s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

I noticed the A.I. never uses Boost or Barrel Roll unless it's required, such as with a Tie Reaper. In addition it seems to prefer always moving as fast as possible, thus can never trigger Rebel Lando's pilot ability. It also only ever does Focus, Target Lock, and Turret Rotate actions. Which means upgrades such as Evasive, Leia (crew), an R5 droid, or an R2 droid are wasted. Is this a bug, or intended?

2 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

BUG: Failing a decloak stops the game from progressing further.

Hmm, haven't seen that before, its always just moved forward as it should with me. What ship(s)?

22 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Unkar Plutt with cloaking device.

Just tried it a couple of times and no issues with the interaction for me. Hmm. Wish I had an answer. 

On 10/19/2019 at 3:48 AM, Ikka said:

Hmm, haven't seen that before, its always just moved forward as it should with me. What ship(s)?

I have had it happen multiple times with Whisper. 

Has anyone tried the Tabletop Simulator from Steam? Thinking about trying that out.

BUG: Skipping advanced sensors still stops you from taking free actions, even though the take action step isn't skipped. So you can never link actions, or use afterburners, and so on, with that card equiped.

EDIT: Could also be a problem with the pilot Dalan Oberos (in the Starviper).

Edited by Cerebrawl

8 hours ago, Flyingbrick said:

Is it just me or has anyone had the ai run through a rock and still be able to fire without the collision detector upgrade where my ships still suffer from the penalty for this?

Is the AI on a rock or did it just move through the rock? You don't skip your attack if you just fly through the roid, you have to land on it to lose your attack.

So these dice are truly random? I’ve tracked my last 4 games. I’m no where close to being on par with rolls and the AI is a champ. Best game had AI at +8% hits and crits to my -18% and evade numbers basically the same to my disadvantage. The timing too is incredible... by green blanks line up with  unmodified red hits, and my modified hits unerringly meet more natural evades than should be. Is this truly a neutral rng?  

6 hours ago, Ikka said:

Is the AI on a rock or did it just move through the rock? You don't skip your attack if you just fly through the roid, you have to land on it to lose your attack.

Ok thinking back on it. I think the ai only missed shots if they landed on a rock as opposed to the other as you mentioned.  thank you for clearing this up for me.

I don't think the timing for Dalan Oberos with afterburners is working correctly (although my understanding of the ability queue may also be to blame).  I get the option to boost or rotate, but after I do one, I don't get the option to do the second.  I believe you should get to do both of them in either order (provided you go fast enough).  

Thanks for all your hard work on this simulator.  Youand your team are rock stars for this community.

8 hours ago, Lobokai said:

So these dice are truly random? I’ve tracked my last 4 games. I’m no where close to being on par with rolls and the AI is a champ. Best game had AI at +8% hits and crits to my -18% and evade numbers basically the same to my disadvantage. The timing too is incredible... by green blanks line up with  unmodified red hits, and my modified hits unerringly meet more natural evades than should be. Is this truly a neutral rng?  

yes it is, because it would basically be more work to create an ''uncanny'' dice variance to compete against you, that it is to just make a balance RNG XD.
Never attribute to malice what can be explained by bad luck and all that.

If that makes you feel better, the worst ''under'' i've had on my green dice was around 40% under stats after 3 round of combat. It happens. :P

10 hours ago, Lobokai said:

Don't open that can of worms, if you question too vigorously you will get told to play chess. Which I am thoroughly enjoying at the moment as an aside.  

I am playing just to keep track of results still. it's generally always the opening where you cant land hits and the AI cant roll anything but hits. One of my last games I rolled 1 evade out of 15 die, AI rolled 13 out of 24. Before people say about skewed results or heuristic bias, this is every game I have played, which is roughly 10-15. It's why I asked about Tabletop Simulator, this just isn't fun to have the same results every time no matter the list you fly.

21 hours ago, Estarriol said:

This has been answered before. Yes it is. Sometimes it might not feel like it.

Well the beauty of programs like this is that errors can appear where they were not before... so re-asking the question is a valid thing to do (and keep doing).

