Sign in to follow this  
JediRush24

Quickdraw + Gunboats, a different take (maybe)

Was thinking of different ways to do the three gunboats and Quickdraw, came up with this idea .. I know it doesn't hit as hard, but could it be fun?

Thin QD plus cannons(100/100)

Alpha-class Star Wing: Nu Squadron Pilot (18 + 4)
    + Xg-1 Assault Configuration (1)
    + Flechette Cannon (2)
    + Tractor Beam (1)
Alpha-class Star Wing: Nu Squadron Pilot (18 + 5)
    + Ion Cannon (3)
    + Tractor Beam (1)
Alpha-class Star Wing: Nu Squadron Pilot (18 + 5)
    + Tractor Beam (1)
    + Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/SF Fighter: Quickdraw (29 + 3)
    + Veteran Instincts (1)
    + Collision Detector (0)
    + Primed Thrusters (1)
    + Special Ops Training (0)
    + Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Looks like a fun control type of list. Although I think you can tweak it a bit to improve its effectiveness. How about this suggestion?

(100)

•"Quickdraw" (31) - TIE/SF Fighter
Adaptability (0), Collision Detector (0), Primed Thrusters (1), Special Ops Training (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Nu Squadron Veteran (24) - Alpha-class Star Wing
XG-1 Assault Configuration (1), Long-Range Scanners (0), Ion Cannon (3), Linked Battery (2)

Nu Squadron Veteran (24) - Alpha-class Star Wing
XG-1 Assault Configuration (1), Long-Range Scanners (0), Ion Cannon (3), Linked Battery (2)

Nu Squadron Veteran (21) - Alpha-class Star Wing
XG-1 Assault Configuration (1), Flechette Cannon (2)

Linked batteries and long range scanners make your ion cannons more accurate and dangerous. I would like to have the points for another linked battery on the flechette cannon nu but there is no more points.  Also no long range scanners on the flechette cannon nu because he needs to be able to target lock at close range because he doesn’t have linked batteries. 

I don't dislike the control Nus, but I'm not sure I think it's worth going for a cheap Quickdraw.  Fire Control System and Lightweight Frame are very, very good.  I'd love to fit Advanced Optics on there, but there's no realistic way it could fit.  Perhaps cutting down the number of cannons, since you can only fire one a turn anyhow.  This still has at least one of each kind of cannon, and each ship has something it can fire when it SLAMs.

Nu, XG-1, Flechette, LRS (21)

Nu, XG-1, Flechette, Tractor Beam, LRS (22)

Nu, XG-1, Ion Cannon, Tractor Beam, LRS (23)

Quickdraw, VI, FCS, SOT title, LWF (34)

Edited by theBitterFig

Hmm that does look better .. I was concerned about the thin Quickdraw as well. 

Edit .. and if I swap vi for adaptability, I can get a third tractor beam in there ... 

Edited by JediRush24

5 hours ago, JediRush24 said:

Hmm that does look better .. I was concerned about the thin Quickdraw as well. 

Edit .. and if I swap vi for adaptability, I can get a third tractor beam in there ... 

The asymmetry of having one Flechette Nu with and one Flechette Nu without a tractor beam does bug me, but I don't know if it bugs me enough to give up VI. :lol:

Alternately, having one of those Tractors become a Jamming Beam.  I think Jamming is possibly not bad.  Unlike with Tractors, where they're of lower value at low PS, there's a benefit in that you could deny someone an effective action next round by Jamming their next token.  I feel like that's possibly an underrated benefit of Jamming Beam.  A focus token is often worth at least a damage dealt or damage prevented, so Jamming a focus away preventing the damage the focus could deal, or dealing the damage the focus prevents, so it isn't exactly a no-damage attack.  That range 2 limit, though, is unfortunate.  I'm just rambling at this point...

I would echo the thought that this doesn't look like it can really deal enough damage. I would rather ditch one of the Nus to make 3 much stronger ships. Perhaps this?

QD

FCS

LWF

Title

Expertise

Pattern Analyzer

2x Nu

XG-1

HLC

Jamming Beam

Adv. SLAM

Those Nus either hit really hard, or if they have to SLAM, can Jam, weakening the opponent for next turn, always getting an action. QD is of course QD. Hella strong.