Jump to content
BlodVargarna

Preparing for Nymiranda

Recommended Posts

I really don't think you can take much from that Joel/AC final.  Monday morning quarterbacking, I think AC had a bad version of the list, set up wrong and engaged entirely too fast.  You don't need slam bombing with this list, which frees up Miranda's mod slot for LRS.  There's also an argument for LRS over chips on Nym.  Lastly, bomblet on Nym...just...no.  

I don't have answers to solve it, but this list is nowhere near optimized and people aren't playing it very well.  It's done so well because it's easy mode.  It's only going to get worse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I really don't think you can take much from that Joel/AC final.  Monday morning quarterbacking, I think AC had a bad version of the list, set up wrong and engaged entirely too fast.  You don't need slam bombing with this list, which frees up Miranda's mod slot for LRS.  There's also an argument for LRS over chips on Nym.  Lastly, bomblet on Nym...just...no.  

I don't have answers to solve it, but this list is nowhere near optimized and people aren't playing it very well.  It's done so well because it's easy mode.  It's only going to get worse.

 

 

While I appreciate all talk of piloting strategy... This.

 

A lot of the potential piloting solutions require your opponent to be overaggressive and overconfident in the list.  Furthermore the list has many small variations which makes it difficult to nail down the list to practice against. Autoblaster Nym and TLT Nym can be very different in the long game.

 

The ability for the list to blink off a ship with its alpha requires a more nuanced approach which is then easily punished by TLT and Bombs.

 

I think we are approaching the unfortunate state of needing to counter this through list-building rather than flying.  That is the definition of meta warping. I'd expect to see an uptick in VCX-100s and Poe as people look to tank the alpha or shed the locks and disable the missile launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

@wurms another great post. 

How would you recommend dealing with Miranda and Nym if you are running a 2 ship list, specifically Poe (non regen) and Chewie?

I've practiced too long with this list to change  lists for Saturday, so what I’m looking for is an idea about engagement. Chewie can last about 2 rounds to the combined fire of those ships, Poe about 1.  (I’ve gotten some experience with Nymiranda on Vassal but never in the wild). 

 

You'll need Poe to shed the locks on the approach. I'm guessing you are using bb-8, VI, black 1, autos, and optics. This means you need to fly right around the falcon. Don't boost the Falcon in past the bombs. Place the Falcon to block their escape similar to how Yorr was placed. You need to decide which ship you will target on this joust and focus it until the end. It probably needs to be Miranda so she can regen in the endgame.

 

That only works if they joust in a tight formation. If they take their time and split up they should be able set up some kiting with Miranda which will pressure your Poe to leave Chewy.

 

If they have clusters on Miranda the matchup gets a lot worse for you as Miranda can really punish you without a lock.

 

I'd expect most good players to bail on the joust upon seeing your ability to drop locks. You'll have an extended game of bombing TLT kites (which will be easy for them if you attach Poe to a PS 5 Chewy) until Poe drifts too far from Chewy to shed his lock. They can and should wait you out until this happens. Countermeasures could help when you need to split but you only have so many points and black one already pulls that weight against most lists. In this sort of game their ability to set bombs and hold them will pay off. All they need to do to win is take 7 health off Chewy and not lose a ship.  A smart player will exploit this and you will find yourself fighting time as much as anything. In a long kiting game.... You cannot kill Miranda. She will slam away when needed and regen when possible. Nym must be your target as all your damage will stick and you can potentially win on time by killing Nym and keeping both other ships alive.

 

My advice is to bait the joust but be ready for the long game and hope they make mistakes. Most people make multiple mistakes every game. Their most likely mistake will be to joust and use missiles like they normally do. If they avoid this pitfall, their next likely mistake is to split their ships poorly - leaving one of them with subpar movement choices, either exposing a ship or taking one away from the action due to obstacles and/or positioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe nobody has mentioned RAClo as a fairly obvious counter to Nymranda.    RAClo + QD or similiar high PS seems to be an almost unwinnable matchup for Nymranda.

