TheShard

Crafting a unique saber

So I'm looking for ideas for unique mechanics for my charecters saber. 

The idea is he is a lorefinder and the design is based off of a weird ancient design, or takes elements from some bizarre ancient design.

Now there is various weapon qualities it could have, however some weapons or mods have talents that come with it. I'm not necessarily trying to squeeze the max dmg out of it but it should be fairly useful in combat. Most of all it should be odd and the combat style should reflect that... I'm leaving towards something pikey or double but has to be different then others.

Edited by TheShard

I was just throwing in an idea, but essentially you can get whatever your sould desires (within reasonable boundries).

if we take whip-sword as an exapmle (you just google the appropriate picture):

- it is difficult to craft - I'd require the PC to find a skilled weaponmaster on an appropriate world for a custom order like this. It would also take some time to produce (maybe also specific materials to be provided to the weaponmaster). I would rule that the base price would be around 2-3k + appropriate rarity modifiers depending on circumstances. Pricing would require some further consideration of course.

- it would definitely have the ensnare quality, but perhaps also sunder, vicious, pierce and/or cortosis - as the case may be. if the whip option is not activated it ca be used as a normal sword an have a defensive quality as well.

- also, it could be worn like a belt giving advantage in case you would want to hide it or secretely wear it past security.

again, this is just an example - everything is possible subject to your discussion with a GM :)))

a cane sword? a chainsaw-sword? a gun-sword? just name it :))))

26 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

One of the books has a light whip if I remember correctly, can't use any crystal upgrades though

Yeah, it's basically the whip thingy the slavers used in Clone Wars. 

Take nearly any weapon from Earth's history (and there are a great many) and replace the striking area with a lightsaber and presto! Lightsaber nunchaku, lightsaber Dane axes, lightsaber hunga-mungas, etc. etc. Fairly quickly, the exercise becomes rather silly as the unusual designs are not compatible with the essence of the lightsaber: the blade is straight and omni-directional; it requires an energy source and rare focusing crystal; because the blade is massless, it moves quickly from attack to defense and back again; the blade's speed and unique properties allow it to block and reflect blaster fire; and finally, the blade can cut through most materials, causing damage in excess of what you would expect from a handheld weapon.

If you want a design from antiquity, you might consider the beltpack power source of the first lightsabers, where the handgrip connected to the power source via a cord. I'd probably leave it mechanically identical to a standard saber, maybe with Cumbersome 2 to represent the weight of the (bulky) power source and awkward cord.

I've also always liked the idea of a sort of shikomizue/shirasaya mount, with the mechanism hidden in a cane/walking stick/swagger stick/club. The Dark Times comic had the Veknoid Jedi Master Zao using a sabercane, and I think one or two others did as well.

17 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Take nearly any weapon from Earth's history (and there are a great many) and replace the striking area with a lightsaber and presto! Lightsaber nunchaku, lightsaber Dane axes, lightsaber hunga-mungas, etc. etc. Fairly quickly, the exercise becomes rather silly as the unusual designs are not compatible with the essence of the lightsaber: the blade is straight and omni-directional; it requires an energy source and rare focusing crystal; because the blade is massless, it moves quickly from attack to defense and back again; the blade's speed and unique properties allow it to block and reflect blaster fire; and finally, the blade can cut through most materials, causing damage in excess of what you would expect from a handheld weapon.

If you want a design from antiquity, you might consider the beltpack power source of the first lightsabers, where the handgrip connected to the power source via a cord. I'd probably leave it mechanically identical to a standard saber, maybe with Cumbersome 2 to represent the weight of the (bulky) power source and awkward cord.

I've also always liked the idea of a sort of shikomizue/shirasaya mount, with the mechanism hidden in a cane/walking stick/swagger stick/club. The Dark Times comic had the Veknoid Jedi Master Zao using a sabercane, and I think one or two others did as well.

Well that's why I'm trying to start from the perspective of the saber itself rather than basing it off the a real world weapon.

What would an advanced weapon master make in the golden era of the force?

9 hours ago, TheShard said:

Well that's why I'm trying to start from the perspective of the saber itself rather than basing it off the a real world weapon.

What would an advanced weapon master make in the golden era of the force?

It's hard to argue with a standard lightsaber because it does what it does exceptionally well. 

If you're looking at an era like the KotOR/SWTOR timelines, where Jedi were engaging in a lot of combat, I'd expect something with a balanced approach to offense & defense, maybe with different archetypes (if you're employing them) developing 'sabers suited to their strengths. If you're looking at an era where the Sith were believed defeated and the Republic was (more or less) at peace, then I'd expect a 'saber optimized for dueling and sparring against fellow Jedi.

If you're looking for something really unusual, I think a weapon designed to be used only via telekinesis would be interesting. A similar concept to Darth Traya's floating 'sabers, but not meant (or even able) to be used in the hand, only through the Force.

A Saber Spear, it looks like a walking staff of some sorts but a shoto length blade extends from the top, with the Improved Saber Throw Talent from Sentry. Pike schematic, aim for the cross guard enhancement, add in reduce Crit if possible or go for defensive. If the gm approves then add the extended hilt attachment.

Crystal could be all sorts. One from the Seeker source book, or a Barrab ingot for that sweet burn action... flaming spear!

Just a note about saber construction in game.  In the Endless Vigil book, there's a construction quality you can add that combines the saber and something else.  It takes a maneuver to switch modes and the enc of each adds together.  My Sentinel is combing a blaster with his saber to make the saber more concealed by making it look and function as a common blaster at the same time.

So using the whip-sword as an example.  You could build a lightwhip and a lightsaber, combine them, and switch as needed.  I would get the dual-phase modification for thematics to represent a quick momentary swap.  Whatever other qualities it had, using the combined saber option can at least helps with the mechanics.