s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

33 minutes ago, Sixter said:

I couldn´t find R2-D2 as a crew member for Han Solo in the YT-1300. Either R2-D2 is missing or I´m blind.

It's not been implemented yet. But then again, Han right now is bugged to only give rerolls for attack and defence rolls anyway, so that probably needs to get fixed first.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone else experienced skewed rolls for the AI? I have been playing a few games tonight and I am getting a lot less than average results. I am trying out my Fenn/Teroch/Lando EC and Seevor list. I have a TL and Focus on the Fangs at various stages of the game, and it is like the AI is limiting my results. I know that sounds conspiracy theorist nuts, but it happened so many times that I rerolled 4 and 5 die attacks to never get more than one hit. The Normal result was 1 hit, 1 focus and the rest were blanks, even on rerolls. I would not usually bother to ask other users on bad results, but the consistency of it happening tonight, I just had to ask.

Can someone do the math... Thought I would give it another go. Out of 9 Green die, 1 TIE fighter rolls 7 Evades, 1 Focus and a blank. The consistency of this kind of thing happening is driving me insane. 

OK I think I am out, the consistency of not being able to do anything because I just cant hit anything and if I do, it's countered most of the time by 66-75% natty evades. 

Sandrem, you have created a fantastic bit code on your own time. You are to be applauded. After tonight's experience I am not sure I can test builds vs the AI anymore. I am not sure if you have done anything, but it just seems the AI is overcompensating.

Edited by Archangelspiv

Really loving this thing.

I was wondering if you could add a way for me to setup the AI initial ship setup, or have a way to select different setup options.  I find sometimes the AI just feeds me one ship at a time, whereas if they were setup in a box formation it would be a lot better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

Has anyone else experienced skewed rolls for the AI? I have been playing a few games tonight and I am getting a lot less than average results. I am trying out my Fenn/Teroch/Lando EC and Seevor list. I have a TL and Focus on the Fangs at various stages of the game, and it is like the AI is limiting my results. I know that sounds conspiracy theorist nuts, but it happened so many times that I rerolled 4 and 5 die attacks to never get more than one hit. The Normal result was 1 hit, 1 focus and the rest were blanks, even on rerolls. I would not usually bother to ask other users on bad results, but the consistency of it happening tonight, I just had to ask.

Can someone do the math... Thought I would give it another go. Out of 9 Green die, 1 TIE fighter rolls 7 Evades, 1 Focus and a blank. The consistency of this kind of thing happening is driving me insane. 

OK I think I am out, the consistency of not being able to do anything because I just cant hit anything and if I do, it's countered most of the time by 66-75% natty evades. 

Sandrem, you have created a fantastic bit code on your own time. You are to be applauded. After tonight's experience I am not sure I can test builds vs the AI anymore. I am not sure if you have done anything, but it just seems the AI is overcompensating.

The AI does seem to have "hot dice" from time to time. Last night I had the last AI Tie/SF roll 3 hits (unmodified) against my Gunboat at range 1 and then 2 hits (unmodified) out the back with its double tap against another Gunboat at range 2 behind a rock. I blanked out both defense rolls and he did 5 damage from the double tap. He died from return fire but got half points on both ships before the round ended. Seems like the AI gets these incredible rolls frequently, but then I remembered early in the match the AI blanking out multiple attack rolls and defensive rolls. 9 times out of 10 I usually beat the AI even when they seem to roll hot. They often are too split up in their formation and are susceptible to concentrated fire without being able to do that in return. I actually don't mind them rolling hotter than normal if that is the case. Makes it much more of a challenge.