First round of combat Nym is PS0'd.   He should be dead a turn or two after that while never getting another shot off (blinded).   Then it's mop up work on Miranda.

Now the question is can RAClo win enough of the games against the other meta lists to be a worthy call.  I think it's a farily good matchup against KyRho's, a near auto win vs. Poe/Dash or Poe/Han, and tougher matchups against trip/quad wookies and QD + 3 boats.   

I'm seriously thinking about pulling RAClo back out, as it seems like Gunboats and Wookie spam are becoming just a little less prevalent which was it's main issue.

Am I wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Waaaaaampa said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned RAClo as a fairly obvious counter to Nymranda.    RAClo + QD or similiar high PS seems to be an almost unwinnable matchup for Nymranda.

First round of combat Nym is PS0'd.   He should be dead a turn or two after that while never getting another shot off (blinded).   Then it's mop up work on Miranda.

Now the question is can RAClo win enough of the games against the other meta lists to be a worthy call.  I think it's a farily good matchup against KyRho's, a near auto win vs. Poe/Dash or Poe/Han, and tougher matchups against trip/quad wookies and QD + 3 boats.   

I'm seriously thinking about pulling RAClo back out, as it seems like Gunboats and Wookie spam are becoming just a little less prevalent which was it's main issue.

Am I wrong here?

I might actually focus the blinded pilots onto Miranda, to prevent her from using regen, especially since she can't slam and clear Blinded Pilot on the same turn.

Still, a very good thought!  Follow the meta... if RAClo's main problems are seeing a decline thanks to NymRanda, then maybe it's time for a resurgence...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wurms said:

Instead of just building a list and thinking that is the counter to Nymranda, you need to get some actual tactical strategy against it or no list will do. Most lists are trying to out joust it, instead of outsmart it.

If you have not played against or with any Nymranda + Harpoon build, I suggest you get some experience.

Before the finals in the San Antonio System Open, AC Yager in 8 matches only lost 2 ships in the entire tournament (only 1 before the top 4). This is how nasty the list can be.

You cant just take a stress ezra/braylen either and think you will shut them down, because they are 1 agility ships, there is no guarantee you are going to miss that first shot. And with the fire power this list has, no guarantee that ship will shoot either. I played Nymranda versus my brothers double wookiees/ezra list. Miranda was out of range, but Nym wasnt, he fired with ezra and got 1 damage and 1 stress. No big deal. Next round, launch a bomb, 2 bank. Bomb damages all three ships and I TLT with Nym. Lots of damage that round.

Watching the system open final, Joel who flew the Palp Aces (Yorr/QD/Inqy) had great rock placement. From what I have seen, and experienced, fighting Nymranda is all about rounds 0-3.

afeiNfk.png?2

Miranda and nym came out with a 1 straight, followed by a 3 forward. Notice that debris, it prevents just about any good move Miranda has next turn. If Miranda did a 2 straight previous round, she would still be in the same predicament, a 2 sharp as her only good move, as a 2 bank would still put her either on the debris or land just in front and in arc of the lambda. Joel placed all three debris in this game, whether this was his strategy or not, it worked beautifully. He placed Lamba in that corner, and AC Yager setup opposite of the Lambda to take Palps out first.

Another tip to pick up in this video is the flanker, in this case Inquisitor. This is VERY important. After the joust, Miranda whats to skirt away to TLT and regen. That flanker keeps the pressure on. There is no k-turning because your ships were head on with Nymranda. No 2 sharps or 1 sharps that Miranda can slam away from or dodge arcs. The flanker slow rolls next turns to get shots on Miranda and limit her possible moves.

The lambda shuttle was MVP in the match. Its big base prevented most of Miranda and Nyms safe moves in the next turn. Miranda cant go 3 straight, bank right, etc. Small ships can be easily flown over, and then cluster mined (Miranda has clusters here).

Spoiler: Joel annihilated Nymranda in this match without a single missile and just two 3-die primary aces and a shuttle. It doesn't take insane amounts of firepower to beat this list.

