s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

As always, kudos to Sandrem et al for a great tool (I play a couple games most nights).  However, I am also getting frustrated by the Out-of-Arc issue, especially when you line up a good shot only to be denied by the measurement logic.  At first, I just thought they were too close to call, but there are certainly times that a ship is clearly in arc.  As others have mentioned, it is usually when the corner is the closest point and out of arc but another part of the ship is clearly in arc (even at a different range).  Second, I am not sure I like the "improvement" to bump up the resolution of elements, specifically on a Windows desktop.  Now all the notifications are covering over the ships and especially the dice window, so I cannot even click the "OK" button or even see the automatic results (until they all are hidden).  Have others been annoyed by this change in 0.6.4?  (I can log a GitHub ticket if needed.)

On 10/15/2018 at 8:12 PM, CaptainIxidor said:

I've had the same issue with Advanced Sensor. Seems it goofs out every other turn.

I've been noticing the same thing. If I bump or go over a rock, the restriction on actions carries over to the next turn, which makes me think that the end trigger is connected to the next action opportunity somehow.

Separately, I had my last ship die to Console Fire with Han Solo gunner on board. The ship was removed and then the Han Solo gunner dialogue popped up. I was already stressed, so the game tried to auto-skip the opportunity and then the game crashed. No console, just a refusal to do anything, including exit.

I've had similar advanced sensors issues, playing benthic if I start the turn stressed then regardless of whether I choose to use the advanced sensors it skips my perform action step even though I was unstressed at the end of the maneuver, very strange.

It's a nice start, but I found it too buggy to be of much use. For instance, in two games in a row, I had a round where wasn't given the option to decloak Whisper, which totally messed up my game. Also, when I play it on a secondary screen, and I move my mouse cursor to the other screen, the Fly Casual interface starts scrolling to the side, just because my mouse cursor got to the edge of the application window.

The UI needs a lot of work, too. It's very much watered down.

There's no way to save/load squad lists.

The application window disappears when I select another application window, like the designer expects that someone will be playing this at work in a cubicle.

The real kicker, though, is that a lot of content is just flat-out missing, like "Echo," Dauntless, and Emperor Palpatine.

3 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

There's no way to save/load squad lists.

You can definitely save/load squads.

The bugs are being worked out.  I actually think it's pretty impressive for basically only one guy working on it.  Thanks again Sandrem.

12 minutes ago, cmumma said:

The bugs are being worked out.  I actually think it's pretty impressive for basically only one guy working on it.  Thanks again Sandrem.

Impressive for one guy, sure. Definitely something that I can't do. But that doesn't mean that it's good. That just means that it could have been worse. Basically, the whole thing FEELS like it was created by just one guy in his spare time. It really shows. There was too much time spent on trivial things like the animation of ships moving instead of focusing first on making a usable UI. It feels like the guy who created it was basically just playing around with Unity.

19 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Buddy, WE* like it and we are happy with it, warts and all.

It's improving constantly. If it doesn't live up to your expectations, move on.

*I don't speak for everyone, but most folks here are appreciative of Sandrem's work.

This.

Consider it a product of the community and feel the love.

It hasn't had a game company plowing funds into it. It isn't Lucas Arts or Disney pushing product and taking your money. It's a personal project, given freely and created from a desire for something other.

If I had made it, it would look like something done free hand on Windows Paint and would consist of nothing more than Academy Pilots and Blue Squadron Novices.

And you'd need your own dice.

Getting automatic range options was one of the most surprisingly hard things I did for vassal about a full year ago. I planned for many cases right off the bat, but new case scenarios kept coming up. Also, a few weeks ago, I got yet another reported case I never planned for and got busy patching it for my next vassal module version. I know them dev feels. Things get monstrous for the weird mobile turret arcs even more.

I'm getting some weird results with stress and advanced sensors in the current build.

A turn after I Advanced Sensor and Red Manouver, then lose the stress in the combat phase (this is with Tem obv.) the game still skips both my Advanced Sensors phase AND my normal action step. This is replicatable with Braylan Stramm as well. Even though I've lost my Stress, with regards to actions the game still counts me as having a Stress if I have an Advanced Sensor. But I can still do Red Manouvers.

It's weird because it WAS WORKING FINE in the previous build.

10 hours ago, Mward1984 said:

I'm getting some weird results with stress and advanced sensors in the current build.

A turn after I Advanced Sensor and Red Manouver, then lose the stress in the combat phase (this is with Tem obv.) the game still skips both my Advanced Sensors phase AND my normal action step. This is replicatable with Braylan Stramm as well. Even though I've lost my Stress, with regards to actions the game still counts me as having a Stress if I have an Advanced Sensor. But I can still do Red Manouvers.

It's weird because it WAS WORKING FINE in the previous build.

I always keep the last build when I install a new one. If I'm AdvSring with my list, I go back to 6.4 unhotfixed. 

Got a handsome crit chain onto Dutch the other day :D

2 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I always keep the last build when I install a new one. If I'm AdvSring with my list, I go back to 6.4 unhotfixed. 

Got a handsome crit chain onto Dutch the other day :D

...so do I? I'm just saying that this is an issue with the current build.

8 minutes ago, Mward1984 said:

...so do I? I'm just saying that this is an issue with the current build.

Not really being specific to you there. The AdvS problem has been mentioned here before and I'd been meaning to drop a note in to say it's worth going back to the last version if someone intends to use it. You just gave me the nudge to do so :)

Will start by saying, cool program, seems much easier then Vassal, always had a problem with that, therefore never play it.

Anyway, played with palob and crew 000, it only gave me the option for one of these things, could not use both, or if I could, ad no idea how to.

Sometimes also, I seem to miss a shooting oppurtunity, against AI, and have no choice/option to go back a step.

And agian, thx for an awesome program.

Polle

A night or two ago, my Fenn Rau had Boba dead to rights, face to face. As I prepared to throw a handful of red dice at him, I was denied with an out-of-arc message. He was quite literally in the bullseye, although I didn't have any effect that required it. Then on Boba's turn he was allowed to shoot Fenn.

Even with a few glitches, it's still a good way to test squad builds and tweak them before putting them on the table.