Sign in to follow this  
00Ripley00

should i buy

Hello guys

Im an avid boardgame player and seems like Arkham Horror is the most popular just wondering if i should invest in the main game and all expansions

And any advice would be great about the game in general

Thanks

Ripley...

All things considered, this'd be an odd place to come to ask people if you should buy the game. What would they give you as a reasoning to NOT buy it? ;)

If you can handle complicated board games that can take several hours and are a fan of dark/horror/science fiction themes and don't have a problem with a board game being cooperative instead of competitive, yeah, you'll probably get something out of this. You'd probably be best off to just get the base game and see if you find that enjoyable before investing in a lot of expansions, though.

Welcome!

Rovin's got very good points. But assuming that you do get the base game and decide you enjoy it...

My suggestion for you is to buy all the expansions, but use none of them. The game is at its simplest (complexity of rules) and easiest (difficulty to win) with no expansions. Play through it a few times, then one by one start playing the game with only one expansion mixed in (removing all others). I recommend trying the small-box expansions before playing the big boxes. However, the big boxes all have various elements that are universally compatible, such as extra investigators, AOs, features (injury/madness cards, epic battle deck, personal story cards).

Playing each expansion on its own allows you to appreciate what each expansion offers, and how each differs from the base game and other expansions.  After you've tried each expansion a couple times on its own, you'll be able to decide whether you'd like to play with all expansions at once, or a random combination, or with a specific limitation (e.g. only one big- and small-box in at one time is a very popular play style).

Of course, I'm biased: I like all the expansions for various different reasons. Some players don't like aspects of certain expansions, and some avoid entire expansions altogether. To answer all your questions regarding expansion specifics:

The Complete Arkham Horror

and

Arkham Horror Review

The first link is a lot more concise than the second. But both have polls showing how much the fans like each expansion, how "essential" each is and how well they work with other expansions, which elements are favored, etc.

Ripley... said:

Hello guys

Im an avid boardgame player and seems like Arkham Horror is the most popular just wondering if i should invest in the main game and all expansions

And any advice would be great about the game in general

Thanks

Ripley...

Have you ever seen it played before?

Also, keep in mind it's a cooperative board game for one to eight players (personally I like it at 1-5).

The rules can be a bit complex at first, so you need to be willing to sit down and learn them (it's no more complicated than Magic the Gathering though— and there are far less combinations of potential events).

If you like horror themed stories you'll probably like Arkham.

And keep in mind ;') you're asking a bunch of Arkham junkies if you should buy a copy.

My take, I bought recently, have enjoyed solo games enought to buy expansions on sale for when I get to needing them.

Introduced 3 RPGer friends to it last night (one an avid board-gamer) and all liked it.  Play was slow early in evening but picking up pace as we went along.

Yes, has fiddly bits and takes a bit of learning.  Coming from traditional RPG background - hah, walk in the park!  The fiddly bits are also its moving parts that keep it interesting, combine in different ways to give you different experiences game to game.

I like it for the immersive experience it gives if you convert events into story.  That lecherous newspaper editor gives Amanda a retainer but after a couple of days of seeing the student is playing it straight cancels it, she goes back to take it up with him and embarassed in front of his wife he renews it.  Combined with strategy - okay I'll deal with rumour, I'll keep streets clean, we'll scoop clues and get ready to go gate sealing. and Fortune/Luck (Oh I can handle this, 9 dice and only need 2 successes - oh crap, to the hospital for me)

Rob

Tibs said:

Welcome!

Rovin's got very good points. But assuming that you do get the base game and decide you enjoy it...

My suggestion for you is to buy all the expansions, but use none of them. The game is at its simplest (complexity of rules) and easiest (difficulty to win) with no expansions. Play through it a few times, then one by one start playing the game with only one expansion mixed in (removing all others). I recommend trying the small-box expansions before playing the big boxes. However, the big boxes all have various elements that are universally compatible, such as extra investigators, AOs, features (injury/madness cards, epic battle deck, personal story cards).

Playing each expansion on its own allows you to appreciate what each expansion offers, and how each differs from the base game and other expansions.  After you've tried each expansion a couple times on its own, you'll be able to decide whether you'd like to play with all expansions at once, or a random combination, or with a specific limitation (e.g. only one big- and small-box in at one time is a very popular play style).

Of course, I'm biased: I like all the expansions for various different reasons. Some players don't like aspects of certain expansions, and some avoid entire expansions altogether. To answer all your questions regarding expansion specifics:

The Complete Arkham Horror

and

Arkham Horror Review

The first link is a lot more concise than the second. But both have polls showing how much the fans like each expansion, how "essential" each is and how well they work with other expansions, which elements are favored, etc.

I pay the "good point" compliment back to Tibs in that, as a fairly new player to this game myself, I'm basically doing what he recommends and playing through one expansion per game to get a feel for it after having had a few sessions with the base game. I read the rulebooks to the expansions after I'd gotten them, and between what I'd gleaned from those and perusing the contributions in this forum I sort of got a feel for which of the Universal expansion modifications were really good for the overall game (examples would include Insanity and Injury cards and the Epic Battle cards). 

If you're looking at getting into this game but are maybe at a financial point where you don't want to a lot of money at the moment purchasing the base game AND all the expansions, It might be a good idea to look through the game and expansion rulebooks and see what expansions - and elements from expansions - really appeal to you and focus on picking those expansions up first. Fantasy Flight has supplied PDFs of the game and expansion rulebooks here: javascript:void(0);/*1267737377241*/