Now, before you right my post off as junk, let's look at a previous matchup AC had versus the EXACT SAME LIST:

5OHSrZv.png?1

AC came out with the same moves, a 1 forward followed by a 3-straight. Notice the rock placement? Notice the shuttle? A typical stop maneuver Palp move. Look at all that room Miranda has to operate next turn. She can go wherever she wants. And she does:

bZWPHWg.png?1

A nice cluster bomb right on Quickdraw.

So its not about firepower. Close Miranda's escape routes and keep the pressure on her with a flanker or turret/wide/multi arc ship. Nymranda wants to joust you with those bombs and harpoons, so bait with a ship on the side you want to engage on (the side you placed rocks). If they dont line up straight across for the joust, then this should benefit you cause it will be harder for Nymranda to line up both harpoons and a bomb later on during the match.

With what we now know, I thought I would post a couple Scum lists (since they are all but extinct in top rankings at the moment).

List 1:

Manaroo (27) w/ Attanni Mindlink (1), Intelligence Agent (1), Rigged Cargo Chute (1), Tactical Jammer (1)

Thweek (28), Fire-Control System (2), Glitterstim (2), Autothrusters (2), StarViper Mk. II (-3), Virago (1)

Talonbane Cobra (28) w/ Attanni Mindlink (1), Scrambler Missiles (2), Inertial Dampeners (1), Engine Upgrade (4), Vectored Thrusters (2), Autothrusters (2), Vaksai (0)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Im going for the same archetype as Palp Aces. Manaroo places first, then Miranda, then your aces. Nymranda likes to joust, so set Manaroo on the side you want this to take place. Manaroo also supplies the big body like the shuttle and a threat Nymranda doesnt really want around. She is Talonbane's focus feeder and with Intel and Rigged Cargo can give Miranda a really bad time, and as she is blocking jammers kick in giving the aces an extra green against TLTs. Thweek is the flanker ala Inquisitor in the list, while Talonbane is the heavy hitter. Both aces move after Miranda, able to keep the pressure up.

List 2:

Thweek (28) w/ Fire-Control System (2), Autothrusters (2), StarViper Mk. II (-3), Virago (1)

Captain Nym (Scum) (30) w/ Veteran Instincts (1), Twin Laser Turret (6), Bomblet Generator (3), Trajectory Simulator (1), "Genius" (0), Havoc (0)

Contracted Scout (25) w/ Adaptability (0), Intelligence Agent (1)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Similar idea above, the scout blocks Miranda if they cant kill it, letting the aces go to work. Intel also lets you know what Nym is doing to avoid genius bombs. Thweek flanks and Nym keeps the pressure on Miranda shutting off slamming areas with bombs and damage every round with TLT.

Most Nymrandas are coming in at 98pts. Notice I kept mine at 97pts. Great for thweek in other matchups as well.

Excellent write up Wurms!  Posts like these are why I hang out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Waaaaaampa said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned RAClo as a fairly obvious counter to Nymranda.    RAClo + QD or similiar high PS seems to be an almost unwinnable matchup for Nymranda.

First round of combat Nym is PS0'd.   He should be dead a turn or two after that while never getting another shot off (blinded).   Then it's mop up work on Miranda.

Now the question is can RAClo win enough of the games against the other meta lists to be a worthy call.  I think it's a farily good matchup against KyRho's, a near auto win vs. Poe/Dash or Poe/Han, and tougher matchups against trip/quad wookies and QD + 3 boats.   

I'm seriously thinking about pulling RAClo back out, as it seems like Gunboats and Wookie spam are becoming just a little less prevalent which was it's main issue.

Am I wrong here?

RAClo is the answer to Nym/Miranda, but would probably struggle against the rest of the field.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks for this! It's very interesting to have a game dissected.

I'm trying to figure out how to apply this to a quintet of generic Strikers, but there are useful lessons in there.

20 hours ago, wurms said:

Miranda and nym came out with a 1 straight, followed by a 3 forward. Notice that debris, it prevents just about any good move Miranda has next turn. If Miranda did a 2 straight previous round, she would still be in the same predicament, a 2 sharp as her only good move, as a 2 bank would still put her either on the debris or land just in front and in arc of the lambda. Joel placed all three debris in this game, whether this was his strategy or not, it worked beautifully. He placed Lamba in that corner, and AC Yager setup opposite of the Lambda to take Palps out first.

