Sign in to follow this  
Undeadguy

Sato and Wide-Area Barrage

Sato will be given new life with Wave 7. Both variants of the MC75 will excel at delivering huge bursts of damage to their target all while cruising at speed 3. I've previously stated Sato is not designed for long range crit effects, but with WAB, that changes. I've designed a long range and close range WAB MC75 that will wipe flotillas and squadrons off the board.

Long Range

MC75 Armored Cruiser (104)
• Commander Sato (32)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
• Leading Shots (4)
• H9 Turbolasers (8)
= 168 Points

The long range MC75 is built to deal light AOE damage to the enemy fleet. Attacking out of the side at long results in a rainbow - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 black. Ideally, you will have a CF and benefit from Raymus by adding another black die. Here is the die pool modification order:

1. Roll attack pool.
  2. Add black die from CF dial.
  3. Reroll red die with CF token if it is blank.
    1. Reroll a black die if the red die is not a blank.
  4. Use H9 on the red die to generate an Acc.
    1. Use H9 on the blue die if you have a double hit on the red.
  5. OE black dice if you do not have a crit, or have any blanks.
  6. LS the black dice if you do not have a crit, or have any blanks.
    1. LS the red die as well if it came up blank after the CF token reroll.
    2. Use H9 on the red die.
  7. Outcome: 3-4 damage with an Acc. 1 free WAB damage.

This attack order should guarantee at least 1 black crit and 1 black hit, as well as an Acc to prevent Evades or Braces. It's a low expected damage, about 4, to the primary target, but the real benefit is the 1 free damage hitting something at close range, like Ciena, Valen, or Jan. It's not as effective against flotillas, since they can pick a hull zone 4 times before suffering any hull damage. The MC75 should be attacking the largest ship because the foot print vastly increases the close range area, and because large ships don't have Evades. You should try to kill large ships for the points, so it's a win-win.

Once you get into medium range, you can start throwing 3 blacks, 2 blue, and 1 red out of the side.

1. Roll attack pool.
    1. Reroll a black die if the red is not blank.
  4. Use H9 on a blue or red die.
    1. Use blue if the red is a double.
    2. Use red if you already have a blue Acc.
    3. Don't use if you only need 1 Acc.
  5. OE the black dice if you do not have a crit, or have any blanks.
    1. LS the red die as well if it is blank after the CF token reroll.
  7. Outcome: 6-8 damage with an ACC. 2 free WAB damage.

Pros:

• You force your opponents squads to move away from the carrier, else they risk taking damage.
  • Multiple reroll options means you should have very consistent dice rolls.
  • You can support your squadrons by attacking ships and dealing damage to squadrons.
  • The ship is even stronger at medium range.
  • 3 squad command to push A-wings on target AND attack.
  • My math is only for the side arc. You have the front arc to rinse and repeat.

Cons:

• Reliant on CF commands. Best take Leia on a flotilla for dial manipulation.
  • Low burst damage at long range. 
  • Not effective at killing flotillas at long range.
  • Ackbar will win at medium and long range. You must get into close range.

Short Range

MC75 Ordnance Cruiser (100)
• Commander Sato (32)
• Major Derlin (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
= 155 Points

The short range MC75 is meant to take multiple targets out per round. From flotillas to squadrons to small ships, this MC75 does not discriminate. This is your last/first type of ship that puts out more damage than Admonition or Demo, while tanking any damage returned.

Since this ship is very aggressive, Navs are more important than CF. Keeping your arcs on target will generate more damage than the additional black die. Your front arc can drop 7 black dice, and the side adds another 4. The attack order is pretty simple:

1. Roll attack pool.
  2. Add ER.
  3. OE all blanks.
    1. OE half the hits if there are no crits.
  4. Front arc outcome: 10 damage on average. 4 WAB damage. (I rolled 7 black dice with OE and 10 damage occurred 5/10 times. The lowest was 7 damage.)
  5. Side arc out come (no ER): 5.5 damage. 2 WAB damage. 

