s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

Yeah, shading arcs/ranges would be great.  Also, being able to hide the pilot avatar views, just show the name, maybe, I don’t need to see the avatar of the opponent, the way it is now it just takes up screen real estate and has no real benefit, at least display a first player image.  placing the skip button elsewhere would be nice.  Changing the board pan sensitivity so that it matches the arrow key pan effect would be nice as well

5 hours ago, KCDodger said:

My guess is honestly that it comes down to two things.

1: Literally nobody likes Greedo.
2: Too much variance.

More the former I bet.

Greedo has the advantage of getting dcrits, but only if you are at init 6 and first player.

But who wants to be at init 6 AND first player ? no one....

•  
  • Archangelspiv
  • Members
  • 1,745 posts

Well I tried it again after a few months away... nothing has changed. Rolling 20 more red die for 2 more hits is ace!!!!

Can i ask you a few questions? did you still win? did you play a meta squad vs a generated squad or a meta squad? meaning did the AI have and ships that had bombs, or benefited from boost or barrel roll? i am not trying to be a D on here but to here people complain about a free(unless you are a patron) game. and you won but you should have won by more? i would like to discuss this, if you will.

1 hour ago, egudmunson said:

•  
  • Archangelspiv
  • Members
  • 1,745 posts

Well I tried it again after a few months away... nothing has changed. Rolling 20 more red die for 2 more hits is ace!!!!

Can i ask you a few questions? did you still win? did you play a meta squad vs a generated squad or a meta squad? meaning did the AI have and ships that had bombs, or benefited from boost or barrel roll? i am not trying to be a D on here but to here people complain about a free(unless you are a patron) game. and you won but you should have won by more? i would like to discuss this, if you will.

The majority of games I have played on Fly casual follow the same format. The AI evades crazy good for the first few rounds nullifying any approach you make, balancing out late game where it doesnt matter so much.

To your first question - Did I win? That is the first issue, it's not about winning it's about testing. I did win, but I would rather learn how to better fly my squad. I couldnt tell you how many times pilots like Kylo couldnt be as dodgy as a Rookie X Wing, force, focus and all. 

Second Question - I dont play meta, net listing is boring and unimaginative. 

I take issue with your last point, I didn't complain, I said it was the same. I stopped using the simulator because it wasn't doing what I needed it too. I came back to see how it was and it was the same. As a simulator it isn't for me. If I paid money for it, I would probably ask for a refund, but I didn't and a lot of hard work went into it so credit for doing it as a passion project.   

4 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

The majority of games I have played on Fly casual follow the same format. The AI evades crazy good for the first few rounds nullifying any approach you make, balancing out late game where it doesnt matter so much.

This is a case study in Salience Bias

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/salience-bias/

This phenomenon is not evidence that there is a glitch in the dice. The salience is more prominent in Fly Casual because you can play many games in the time it takes you to play a single game of live X-Wing. As a result bias mechanisms will often push players to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the dice.

The dice are actually completely random. Sometimes variance kneecaps even the best-laid-plans, and that burns into our memory.

25 minutes ago, markrivett said:

This is a case study in Salience Bias

This phenomenon is not evidence that there is a glitch in the dice. The salience is more prominent in Fly Casual because you can play many games in the time it takes you to play a single game of live X-Wing. As a result bias mechanisms will often push players to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the dice.

The dice are actually completely random. Sometimes variance kneecaps even the best-laid-plans, and that burns into our memory.

That doesn't mean it is not true or cannot be true. Just because something can be explained as probable heuristics or bias, does not that it is not the persons experience.  

If it was sometimes, that would be all cool. But it's not sometimes, it's all the time.

Edited by Archangelspiv

8 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

That doesn't mean it is not true or cannot be true. Just because something can be explained as probable heuristics or bias, does not that it is not the persons experience.  

What would be the best way to remediate an individual’s negative personal experience correlated to bias regarding functionality that is working correctly?

Are you asking for a “favor player” or “favor the AI” dice mode?

7 minutes ago, markrivett said:

What would be the best way to remediate an individual’s negative personal experience correlated to bias regarding functionality that is working correctly?

Are you asking for a “favor player” or “favor the AI” dice mode?

Is it working as intended? 

Nice flex but ok.... In my experience it already favours the AI early game. I guess I did get what I didn't ask for.

Edited by Archangelspiv

4 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Is it working as intended? 

Nice flex but ok.... In my experience it already favours the AI early game. I guess I did get what I didn't ask for.

The dice are completely random. Your perception that they are not is salience bias in action.