In the games I've seen, the two bombers have started facing along the back edge, and turned into the board at a time of their choosing rather than rushed to engage. The advantage of the 'palp aces' variant is that you slap down the big bad shuttle and that's all the Rebels have to work with - meaning that they tend to set up to hunt it down ASAP.

in my case, I'm not sure that that's really an option, because I have to place my entire squad - I can't 'react'.

Nevertheless, it's worth a thought. 

My default deployment tends to be in one corner in a W facing up the board - it gives me space to deploy in because people don't generally want to joust 5 3-dice attacks.

This squad, however, with Splash Damage, The Musical, is perfectly happy in a head-on pass - one Proton bomb + Sabine Wren + two Harpoon Missiles giving you either two kills & one splash damage or one kill and two splash damage can cripple a list of 5 fragile ships beyond recovery in a single combat phase - especially since after the joust I can't use my (slow) segnor or koiogran moves to turn around and pursue without getting bomblet-ed and thermal detonator-ed to heck.

So, not a head on 'block'. Especially given your comment about flankers:

20 hours ago, wurms said:

Another tip to pick up in this video is the flanker, in this case Inquisitor. This is VERY important. After the joust, Miranda whats to skirt away to TLT and regen. That flanker keeps the pressure on. There is no k-turning because your ships were head on with Nymranda. No 2 sharps or 1 sharps that Miranda can slam away from or dodge arcs. The flanker slow rolls next turns to get shots on Miranda and limit her possible moves.

Indeed. I  have often in the past set up in a 'dragnet' formation when trying to hunt down someone elusive like Dash Rendar. Dropping the W to a V formation and then putting two lone strikers at the 1/3 and 2/3 points  along my base edge gives me a flanker element, and if they take the bait, using a bank/turn/roll to get out the way might help - you can't exactly 'slow roll' with a TIE striker given it's insane minimum speed.

20 hours ago, wurms said:

AC came out with the same moves, a 1 forward followed by a 3-straight. Notice the rock placement? Notice the shuttle? A typical stop maneuver Palp move. Look at all that room Miranda has to operate next turn. She can go wherever she wants. And she does:

Not sure this is something I can do to the same extent. I can put 2 or even 3 strikers in a head-on pass whilst the others try to flank, but it'll take some co-ordinating. The main problem is that each striker is worth 2/3 of the shuttle here, and even 3 together are no-where near as good a blocking force.

Three of them form enough of a force that I can 'block the way' if I've created a nice wall of obstacles, but three in close enough proximity to support are probably prone to fratricide in splash damage. Problem is that I don't think 2 is enough to provide a reliable block.

It may be worth just fielding all 5 spread out equally and trying to accelerate in as a net - strikers do okay when they're coming in from every direction - and probably have whoever finds themselves looking at the end the harpoons and bombs come out of break off and evade, instead of trying to close and focus.

 

20 hours ago, wurms said:

So its not about firepower. Close Miranda's escape routes and keep the pressure on her with a flanker or turret/wide/multi arc ship. Nymranda wants to joust you with those bombs and harpoons, so bait with a ship on the side you want to engage on (the side you placed rocks). If they dont line up straight across for the joust, then this should benefit you cause it will be harder for Nymranda to line up both harpoons and a bomb later on during the match.

Definitely engage Miranda with a dragnet. The problem with her (compared to Dash Rendar or Nym) is that a single ship keeping her under fire at all times is largely irrelevant - thanks to her turret and special rule she can recover a shield a turn without breaking a sweat. Theoretically that should mean kill her first (whilst I still have the numbers) but I'm worried that committing to killing her means I don't kill either (because Nym isn't great at breaking off in the first place and can't recover shields even if he does).

18 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

@wurms another great post. 

How would you recommend dealing with Miranda and Nym if you are running a 2 ship list, specifically Poe (non regen) and Chewie?

