Sign in to follow this  
Veve7

New Cycles speculations

Here is a topic for new Cycles speculations,especially for new investigators.What do you think they will be(names,classes,stats,abilities,cards,restrictions etc.)?

Less than actual predictions all I can think/wish for is stuff that the game kinda needs at the moment.

The game needs some more variety and power in neutral cards, XP upgrades that give you a few more options for trying to pull your weight doing some out-of-faction stuff (Seeker fighting, Guardian/Rouge investigating) or neutral options for a variety of characters to lean into a role (Neutral XP weapons, Upgrades to flashlight?)

So, I guess im hoping for some kinda:

A 1 or 2 XP, .42 pistol that overwrites base Strength. A weapon with (low) ammo that might help characters like Rex or Wendy deal with a couple 2hp foes.

Gear that specifically buffs you for Treachery card effects, survival gear clothing that costs some XP that has HP and can be discarded to prevent treacheries.

Upgraded flashlights that have an enhanced effect. For obvious universal investigator benefit.

Oh, I CAN make one prediction.

Norman Withers is a seeker who cannot upgrade seeker cards but upgrades Mystic cards instead.

Because this mechanic Exists I predict that there will be a 4-fight Rouge Gangster who does exactly the same with Guardian cards.

13 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

I don't think there should be a neutral weapon that makes non-fighters able to fight. Neutrals shouldn't be catch-all cards to do stuff. It is better that each faction has their own stuff.

Flashlight is a catch-all card that lets non-cluehunters contribute a couple clues per scenario. With a dedicated enough build even characters like Zoey can deliver half a dozen clues in a scenario. Why wouldn't there be a card that lets cluehunters do the same. 

I'm not saying I want to have folks like Rex or Daisy closing out campaigns via raw strength, but i'dd love to see a combat equivalent to Flashlight that's more reliable than Knife. Even if it's a 1 or 2 XP gun with just 2 ammo or something. A weapon that is inefficient for the XP cost but lets you break your character mould a little.

It'd also lend a little extra power to Neutral Investigators, current and future :)

Edited by tsuruki

I think the danger, with the neutral weapon, is where do you balance it?  If it's better than a guardian or rogue weapon that class becomes less viable, if its worse who would use it?  For example, would you take a say .38 revolver that cost 4 to play 3 xp has 3 uses and is fight +1 and damage +1?  IMO this weapon is not worth 3 experience to anyone, simply because they have better options in their main class or off class, so where do you draw the line, just MO but I would guess that's why it doesn't exist already.

If it's a bit worse than class-specific weapons (but not too much), it can see use with investigators who don't have access to those class-specific weapons. Or it could find a niche: Yorick can get quite a lot of use out of a knife, for instance.

The way I envisaged it was a weapon with little ammo that replaces base stats.

2xp. 2 Resources.

2 Fight icons.

2 Ammo.

1 ammo -> Fight with a base value of 4. +1 Damage. 

A low intensity card. Since it overwrites base strength to 4 it doesn't interest characters that already have fighting as a class identity and since it has only 2 Ammo it wont let a non-fighter go around acting like one. What it does is to allow non-fighters to cover themselves against low health enemies, even if the uses are limited. It's cheap and has 2 fight icons, again useful in a pinch to kill some rats, basic cultists, ETC.

I haven't playtested it so perhaps it might be worth 1 less/more Resource or XP.

Other classes have ways of fighting already. Survivors have several decent weapons, Mystics have spells, and Seekers have other ways of fighting like with "I have a plan" or Strange Solution. Not every class should just be able to fight like that.  

And putting base fight value at 4 is basically what the Knife does already, just with one less use for one less cost, and the benefit of reusable for just the combat boost.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:15 PM, tsuruki said:

Oh, I CAN make one prediction.

Norman Withers is a seeker who cannot upgrade seeker cards but upgrades Mystic cards instead.

Because this mechanic Exists I predict that there will be a 4-fight Rouge Gangster who does exactly the same with Guardian cards.

Yes, I'm looking forward to a whole suite of characters like this. A Guardian who grows up into a Survivor, a Mystic who becomes a Rogue, and so on.

On 16-1-2018 at 3:00 AM, tsuruki said:

Flashlight is a catch-all card that lets non-cluehunters contribute a couple clues per scenario. With a dedicated enough build even characters like Zoey can deliver half a dozen clues in a scenario. Why wouldn't there be a card that lets cluehunters do the same. 

Probably because gathering clues is essential to the game, while fighting can be avoided if needed and you could still complete the scenario.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, tsuruki said:

Daisy has her Mystic spells and Rex has his off-color slots. Both get "I've Got a Plan!" and, eventually, Acidic Ichor. 

56 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

Daisy has her Mystic spells and Rex has his off-color slots. Both get "I've Got a Plan!" and, eventually, Acidic Ichor. 

Yep, and Survivors and Rogues both have access to weapons. Admittedly the Rogue weapons aren’t great until you get to the XP cards, but Skids has access to Guardian, Jenny has her signature card, and Sefine can take Shrivelling. I’m not sure what problem you’re trying to address?