Feel has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I play so many games with so many dice, I instantly knew something was off... every game I have played of FC has had dramatically statically uneven dice.  Its 7 games in a row now (not games I lose, games the math is consistently creating a roughly 20% offset) .  Never has evades of hit/crits been to my favor, never has the the AI been worse than 25% better in its results, very typical that its 35%+ better.  That is so mathematically improbable that it simply points to an error.  Saying that you simply need thousands of rolls for the numbers to look right is silly... plus, I've crossed the line of 1000 deliberately watched rolls for the problem by now. 

I have no ax to grind here.  Couldn't care less if I win or lose 1 player games against an AI in my home on evenings... this isn't internal loss mitigation or "poor Timmy only see's the math as uneven when he loses".  I won't get into my profession or whatever here as its the internet and anyone can claim anything... but if I was watching someone's code create these results simply running an RNG, I'd have no doubt that there was an error and I'd tell them to go squash whatever bug it was.   That multiple people are seeing this doesn't say we're luddite poor losers,  but instead that there is something anomalous going on under the hood.  I simply desire the game to be useful for list crunching or even averaging performance.  In its current form, it its not.  These anomalies are most profound and consistent during the first couple time an AI list fires.  This isn't an opinion or a feeling, it just empirically is at this point 

In the past year I've contributed fixes for over 130 bugs in FlyCasual (you can verify this by looking at https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/pulls/bitsai, my handle there is the same as my handle here).  I don't claim to know the code nearly as well as @Sandrem, but those bug fixes have taken me all over the code base.  @Sandrem has explained before in this thread that the exact same dice rolling code is used for both human and AI players, and I have seen zero evidence to the contrary.

The entire code base is publically viewable here: https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual.  Anyone who wishes to can peruse the code and look for special dice rolling code that is only used for human or AI players (or anything else, in general, that might confer dice rolling advantage to the AI).  This is a good starting point: https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/blob/development/Assets/Scripts/Model/Board/Dice/DiceRoll.cs

Another suggestion: show screenshots of the dice stats from your games, just enough to show, say, 1000+ combined rolls.  I just played a 3-ships vs. 3-ships game that quickly reached 200+ combined rolls, so ~5 short-ish games should do the trick.  A few more games might be needed to reach 1000+ combined rolls if you just take the stats from the first couple rounds of engagement (since there are multiple claims that the anomalies are most pronounced early on).  IMHO this would be much more useful/actionable than anecdotes.

Edited by bitsai

2 hours ago, bitsai said:

Another suggestion: show screenshots of the dice stats from your games, just enough to show, say, 1000+ combined rolls.  I just played a 3-ships vs. 3-ships game that quickly reached 200+ combined rolls, so ~5 short-ish games should do the trick.  A few more games might be needed to reach 1000+ combined rolls if you just take the stats from the first couple rounds of engagement (since there are multiple claims that the anomalies are most pronounced early on).  IMHO this would be much more useful/actionable than anecdotes.

I'll give this a go, I don't really notice an issue issue with the dice, but I can contribute I guess. 

I know nothing of coding really, but does the dice roll animation generate the result, or does the result generate the animation? 

1 hour ago, Sk3tch said:

I know nothing of coding really, but does the dice roll animation generate the result, or does the result generate the animation? 

Code creates dice with random starting rotation in the air, then applies gravity. When dice stopped their movement - code checks what faces are on top.

So, animation generates the result. When code starts to roll dice - it doesn't know what dice results will be shown in the end of animation. (This is the reason why all conspiracy theories about dice results are so hilarious from my perspective)

Edited by Sandrem

I have a question regarding controls. Is there a possibility to turn ships Turing deployment? Currently they can be placed in only one orientation (up) or I am missing something. 

10 minutes ago, BoskiChe said:

I have a question regarding controls. Is there a possibility to turn ships Turing deployment? Currently they can be placed in only one orientation (up) or I am missing something. 

On a computer, there are key shortcuts.  Q and E if I remember correctly.

On a mobile device, select the ship, "hold it" with a finger and use the other one to turn clock or counter-clock wise around it to rotate.

Bug: you can't target lock non-asteroid obstacles, nothing happens when you click on them. This really hampers Qi'ra. (I did notice also that you can target lock the ship doing the target locking, that's against the rules).

Btw how do you show range with touch controls? I have Fly Casual installed on both PC and tablet, on PC I rightclick, but on tablet?

Edited by Cerebrawl