I've practiced too long with this list to change  lists for Saturday, so what I’m looking for is an idea about engagement. Chewie can last about 2 rounds to the combined fire of those ships, Poe about 1.  (I’ve gotten some experience with Nymiranda on Vassal but never in the wild). 

I saw someone using a Chewbacca/Poe list and he was quite confident in being able to tank this stuff - his build was a very tough chewie, though - C-3PO, Rey, Lone Wolf, Millenium Falcon Title - able to reliably tank a harpoon for just a single point of damage and largely ignore the proton bombs. I think you'll need to troll chewie as an 'easy target' (since he's setting up first you don't have much choice) and use Poe as the flanker - comparing the "aggressive shuttle" and 'flanker' in @wurms post above and you're probably not far wrong.

Black One is nice, but I think trying to nail Chewie to the falcon to try and shed locks is a mistake, because you're giving up the biggest thing PS11 Advanced Optics Poe has going for him - his manoeuvrability and ability to largely ignore sustained weak turret fire due to Poe's ability and Autothrusters.

 

 

 

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Magnus Grendel Five Strikers is going to be one **** of a tough fight against nymranda. But lots of arcs are ideal versus Miranda, so that is in your favor. Still feel Miranda needs to die first. She has the unlimited bombs and regen and sabine carrier and slam. Block her escape routes with your ships and try and get some range 1 shots on her like all swarms. a couple focused 4 dice attacks that swing your way can drop her fast. The ships are definitely squirrely enough to keep the pressure on her though.  Just practiced against the list a few times, even if it's against yourself. Get the first engagement down. 

I played Nymranda vs my brothers wookiees again yesterday (Wulf/Low/Era). This time after discussing tactics, he flanked with Wulf (like Inquisitor) and kept Ezra and Low just inside range 2 of each other coming at Nymranda. The flank with Wulf troubled me at first. Low coming head on, and Wulf to the side, both with those arcs kept the heat on miranda. Because Low and Ezra were apart, my bomb only damaged Ezra, and after I whiffed on Nyms Harpoon missile, he lived with 1 hull and double stressed Miranda. Miranda was down to 3 hull by the time Ezra and Low were gone and Miranda loss her stress, but my brother got greedy and 3 forwarded with Wulf, thinking Miranda was gonna 3 bank and slam away and instead I 1 banked. This put nym and Miranda behind Wulf. We called game.

The flank was definitely troublesome though. I was contemplating turning to Wulf at the beginning and bomb and Harpoon him, but I couldn't risk Ezra living multiple rounds stressing my ships, so Wulf came in a bit slow and missed two rounds of action, but was still able to get Miranda down to 3 hull regardless. If he had those two rounds that he missed, Miranda would have been in trouble. That will take practice to get the timing right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wurms said:

@Magnus Grendel Five Strikers is going to be one **** of a tough fight against nymranda. But lots of arcs are ideal versus Miranda, so that is in your favor. Still feel Miranda needs to die first. She has the unlimited bombs and regen and sabine carrier and slam. Block her escape routes with your ships and try and get some range 1 shots on her like all swarms. a couple focused 4 dice attacks that swing your way can drop her fast. The ships are definitely squirrely enough to keep the pressure on her though.  Just practiced against the list a few times, even if it's against yourself. Get the first engagement down. 

I played Nymranda vs my brothers wookiees again yesterday (Wulf/Low/Era). This time after discussing tactics, he flanked with Wulf (like Inquisitor) and kept Ezra and Low just inside range 2 of each other coming at Nymranda. The flank with Wulf troubled me at first. Low coming head on, and Wulf to the side, both with those arcs kept the heat on miranda. Because Low and Ezra were apart, my bomb only damaged Ezra, and after I whiffed on Nyms Harpoon missile, he lived with 1 hull and double stressed Miranda. Miranda was down to 3 hull by the time Ezra and Low were gone and Miranda loss her stress, but my brother got greedy and 3 forwarded with Wulf, thinking Miranda was gonna 3 bank and slam away and instead I 1 banked. This put nym and Miranda behind Wulf. We called game.