You just killed Valen, Ciena, Jan, Biggs, a flotilla, or heavily damaged Yavaris, Admo, or Demo. AND you dealt 16 damage to your primary target. This ship is ridiculous. And with ECM and Derlin, you can sit in front of an ISD and take the damage - minus BTA.

Pros:

• Insane amount of burst damage. Expect to deal 16 on a double arc, with an additional 6 from WAB.
  • You are removing 2-3 enemy targets per round.
  • Defensive upgrades ensures it's survival.
  • You can still take Admonition with WAB and have double the fun!
  • 155 points is cheap for a flagship with this kind of damage potential. 

Cons:

• Once ER is spent, damage output drops by about 3, which reduces WAB by 1.
  • No Acc generation.
  • Not effective at long range.
  • Not effective against flotillas.
  • Only 1 source of rerolls.

With both builds, it's important to remember black crit generation is crucial, followed by hits. You're not really looking for max damage with the aggressive rerolls, but rather triggering WAB every time you attack. At 2 points, I expect WAB to be the new staple Ordnance upgrade. I've demonstrated how effective it can be, and I think it surpasses any build with APT or ACM, because WAB can generate free, unpreventable damage. Perfect for taking out squadrons and flotillas.

For reference:

mc75-armored-cruiser.pngmc75-ordnance-cruiser.pngcommander-sato.pngwide-area-barrage.png

1 minute ago, Truthiness said:

By the way, Undeadguy, it's nice having you back. Don't you dare leave us again.

What can I say, I wasn't expecting such a cool upgrade. But I do expect my presence to be significantly lower after Wave 7 because Legion will be dropping near the same time.

This is really well thought out! I like the build, and I think the MC75 is the bruiser that Sato has been waiting for. 

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:
  1. Roll attack pool.
    1. Reroll a black die if the red die is not a blank.
  4. Use H9 on the red die to generate an Acc.
    1. Use H9 on the blue die if you have a double hit on the red.
  5. OE black dice if you do not have a crit, or have any blanks.
    1. LS the red die as well if it came up blank after the CF token reroll.
    2. Use H9 on the red die.
  7. Outcome: 3-4 damage with an Acc. 1 free WAB damage.

I love dice manipulation in this game, and this build does it wonderfully! Your subpoint to 3 (Reroll a black die if the red die is not a blank) might be better suited as a subpoint following 5. Since OE is "free" manipulation, you can save your CF token to see if you really need it after the OE roll. While we do have Raymus generating a new token each CF dial, having a chance for the token to carry over gives you one more manipulation option on following turns where Leia may have had to intervene and change our dial.

Really fun stuff. I definitely want to try a build centered around this!

My problem is the 155 and 168 costs of these ships, or 123 and 136 without the admiral. Sooooooooooooo expensive, especially for an Admiral that wants as many chances to change dice as possible. I suppose I could say similar about Ackbar, but the Home One abomination exists.

3 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

What can I say, I wasn't expecting such a cool upgrade. But I do expect my presence to be significantly lower after Wave 7 because Legion will be dropping near the same time.

I'll be trying to balance my time between the two games as well. Honestly, it will probably do me some good to take breaks. I used to bounce back and forth between Fantasy and 40k, which kept my enthusiasm for both high. I've been started to feel burn out with Armada, so having Legion to mix in will help me I think.

Edited by Truthiness

3 hours ago, Astrodar said:

This is really well thought out! I like the build, and I think the MC75 is the bruiser that Sato has been waiting for. 

I love dice manipulation in this game, and this build does it wonderfully! Your subpoint to 3 (Reroll a black die if the red die is not a blank) might be better suited as a subpoint following 5. Since OE is "free" manipulation, you can save your CF token to see if you really need it after the OE roll. While we do have Raymus generating a new token each CF dial, having a chance for the token to carry over gives you one more manipulation option on following turns where Leia may have had to intervene and change our dial.

