s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

Also, mines (like Proximity Mines) don't immediately detonate when placed under a single ship it seems.  It should per this ruling:

Just had an instance of having to run my Phantom over a mine I dropped that I expected to detonate and not be there.

Does heroic automatically turn 2 blanks to 2 Evades? Playing against AI and 4 times in a row, game still in progress so could be more in a few minutes, the AI rolled 2 Blanks, rerolled them into 2 evades, 4 times in a row....anyone want to do the odds for me????

On 8/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, Sandrem said:

Dice are fair. Behavior of dice is the same as in real life.

Code is open source, anyone can check. Randomization of dice is done in file "Scripts/View/Board/Dice/Die.cs" at line 102 (each 3d-axis gets a random rotation), then gravity does it's work. No special behavior for AI or real player.

I took a look at the source code, and I think I realize what the problem is - it's a perception problem.

In the real world, dice are randomized by causing them to roll - usually by rolling them across the palm of the hand, or throwing them, or by the use of tumbling dice towers or the use of cups to induce a rolling motion.

That's not how Fly Casual does it. It randomizes the orientation of the dice, then simply drops them. There may or may not be rolling that occurs when they hit the surface.

In the real world, if someone simply picked up the dice and dropped them, they would be asked to roll the dice properly, as simply dropping dice is not sufficient to randomize the results - it heavily favors orientations that are already at the top of the die when it is dropped. In Fly Casual, that's not really an issue - the orientation of the dice was already randomly selected prior to dropping them, so if they don't roll when they hit, they aren't any less random. But here's the thing - people are watching the dice roll or not roll, so they expect it to work the same way as it would in real life. When a die just drops and doesn't roll (which happens a lot on re-rolls, as the code drops the additional die right above the dice already on the table, which doesn't leave them room to actually roll), it appears to not be random.

Combine this with some confirmation bias (we usually only check the stats when we're rolling lots of blanks), and that's why we see so many complaints about the bias of the dice.

I can think of two ways to deal with the perception issue (which won't entirely eliminate the complaints, but it would at least reduce the appearance of a lack of randomness; I'm also not sure how easy or possible they are to do in Unity - I work in robotics, not game development!):
1. Turn off the animation of the dice, so you only show the final results.
2. Introduce a lateral motion to the dice when letting them go instead of just dropping them. This should cause them to roll across the table, especially when re-rolling.

As a software engineer, I understand that this is likely to get a low priority, though. Functionally, there is no change, so why add something that could introduce new bugs? As an experienced software engineer, I'll point out that User Experience is important, even though it's frequently annoying for us non-UX folks :)

Honestly though, it always feels like AI cheats, no matter the game. I broke a few PS4 controllers when I was young and headstrong. Now I watch my young boys repeatedly throw massive strops because a game is not behaving the way they want it to.

IT.WON'T.LET.ME.PASS!

Son, you're literally just pressing the button a microsecond too late, every single time....

So it's not specific to FC, or the dice mechanics therein. I think it's just a combination of unlikely variance strings, the lack of a visible random element and some form of confirmation bias all coming together to generate a powerful feeling of unfairness.

Even knowing this, I still regularly feel cheated by sim games, so I think it's just part of the human/AI interaction on a subconscious, animalistic level.

The robot subculture is gonna get it bad when it comes. I feel for them already.

7 hours ago, Freeptop said:

Introduce a lateral motion to the dice when letting them go instead of just dropping them. This should cause them to roll across the table, especially when re-rolling.

In plans. This is a simple change, but I plan to do it somewhere in v1.1, because I want to implement all remaining content/rules as v1.0 first.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:06 PM, Cuz05 said:

The robot subculture is gonna get it bad when it comes. I feel for them already.

As it so happens, I'm a software engineer that works in robotics. We already see it 😆

I feel like 0.9.3 did some good and some bad. 

Nashta pub deployment doesn't cause the game to crash for me any more, I like that. But the implementation seems to contradict my understanding of the rules. 

Quoting the rules reference:

A docked ship performs an emergency deploy similar to deploying, as described above, except the ship first suffers 1 [critical] damage and after executing the maneuver, does not have the opportunity to perform an action.

I would expect the critical damage to go into the shields, instead it is assigned an open damage card. I had the impression it also spawned with a weapons disabled token, which I think is also not correct since it still capable of attacking at its initiative. 

Did some obstacles things change, or something about vader? Ate a few cluster missiles from vader who was standing in an asteroid. He is good, but that good? 

Loving this. A couple of things that are jumping out at me.

1. Paige Tico on the Bomber, the roatate arc is not an action. Yet I can't paige rotate arc if im stressed or if I have already rotated arc as an action (or even with Paige and VTG).

2. Having a weird VTG issue with Paige where I shoot from an arc (eg, left side) Paige rotate to front/back and try to shoot a ship definitely in rear arc. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't and complain of "can't use the same arc." I think the programming is confusing the arc with the arc indicator. (ie, if the arc Indicator I shot with first is the one that moves to the new arc, it won't fire, but if the other end of the bow tie moves into that arc, then it will.)

Thats all from me. Love the sim. Makes practicing opening moves and combo's really handy.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, Freeptop said:

I took a look at the source code, and I think I realize what the problem is - it's a perception problem.

