets say).  But the thing about that is that you'd basically have to include the cost of an R2 or R5 droid into the base cost of a TIE Avenger.  Most X-Wings and Y-Wings don't equip R2 droids.  Given the fact that this will be a 3-agility ship, a 2-shield regen ability probably adds like 6-8 points to the cost of the ship.  If you think about one of these as being equivalent to a Starviper, you'd be looking at a generic in the low-to-mid 50 point range, and perhaps nearly 60 points for a Talent higher generic.

5 hours ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

Perhaps have a charge that regens only when you don't shoot?  then you can spend it the round after not shooting.  Maybe it would need to be 2 charges to regen one shield?

I think there could be plenty of options for "unlimited" regen that are not overly powerful, especially if it only has one shield.

I tend to think fully unlimited regen would be an issue.  Gonk exists, and Miranda exists, but both are pretty restricted.  Miranda only works on no-shields, and has low agility so will often be taking chip damage to a hull, which a 3-agility ship might not be taking.  Gonk takes two actions, and is incredibly expensive.  I'd prefer to leave a lot of this back in 1e.

//

I guess it'd be kinda cool to think up what a balanced Imperial Regen ship would be.

I keep coming back to (1) heavy drawbacks like ion, stress, and disarm tokens, as well as limited charges (2) limiting it to when you aren't shielded (3) not that much hull.  Something like a 3/3/2/2 statline seems right for a ship which can only regen when not shielded.  And then it'd still probably have to be prohibitively expensive.

Kind of makes me wonder if we'll see any new Empire ships at all the coming year. I'd assume they'd rerelease the Bomber, Interceptor and Lambda, and possibly the Striker and v1, as well as repackaging the Reaper, before releasing any of the existing EU stuff, let alone new EU ship.

I just want to say i really, really, really want TIE Avenger for the Empire at some point. Especially since we no longer have the TIE Silencer... we've got a niche open.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:09 AM, Okapi said:

Kind of makes me wonder if we'll see any new Empire ships at all the coming year. I'd assume they'd rerelease the Bomber, Interceptor and Lambda, and possibly the Striker and v1, as well as repackaging the Reaper, before releasing any of the existing EU stuff, let alone new EU ship.

Image result for porque no los dos gif

I don't mind waiting as long as we'll get this eventually.

Though the longer it goes, the more i fear they're forgetting or ignoring TIE Avenger. (Also, i gotta say i don't care at all about other old expanded universe TIEs that aren't released already, this is the last cool one.)

3 minutes ago, Odanan said:

BTW, the new TIE Silencer First Order TIE Interceptor looks very like the TIE Avenger, don't you think?

No. That has wings of the Silencer, typical sphere center but "reinforced", and turret of the TIE/sf.

The TIE Avenger is very different, with notches in the wings front and back, flattened central section.

Of course, i don't think the TIE Silencer looks like TIE Interceptor either, way too many differences for that.

1 hour ago, Woorloog said:

No. That has wings of the Silencer, typical sphere center but "reinforced", and turret of the TIE/sf.

The TIE Avenger is very different, with notches in the wings front and back, flattened central section.

Of course, i don't think the TIE Silencer looks like TIE Interceptor either, way too many differences for that.

Oh, do you expect a 100% copy?

This is the original TIE Advanced Avenger:

200?cb=20070805183031

Close enough for me. (I will just remove the turret and repaint it in Imperial grey)