The flank was definitely troublesome though. I was contemplating turning to Wulf at the beginning and bomb and Harpoon him, but I couldn't risk Ezra living multiple rounds stressing my ships, so Wulf came in a bit slow and missed two rounds of action, but was still able to get Miranda down to 3 hull regardless. If he had those two rounds that he missed, Miranda would have been in trouble. That will take practice to get the timing right.

Any insight on a 2 ship list? Move big baddie towards Miradna, flank with Poe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite lists out there has some high counters to nymiranda, while not perfect, certainly helps.  Double Lancers.  I run mine paired fairly close together, so they really don't like splash damage, but being they both have countermeasures, that makes it difficult for them to get their Harpoons out as you can strip the TL's.  I can tractor 1, and occasionally both depending how flown.  Ketsu takes effect at the beginning of the combat phase.  If you can push one onto a rock, then you don't have to worry about attacks that turn.  Lastly the extra stress that Asajj tends to hand out will also limit their mobility and action economy.  It has to be played right, I love narrowing their space with rocks and pushing them down a side.  it makes it VERY difficult for them to land, and Ketsu loves it when they bump him because he can tractor them back just enough hit them range one.  I've also ran Ketsu with EU in the past, which can help if you'd rather close distance fast.  I've also run VI's on them with success as well.

99 points

52 points
Ketsu Onyo
Lancer-class Pursuit Craft, Unique
At the start of the Combat phase, you may choose a ship at Range 1. If it is inside your primary and mobile firing arcs, assign 1 tractor beam token to it.
Fearlessness (1)
Dengar (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Shadow Caster (3)
Counter-Measures (3)
 
47 points
Asajj Ventress
Lancer-class Pursuit Craft, Unique
At the start of the Combat phase, you may choose a ship at Range 1-2. If it is inside your mobile firing arc, assign 1 stress token to it.
Adaptability (0) 
K4 Security Droid (3) 
Glitterstim (2) 
Glitterstim (2)  
Counter-Measures (3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mattman75 said:

Can someone please tell me what Timewarp Asajj is?? 

Asajj Ventress [37]

Glitterstim [2]

Glitterstim [2]

Latts Razzi [2]

Lone Wolf [2]

Countermeasures [3]

 

Ship total {48}

Still don't get why she's called timewalk tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CMDR Ytterium said:

Asajj Ventress [37]

Glitterstim [2]

Glitterstim [2]

Latts Razzi [2]

Lone Wolf [2]

Countermeasures [3]

 

Ship total {48}

Still don't get why she's called timewalk tho...

It's a Magic the Gathering reference. One of the earliest, and most powerful cards printed was called Time walk. It allows the player to take another turn, which is what this build of Asajj basically does. Someone mentioned it on a streas somewhere at sometime and it caught on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my buddy play Nymmiranda against me today and I beat it with this:

100 points

 

PILOTS

Bossk (51)
YV-666 (35), Expertise (4), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Dengar (3), Boba Fett (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Ketsu Onyo (49)
Lancer-class Pursuit Craft (38), Veteran Instincts (1), K4 Security Droid (3), Glitterstim (2), Shadow Caster (3), Gyroscopic Targeting (2)

My plan as to flank with Bossk and run Ketsu into the middle of his ships and hope for some bumps. He turned Nym and Miranda towards Bossk denying his flanking position. With some careful range control I managed to get Bossk in range one of both his ships so he couldn't get his harpoons off and got a Damaged Sensor Array onto Miranda hile stripping off her tlt with Boba. Since Miranda couldn't slam any more she was in rough shape and Ketsu finished her off in the second round of combat. Meanwhile Bossk took some heavy damage,he was don to 1 hp after the second round of combat due to some good bombing on my opponents part. Bossk ran away and the next time he had an opportunity to shoot he got hit with a trajectoried bomb and was taken off the board, if he'd had one point left he would have had a nice range 1 shot at Nym. At this point Nym was out of bombs and Ketsu finished him off by tractoring him into a place where he had no choice but to fly off the board. 

