hismhs

Tie Avenger, please...

Absolutely in favour of this. Come to think of it- how can it be given its own unique niche?

Given that the Silencer is, as a base chassis, already situated between the Defender and the Interceptor (which is where I'd have put the Avenger before). So, what to do with it?

From Wookiepedia:

The TIE Avenger's primary role was space superiority or starfighter interception. The Avenger excelled in this role: during the Galactic Civil War, no Rebel Alliance fighter could out-run or outmaneuver the Avenger. In the right hands, it could outmatch its intended replacement, the TIE Defender, as the Avenger's small size made it a more difficult target and afforded it better maneuverability, and as the Defender's large tri-wing design introduced several blind spots.[3] When coupled with the tractor beam weapon, the Avenger was even more deadly.

We know we wouldn't get any PS9's, but playing around with effects based on speed, both in upgrades and pilot abilities could be a lot of fun (think the idea behind the /x7)?

Edited by DampfGecko

Honestly, this one may not get done. It just doesn’t have a roll game wise that another this is currently doing. At least without making a ship obsolete.  The Defender is likely to be a superior Jouster, if it’s a suped up Intercepter than it’s cost is going to be close the the Silencer which will have a superior dial. If it’s supposed to have Missles it’s going to be outgunned by bombers or the Star Wing. Pretty ship that at the moment doesn’t have the niche to fin in properly.

IIRC, in the lore, this was a stripped down, more cost-effective version of the TIE Advanced.  So it would be a lower-costed, less-featured TIE Advanced.  As someone who grew up with the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer games, I would love a model of this, but I just don't see its role in this game.

And also, are there any 2 people on the planet who agree what this ship is supposed to look like?  From the game, it was a TIE Advanced with the front and back parts of the middle section of the panels (solar or heat diffusing, depending on who you ask) missing .  If you look up images of this you will see all sorts of differences on how much of that section of panel was missing, you will see round or stretched canopy bubbles, or you will see a TIE Interceptor!  I kind of want this ship to be made in this game just to "canonize" its appearance!

For it to fit the game, it would need to fit right in the middle of the Interceptor and Silencer in points. Dial should be a combo of the Tie Advanced and Interceptor, green 1 banks instead of 1 turns, and make 2 turns white. Add a 1 point free tractor beam attack title (like Tie/D), or a free Missile slot with reload title. 3 hull, 2 shields, 3 defense, and in today's game it needs 3 attack.  It could use a system slot, but might make it too powerful with the tractor title. Give it a new action, using the 2 turn to perform a boost/barrel roll combo(don't know what to call it), but it will put the ship the the same spot as a barrel roll forward a boost straight. Needs TL, focus, evade  and new repositioning action

It wouldn't be as tanky as a Defender, not as nimble as the Interceptor or Silencer, hit a little harder than Vader, but be limited in PS and actions. 

PS 7, EPT. Aquire a free TL after performing an attack that hits. 32/33 points 

PS 5, EPT. After executing a green maneuver, you may skip your perform action step, if you do, you may perform an action at the start of the combat phase. 30 points 

Generic PS 3 27 points and PS 1 25 points 

56 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

I'd love a tie avenger but for now I can get a shapeways model and use the silencers rules.

This. I’m good. No need for some incremental variation. 

Though I’d like to see an TIE Avenger title for the Silencer... give it a missile slot

It's not my favorite TIE ever, but I'd still like to see it. I think it might have a somewhat unusual dial, because of its stubby shape and fast engines. I also think it's a much cheaper ship than the Silencer. I think maybe having it be like the TIE Advanced with an attack of 3 and some Tallon Rolls might be a good place to start. 

Agreed, it's pretty similar to the Silencer, but FFG is gonna keep coming out with new stuff, so I'd rather they at least make it stuff I know. Maybe we can talk once we've got the V-Wing, the V-19 Torrent, the Blastboat, and  those things from Rebels (the landing craft with like eight little TIE Interceptor wings). 

1 hour ago, sirjorj said:

And also, are there any 2 people on the planet who agree what this ship is supposed to look like?  From the game, it was a TIE Advanced with the front and back parts of the middle section of the panels (solar or heat diffusing, depending on who you ask) missing .  If you look up images of this you will see all sorts of differences on how much of that section of panel was missing, you will see round or stretched canopy bubbles, or you will see a TIE Interceptor!  I kind of want this ship to be made in this game just to "canonize" its appearance!