Edited by Jo Jo

8 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

The AI does seem to have "hot dice" from time to time. Last night I had the last AI Tie/SF roll 3 hits against my Gunboat at range 1 and then 2 hits out the back with its double tap against another Gunboat at range 2 behind a rock. I blanked out both defense rolls and he did 5 damage from the double tap. He died from return fire but got half points on both ships before the round ended. Seems like the AI gets these incredible rolls frequently, but then I remembered early in the match the AI blanking out multiple attack rolls and defensive rolls. 9 times out of 10 I usually beat the AI even when they seem to roll hot. They often are too split up in their formation and are susceptible to concentrated fire without being able to do that in return. I actually don't mind them rolling hotter than normal if that is the case. Makes it much more of a challenge.

Cheers Jo Jo, I just needed someone to say they had had the same experience as me. I have had Fenn and Teroch throw 9 dice at a Khiraxz and live, Vader, Soontir and Vizier throw 9 Dice at an Academy for them to do a combined 1 damage. It go to me a bit :)

3 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

I've noticed this too, with this and the AI doing its moves based on your moves, it's become a bit frustrating playing.

4 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Has anyone else experienced skewed rolls for the AI? I have been playing a few games tonight and I am getting a lot less than average results.

2 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

The AI does seem to have "hot dice" from time to time

29 minutes ago, redxavier said:

I've noticed this too, with this and the AI doing its moves based on your moves, it's become a bit frustrating playing.

Dice are fair, there is no difference between dice rolls for AI or human. Only luck can be different. Or you never had situations in real life, when someone has series of good/bad dice rolls?

New AI ("Aggressor AI" that replaced "HotAC AI') assigns maneuvers during planning phase and doesn't know what maneuvers are assigned to player's ships.

Code is open-source - anyone can check how the game works. Please, stop your conspiracy theories 😃

Hmm, that's interesting. I've tested the AI moves by doing very unexpected things (like doing a 5 straight or 3 turn disengage when it makes no sense to do so) and the AI consistently puts their ships in places where I will end up, places where no human could predict.  What's difference in the Aggressor AI compared to HOTAC?

Still I appreciate all the effort you put into this.

8 minutes ago, redxavier said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I've tested the AI moves by doing very unexpected things (like doing a 5 straight or 3 turn disengage when it makes no sense to do so) and the AI consistently puts their ships in places where I will end up, places where no human could predict. 

I've tested it similarly by doing very predictable moves and watching it fly all over the frickin' place. It's an AI. things happen.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, redxavier said:

What's difference in the Aggressor AI compared to HOTAC?

HotAC AI
AI ships are not assigned dials on planning phase.
When AI ship activates, it checks position of enemy ship (locked target or the nearest), then checks in what relative sector that ship is located, then chooses a maneuver from list of maneuvers in case if enemy is in this sector.

Aggressor AI
Maneuvers are assigned during planning phase, as usual.
AI predicts movement of player's ships with lower initiative.
Then predicts all possible maneuvers of own ship.
Then predicts movement of player's ships with higher initiative.
Then checks final positions of each possible maneuver of own ships - was ship bumped? has it any targets to shoot? is it in arcs of enemy ships?
And selects a maneuver with best opportunities.
AI remembers maneuvers of own ships and predicted maneuvers of enemy ships.
(This is basic description, it is really more complex)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3o_jZMqBk

Edited by Sandrem

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sandrem said:

HotAC AI
AI ships are not assigned dials on planning phase.
When AI ship activates, it checks position of enemy ship (locked target or the nearest), then checks in what relative sector that ship is located, then chooses a maneuver from list of maneuvers in case if enemy is in this sector.

Aggressor AI
Maneuvers are assigned during planning phase, as usual.
AI predicts movement of player's ships with lower initiative.
Then predicts all possible maneuvers of own ship.
Then predicts movement of player's ships with higher initiative.
Then checks final positions of each possible maneuver of own ships - was ship bumped? has it any targets to shoot? is it in arcs of enemy ships?
And selects a maneuver with best opportunities.
AI remembers maneuvers of own ships and predicted maneuvers of enemy ships.
(This is basic description, it is really more complex)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3o_jZMqBk

This is really cool, and I've found that this AI does a great job of not bumping.