Some lucky crits really helped. After thinking about the match I think taking miranda out as quickly as possible is part of the key to beating this list, she is too good late game to leave alone. Range control is key. Against an opponent ho has flown this list more than once I'm sure ill present more problems. 

I'm not sure we had the whole genius/trajectory simulator/extra munitions figured correctly. If he launches a bomb after his move does that mean he spends the EM token for the bomb and the bomb card for genius?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mightybeard13 said:

I'm not sure we had the whole genius/trajectory simulator/extra munitions figured correctly. If he launches a bomb after his move does that mean he spends the EM token for the bomb and the bomb card for genius?

“After you reveal and execute a maneuver, if you did not overlap a ship, you may discard 1 of your equipped [bomb] Upgrade cards without the “action:” header to drop the corresponding bomb token.”

That's from the FAQ. You spend your EM token if available and that gives you a bomb to drop (or launch, unfortunately). No need to spend both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wurms said:

Block her escape routes with your ships and try and get some range 1 shots on her like all swarms.

Aiming for range 1 is often a bad call for Miranda - assuming she's doing a speed 2 or speed 3 move (which a K-wing generally does if not forced to otherwise), then if you park at range 1, a SLAM will usually dodge your arc of fire entirely, sometimes (especially a speed 3 SLAM) clearing right over your head and allowing her to rain cluster mines on you if she's packing experimental interface.

Creating a range 2 'firing line' seems to have a better chance in my experience - a heavy swarm has the firepower to kill her if it catches her in arc of 4+ ships, but unlike a bigger, 'proper' swarm you can't reliably block off all her escape routes - at speed 3 she can hop over range 1 attackers and at speed 2 she has no less than 5 possible end spots.

Range 3 really doesn't work - with a range bonus for her and not for you, you tend to come off  worse in the engagement (and that goes double if there's a second turret on your flank).

The problem with this squad is that trying to create a firing line at range 2 in front of Miranda is essentially putting the bulk of my combat power exactly where Nym and Miranda want it - both in harpoon arc of fire and the blast radius of a launched bomb.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and propose a Fenn Rau (king of shutting down alphas) with wookiees list ... I've discussed my own play testing here

If I were teching purely against NymRanda, I'd be putting breach specialist on my wookiees... **** - Stress wookiees seems like a really good way to beat this list out with it's high hull, breach spec to mitigate the worst impact of proton bombs and tactician to put the ships into stress **** so that the wookiees can go to town.

The current variant I am thinking of taking to regionals next weekend is below ... though I am thinking of trading Expertise/Breach on Lowhhrick for Predator/Rey.  I think this has game as it blunts the alpha via Fenn/Lowhhrick (or allows you to activate Wulfwarro's ability should they get natural hits)

It has the hull to cope with Proton bombs, and both ships can move faster than you think with 5 straight ... albeit red.

Wullffwarro (30)
Selflessness (1)Maul (3)Ezra Bridger (3)

Lowhhrick (28)
Expertise (4)Breach Specialist (1)C-3PO (3)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1); ;Hotshot Co-pilot (4)Flight-Assist Astromech (1)

Total: 99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flooze said:

“After you reveal and execute a maneuver, if you did not overlap a ship, you may discard 1 of your equipped [bomb] Upgrade cards without the “action:” header to drop the corresponding bomb token.”

That's from the FAQ. You spend your EM token if available and that gives you a bomb to drop (or launch, unfortunately). No need to spend both.

Thanks, we didn't actually have the card, we just went from memory of the text but that makes a lot more sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple TIE/D defenders just dumpstered it in stream from the Valencia regional. Wonder if 2xion cannons and a tractor cannon have enough game against the other lists to make it through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dreadai said:

Triple TIE/D defenders just dumpstered it in stream from the Valencia regional. Wonder if 2xion cannons and a tractor cannon have enough game against the other lists to make it through. 

I would’ve thought that Quickdraw and Harpoon Gunboats would shred them. I thought that match was over after that first proton bomb went off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...