The ‘first’ Avenger image:3-capture_004_Stele_Chronicles.png

then ingame (TIE Fighter) we have Avengers introduced while dropping bombs for some reason.

ZaarinVader.JPG

Then we have the launch sequence 200?cb=20070805183031

and the addition  of beam weaponslatest?cb=20071014163705

around the mid 90s Decipher made the SWCCG and depicted the TIE/ad with a more standardized look:latest?cb=20070812231007

and then X-Wing alliance depicted these craft in yet another way, but did show where the warhead launchers are.T-A01.jpg

i guess I would prefer the standardized cockpit but sturdier fan tail/wing hubs of the last picture.

Vader's Tie Advanced and Ren's Silencer are both special craft outfitted for senior (force-sensitive) personnel. 

Thematically, it might stand to reason that a mass-produced version of the Tie Advanced - the Avenger - would not necessarily be quite so versatile/powerful?

Does that give the Avenger a possible slot between the Interceptor and the Advanced? Is the Silencer a significantly better and more expensive (in points) craft than the Advanced?

4 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

I rather have the Tie Droid from Rogue Squadron games before the Avenger.

Tie_D_1.jpg

I think it would bring unique gameplay and bring a return to swarm lists again.

I want these too! In combination with the Scum Vulture Droids, @Odanan made a Program Upgrade type for DROID-only...  those would fit perfectly with these too! A droid wave would be cool!

PS. love those models!

Edited by Wookiee_Slayer

The niche is actually rather simple to find. The Avenger is a cheaper silencer. Pointwise there is enough room between the silencer and the interceptor to fit another ship into… and that is not the TIE/Advanced which got these days it's use as harpoon missile platform and that's basically it. 

So price wise similar to the defender, but build around mobility instead of firepower / token stacking. Adding a free extra beam attack would be a nice start, having a similar dial to the silencer, but lacking the system slot would be a nice addition, rounding it up with PS8 pilots with EPTs. Arc dodging via moving enemy ships at PS10 sounds like an interesting niche which as well should compensate for lacking the token stacking. 

Playtesting naturally needed and running with PS8 PTL pilots sounds cool too, pilot choices and options are something nice to have with a ship. 

If I was to fan-make a TIE Avenger I'd honestly probably just make it a TIE Advanced + 1 attack and a dial/movement options more like an Interceptor or a A-wing. Probably add the boost action too. Maybe switch the hull and shield values around, the Avenger had a solid shield system but came apart like balsa wood once they were down.

As it happens, FFG doesn't just want to roll out every ship simply because it's in a source somewhere, they seem to want every ship released to have a specific role or niche that doesn't overlap too heavily with another ship. I think it's why they basically smushed together the Missile Boat and the Assault Gunboat (which is an idea I'd be interested to see carried over to the new Disney Canon if we ever see a Gunboat again)

I suppose it could carry an Imperial Bullseye arc. That seems contrived to me, to be honest, but it's an option.

As it currently happens, I feel like the Silencer is a reasonably good proxy for the Avenger. Although proxy or not, it needs a missile slot.

Edited by Ktan

9 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

I rather have the Tie Droid from Rogue Squadron games before the Avenger.

Tie_D_1.jpg

I think it would bring unique gameplay and bring a return to swarm lists again.

From Dark Empire, just FYI 

Agreed... give them sort of consecutive fire on same target bonus (and make this something a TIE Fighter can have too).  

16 hours ago, Ronu said:

It just doesn’t have a roll game wise that another this is currently doing.

There are quite a few ships with no role, and they still got made.  This argument never really makes any sense.  FFG just cooks up a new set of stats and a dial and sells you a toy space ship and some cardboard.

The game literally has two Millennium Falcons and people are racking their brains trying to figure out how to add another TIE ship to the game? :lol:

8 hours ago, Lobokai said:

From Dark Empire, just FYI 

Agreed... give them sort of consecutive fire on same target bonus (and make this something a TIE Fighter can have too).  

Well, It was the first place I PERSONALLY saw the Tie Droid in, and was personally aware of its capabilities. I didnt even know Dark Empire was around back then.