In the real world, dice are randomized by causing them to roll - usually by rolling them across the palm of the hand, or throwing them, or by the use of tumbling dice towers or the use of cups to induce a rolling motion.

That's not how Fly Casual does it. It randomizes the orientation of the dice, then simply drops them. There may or may not be rolling that occurs when they hit the surface.

In the real world, if someone simply picked up the dice and dropped them, they would be asked to roll the dice properly, as simply dropping dice is not sufficient to randomize the results - it heavily favors orientations that are already at the top of the die when it is dropped. In Fly Casual, that's not really an issue - the orientation of the dice was already randomly selected prior to dropping them, so if they don't roll when they hit, they aren't any less random. But here's the thing - people are watching the dice roll or not roll, so they expect it to work the same way as it would in real life. When a die just drops and doesn't roll (which happens a lot on re-rolls, as the code drops the additional die right above the dice already on the table, which doesn't leave them room to actually roll), it appears to not be random.

Combine this with some confirmation bias (we usually only check the stats when we're rolling lots of blanks), and that's why we see so many complaints about the bias of the dice.

I can think of two ways to deal with the perception issue (which won't entirely eliminate the complaints, but it would at least reduce the appearance of a lack of randomness; I'm also not sure how easy or possible they are to do in Unity - I work in robotics, not game development!):
1. Turn off the animation of the dice, so you only show the final results.
2. Introduce a lateral motion to the dice when letting them go instead of just dropping them. This should cause them to roll across the table, especially when re-rolling.

As a software engineer, I understand that this is likely to get a low priority, though. Functionally, there is no change, so why add something that could introduce new bugs? As an experienced software engineer, I'll point out that User Experience is important, even though it's frequently annoying for us non-UX folks :)

I also had a quick look at the code. But didn't have time to look into the detail.  What I can say is that from playing: the re-roll visually "looks" to just pick up the dice, keep the orientation as is, and drop it again.  So if there are many dice on the table it "looks" like it just bumps against some of the other dice and fall showing the same result again. 

I did see the re-rolled dice uses some states from the original dice in the code, but hopefully the actual randomization takes place each time for the roll and the re-roll.

41 minutes ago, Silver_leader said:

As I tried to load a squad with 0.9.3, it didn't load.

I did a few tests, and I would recommend you to check up TA-175 (from CIS). Even if I have played with him in 0.9.2, it has a problem to load a squad with him in it.

Not only him, but all Tactical Relays. Tried one by one with all 3 Tactical Relay-carrying ships - the models simply don't show up.

0-9-3-bug-tactical-relay-1.png

0-9-3-bug-tactical-relay-2.png

0-9-3-bug-tactical-relay-3.png

1 hour ago, dotswarlock said:

Love all the hard work you put into this, keep it up!  Quick question: how hard would it be to make Fly Casual work with an Occulus quest?  It would be jaw dropping if it ever worked ;)

It's very complicated to make it work if the developer doesn't have the hardware for it. The Oculus Quest is an expensive toy at a 550€ price tag.
I don't know if Sandrem has it.
But if he doesn't, it would be quite an big expense for a game that he develops for free.

6 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

how hard would it be to make Fly Casual work with an Occulus quest?

I don't have any VR set to develop this feature, and Patreon support is not so high to allow me to by it for the game (I don't want to spend money from another sources).

It is bad, that VR sets are available only for a few players at the moment. So I prefer to spend time to develop feature that will be useful for larger amount of players, like AI improvements, missions/campaign, or online mode.

But I agree, it would be very cool to play such type of game in VR.

Posted (edited)

Again, asteroids doing strange stuff. Parked Ketsu on a rock (shame on me), when she assigns a tractor token from her pilot ability, she just rolled for damage as of she just moved onto the stone. But this is in the engagement phase... 

Edited by flooze
Corrected the autocorrect....

8 hours ago, flooze said:

Again, asteroids doing strange stuff. Parked Ketsu on a rock (shame on me), when she assigns a tractor token she to get pilot ability, it is rolled for damage as of she just moved onto the stone. But this is in the engagement phase... 

Did the tractor beam movement template or the ship final position overlap the asteroid again? Barrel rolling or boosting counts as movement.

1 minute ago, Azrapse said:

Did the tractor beam movement template or the ship final position overlap the asteroid again? Barrel rolling or boosting counts as movement.

Not relevant. Ketsu doesn't move, she just signs a token to another ship. Yet she rolled for damage. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Azrapse said:

Oh. I misunderstood!

No worries. Just noticed that the autocorrect changed my sentence. Had trouble understanding it myself 😞

Edited by flooze

Plasma torpedoes are retaining the crit. They're supposed to be cancelled 1st. I don't mind this much as it's always me firing them :D

I've had Trick Shot fail to trigger several times but I need to test it more to figure out when and how.

Skipping attacks is still pretty easy to do by accident. User error I know, but can be a bit of a nuisance. Particularly if it lags on Ok-ing a dice roll.

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Skipping attacks is still pretty easy to do by accident. User error I know, but can be a bit of a nuisance. Particularly if it lags on Ok-ing a dice roll.

Yup. I'd like to see a confirmation box "You still have attacks to be made. Do you really want to skip them?"