My question is how should the developers remediate your negative experience regarding this functionality?

I am not a representative of the Fly Casual development team, but I am an application developer, and I genuinely would like to know the answer to this question.

5 minutes ago, markrivett said:

The dice are completely random. Your perception that they are not is salience bias in action.

My question is how should the developers remediate your negative experience regarding this functionality?

I am not a representative of the Fly Casual development team, but I am an application developer, and I genuinely would like to know the answer to this question.

Place holder because it's late where I am and I am going to put up screen shots to show it's not just my perception.

I could have put money on it you worked in IT.

6 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Place holder because it's late where I am and I am going to put up screen shots to show it's not just my perception.

How would you suggest forum participants validate that your screen shots are not cherry picked to confirm your personal bias?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking

7 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

I could have put money on it you worked in IT.

Taken as a compliment, thank you.

There is no developer who does not have the powerful experience of a user wringing their hands about broken functionality. The developer looks into it only to discover that the functionality is working correctly and it was user error that resulted in the hand-wringing. Despite that developer’s best efforts, the user is convinced that the fault lies with the technology, and not themselves.

Contrary to popular belief, developers WANT to identify bugs within their applications and are thankful to those who find them. To give more weight to the small sample of unreasonable hand-wringers over the larger sample of quiet contents would be an exercise in salience bias.

7 minutes ago, markrivett said:

How would you suggest forum participants validate that your screen shots are not cherry picked to confirm your personal bias?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking

Taken as a compliment, thank you.

There is no developer who does not have the powerful experience of a user wringing their hands about broken functionality. The developer looks into it only to discover that the functionality is working correctly and it was user error that resulted in the hand-wringing. Despite that developer’s best efforts, the user is convinced that the fault lies with the technology, and not themselves.

Contrary to popular belief, developers WANT to identify bugs within their applications and are thankful to those who find them. To give more weight to the small sample of unreasonable hand-wringers over the larger sample of quiet contents would be an exercise in salience bias.

LOL, why did you think I meant it as an attack? A bit precious? It was a statement of my apparent bias of my job in profiling that marked you out as IT, nothing more. Maybe you have a bias on how people see IT people. 

I am going to block you now Mark, I am too tired and you are too painful for me to talk to anymore. Maybe the bias of IT people being un personable is true. 

Edited by Archangelspiv

28 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

LOL, why did you think I meant it as an attack? A bit precious? It was a statement of my apparent bias of my job in profiling that marked you out as IT, nothing more. Maybe you have a bias on how people see IT people. 

I am going to block you now Mark, I am too tired and you are too painful for me to talk to anymore. Maybe the bias of IT people being un personable is true. 

Because he's been perfectly reasonable and polite? Lol. 

1 hour ago, Sandrem said:

Serious question: Does Fly Casual need "easy mode"? Like "AI rolls blanks twice as often"?

I personally don't have issue with the dice, but maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Additionally, a mode that happens to roll more criticals could be an interesting mode as well.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

Hi I am also a software engineer. Would you like me to independently check his code to verify the dice are random? Since the code is open source I can screenshot it for anyone interested here and explain how it works. 

2 hours ago, Sandrem said:

Serious question: Does Fly Casual need "easy mode"? Like "AI rolls blanks twice as often"?

That is not a feature i would use.

i want to thank you for your hard work on this as this is my main source of playing these days.

not making a request and i am not a developer but how could you 'teach' the AI to drop bombs, boost or barrel roll? 

thanks again

2 hours ago, Sandrem said:

Serious answer: no.

You already did the right thing by having stats that cumulate over many games: my greatest cumulative variance is +6% evade dice over 1414 for the AI, so perfectly acceptable.  There is one guy in our Facebook group who's cumulative variance reached 20%, which is a bit odd, but that can happen in real life as well (and I'm not sure how often he plays).

Short of having a cheat mode that allows you to add or remove results, I can't see how to make anyone happier.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

You are blocking someone that has been exquisitely polite and trying to help?

Well, that solved the issue. You are the problem. You can't deal with the frustration of dice not going your way, and you are looking for excuses to explain why you lose or why the game doesn't go as you wish it went.

I have worked on Fly Casual's code. I have seen the dice randomization code. It randomly rotates the dice before rolling them, then they physically roll for extra randomness. There is no secret agenda, no bias towards the AI, nothing!

You aren't the first person I read complain about the dice being unfair. I have seen in in Vassal and in the other X-wing simulator that used to be around, "Squadron Benchmark".

It was always the same people that struggled dealing with frustration complaining about the dice benefiting the AI.