Really fun stuff. I definitely want to try a build centered around this!

When you resolve a CF dial and token, you must do them "at the same time". You can't use the dial, OE, and then use the token. You end up resolving the same command twice if you do that, or if you spend both and don't use the token, you have effectively opted not to use it since you must resolve its effect immediately. 

That's why the dice manipulation is so specific. With 3 different ways to reroll and change dice, I decided to spell out the exact method to almost guarantee the same results every time with the long range MC75.  

2 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

My problem is the 155 and 168 costs of these ships, or 123 and 136 without the admiral. Sooooooooooooo expensive, especially for an Admiral that wants as many chances to change dice as possible. I suppose I could say similar about Ackbar, but the Home One abomination exists.

Yea the long range version is very expensive but I think it's a good alternative from the regular Ackbar80. I don't think it will be competitive right now based on the current spoils, but the close range will be. 16 damage on a double arc is well worth the cost IMO, plus the 6 free damage from WAB. You could take IO instead of Derlin, and that means you can remove Braces. This is my current fleet I've been thinking about.

Name: Sato Close Range WAB
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Commander Sato

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation: Solar Corona

• Commander Sato (32)
• Major Derlin (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
= 155 Points

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Lando Carissian (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
• H9 Turbolasers (8)
• Admonition (8)
= 94 Points

GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24)
• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 29 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• 4 x A-wing Squadron (44)
= 77 Points

Total Points: 390

It's certainly better to run APT on Admo, but I think WAB will be fun to play with.

51 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

When you resolve a CF dial and token, you must do them "at the same time". You can't use the dial, OE, and then use the token. You end up resolving the same command twice if you do that, or if you spend both and don't use the token, you have effectively opted not to use it since you must resolve its effect immediately. 

That's why the dice manipulation is so specific. With 3 different ways to reroll and change dice, I decided to spell out the exact method to almost guarantee the same results every time with the long range MC75.  

You are exactly right. When writing that I somehow ignored the fact that you were spending a CF dial (which is where the token came from in the first place :wacko: ). Oops!

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

Yea the long range version is very expensive but I think it's a good alternative from the regular Ackbar80. I don't think it will be competitive right now based on the current spoils, but the close range will be. 16 damage on a double arc is well worth the cost IMO, plus the 6 free damage from WAB. You could take IO instead of Derlin, and that means you can remove Braces. This is my current fleet I've been thinking about.

Name: Sato Close Range WAB
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Commander Sato

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation: Solar Corona

• Commander Sato (32)
• Major Derlin (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
= 155 Points

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Lando Carissian (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
• Wide-Area Barrage (2)
• H9 Turbolasers (8)
• Admonition (8)
= 94 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 29 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• 4 x A-wing Squadron (44)
= 77 Points

Total Points: 390

It's certainly better to run APT on Admo, but I think WAB will be fun to play with.

I feel like you can save alot more points by keeping the GR-75s as unarmed and put those points elsewhere. Maybe upgrade 2 A-Wings to YT-2400s.

1 minute ago, TallGiraffe said:

I feel like you can save alot more points by keeping the GR-75s as unarmed and put those points elsewhere. Maybe upgrade 2 A-Wings to YT-2400s.

Certainly, but that leaves me with 2 combat ships. While both are extremely powerful, they need squadrons to function. The combat GR-75 have blue AA which is needed to take care of squadrons, on top of what WAB can already do. @Ginkapo talked extensively about this several weeks ago with his Wave 6 Sato list.

The idea for this fleet is to run the A-Wings tight to the MC75 and overlap the GR-75s AA to discourage an alpha on the squads. Once the MC75 is in close range, you bring the A-Wings into the front arc of the MC75 and as tight to the target as possible. This means your opponent has to engage the squadrons at close range, or what I'm calling the WAB Ring of Death, or sit out of the fight. If your opponent decides to engage your A-Wings, WAB can start to remove squadrons in combination with Counter and the flotillas. Or the flotillas can throw 2 black dice. It's all about controlling your opponents squadrons, so yours can attack ships and trigger Sato.