Obviously it misses out on a lot of ability triggers (notably not locking for ATC on the /x1s) but it flies a squad of XXXXZeb very well, which is what I use to test a lot of my lists.

Of course it will be especially awesome once it has the capacity to figure out deployment, ability triggers, and repositioning, but I realize that takes a tremendous amount of code to simulate.

Keep up the amazing work, as always!

Edited by ClassicalMoser

5 hours ago, Sandrem said:

Dice are fair, there is no difference between dice rolls for AI or human. Only luck can be different. Or you never had situations in real life, when someone has series of good/bad dice rolls?

New AI ("Aggressor AI" that replaced "HotAC AI') assigns maneuvers during planning phase and doesn't know what maneuvers are assigned to player's ships.

Code is open-source - anyone can check how the game works. Please, stop your conspiracy theories 😃

That's... mostly true. 

I believe the dice are fairly affected by the way re-rolls happen. I understand you're using what amounts to a PhysX simulation to roll the dice, but when there's more than a couple dice in the box, and some are rolled again, the re-rolled dice get trapped by the others, as they don't move. 

You don't get any real rotation or bounce of the dice in the re-roll because it's created a little space that prevents any movement. 

It seems like increasing the size of the dice box or moving unused dice off to the side would be helpful. 

48 minutes ago, bydand said:

You don't get any real rotation or bounce of the dice in the re-roll because it's created a little space that prevents any movement. 

When a die is re-rolled, then it's initial rotation is randomized, and only then it is thrown. So it has random result in any size of space.

One thing I've noticed is that Han (Rebel) pretty much always uses his reroll, even when he shouldn't.

I was testing against the Han + Jake list, and it becomes trivial to fight when the Han AI is using the Han reroll on his single evade result and rerolling it into a blank, or rerolling hit hit focus when it has a focus token.

2 hours ago, SavouryRain said:

One thing I've noticed is that Han (Rebel) pretty much always uses his reroll, even when he shouldn't.

I was testing against the Han + Jake list, and it becomes trivial to fight when the Han AI is using the Han reroll on his single evade result and rerolling it into a blank, or rerolling hit hit focus when it has a focus token.

Also his ability doesn’t work with Lando, R2, or Asteroids. Probably a harder fix, but he’s getting a lot of attention now.

On the subject of dice, I did wonder the same thing. Then had a store tourney which showed pretty conclusively that real life dice are well capable of continually and inevitably shafting you game after game as well.

Fly Casual dice come thick and fast and make long hot/cold spells more obvious, is all.

Dice are just comedic all the time everywhere.

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

On the subject of dice, I did wonder the same thing. Then had a store tourney which showed pretty conclusively that real life dice are well capable of continually and inevitably shafting you game after game as well.

Fly Casual dice come thick and fast and make long hot/cold spells more obvious, is all.

Dice are just comedic all the time everywhere.

I generally thought the same thing. The reason for my post was that it was over 7 to 10 games of abhorrent my dice vs golden AI die

A bug i have seen: When you shoot to an enemy ship, and it's "obstructed" by a friendly ship, system says thas it's not a legal objective.

2 hours ago, AdrianBP said:

A bug i have seen: When you shoot to an enemy ship, and it's "obstructed" by a friendly ship, system says thas it's not a legal objective.

Please, provide screenshots of such bugs. To reproduce this bug, some special conditions are required, and I still don't know them - so I cannot fix it.

19 hours ago, Sandrem said:

HotAC 

I saw HotAC and my heart missed a beat. 

Please, add singleplayer HotAC campaign in your Fly Casual! Just imagine: you create a number of pilots (3? 4?), choose their ships and go to missions (increasingly more difficult), earn XP, buy upgrades and improve the skills. It's epic! 

For all the dead characters of both Legends and Disney Canon, for all the scraped concept art and good ideas, for all the projects and books that never saw the light of the day, for all ideas George Lucas had in the shower (and forgot later), PLEASE, do it.