It also promotes the concept of active flotillas, which I think a lot of people would appreciate. 

I think a 2+3 version of this would be pretty strong too. Drop a ton of upgrades and add 1 18 pt transport? 

A decent squadrons player will stay out of your long range so you cant even do WAB from out of his squadron attack range. Which.. makes this pretty difficult to win with no? Cuz WAB is gonna be damage over time. Not spike alpha. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

3 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

If only I had another flotilla to add her to. But then I'd be one of the cool kids doing the 2+3.

You could shave the points from the mc30 fairly easily.... Maybe enough to upgrade a flotilla into Satovision or dodonnas pride

Just now, Ginkapo said:

You could shave the points from the mc30 fairly easily.... Maybe enough to upgrade a flotilla into Satovision or dodonnas pride

Dropping Derlin and Leia's Comm Net would let me grab a naked GR-75 which Toryn and BH would move over to. Salvation would also be another good option for this fleet.

3 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I think a 2+3 version of this would be pretty strong too. Drop a ton of upgrades and add 1 18 pt transport? 

A decent squadrons player will stay out of your long range so you cant even do WAB from out of his squadron attack range. Which.. makes this pretty difficult to win with no? Cuz WAB is gonna be damage over time. Not spike alpha. 

If they stay out of long how will they deal any damage? You have to engage at some point. 

The long range MC75 is meant to break up your opponents fleet or risk AOE damage. If they split up, you can jump to speed 3 and close into medium range. The MC75 has enough shields and hull to take a round of bombing, which should be enough for you to take out the carriers, while your squadrons engage. 

It's still all theory right now since I obviously can't play the ship. But in my experience, squads tend to stay close to their carriers, until they jump to engage. Venturing into medium risks getting jumped yourself. And in the case of Jendon Relay, just circle around the fighters and attack them. I think the long range MC75 will be most effective at threatening Yavaris B-Wings because of how slow and stationary they are.

I think the close range MC75 is a much better option anyway. Can't argue with all those black dice.

I'm planning on running this tomorrow. Maybe I'll even remember to trigger Derlin. 

Sato rides again (393/400)
=========================
MC75 Ordnance Cruiser (100 + 55)
    + Commander Sato (32)
    + Major Derlin (7)
    + Ordnance Experts (4)
    + Electronic Countermeasures (7)
    + External Racks (3)
    + Wide-Area Barrage (2)
MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 + 26)
    + Lando Calrissian (4)
    + Ordnance Experts (4)
    + Wide-Area Barrage (2)
    + H9 Turbolasers (8)
    + Admonition (8)
GR-75 Medium Transports (18 + 9)
    + Toryn Farr (7)
    + Bright Hope (2)
GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24 + 2)
    + Comms Net (2)
GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24 + 2)
    + Comms Net (2)
Tycho Celchu (16)
2 x VCX-100 Freighter (15)
2 x HWK-290 (12)
Opening Salvo
Fire Lanes
Sensor Net

2 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

If they stay out of long how will they deal any damage? You have to engage at some point. 

The long range MC75 is meant to break up your opponents fleet or risk AOE damage. If they split up, you can jump to speed 3 and close into medium range. The MC75 has enough shields and hull to take a round of bombing, which should be enough for you to take out the carriers, while your squadrons engage. 

It's still all theory right now since I obviously can't play the ship. But in my experience, squads tend to stay close to their carriers, until they jump to engage. Venturing into medium risks getting jumped yourself. And in the case of Jendon Relay, just circle around the fighters and attack them. I think the long range MC75 will be most effective at threatening Yavaris B-Wings because of how slow and stationary they are.

I think the close range MC75 is a much better option anyway. Can't argue with all those black dice.

JJ one shot Shara with a close range front arc shot that included ER. 7 black dice man. I think Sato might finally be legit.