s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

I had an odd experience where after a ship moved the ship that moved before it moved off the table and was destroyed. The ships were in the middle of the table. The game froze after the second time this happened. There was no error message.

Something I realised yesterday, going back to crit damage avalanches, Direct Hit gives 3 hits every time. Many things go boom.

Edit. I should also add that this app has me quite hyped for, and hooked on, 2.0. Much props, Sandrem and team!

Edited by Cuz05

13 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Direct Hit gives 3 hits every time. Many things go boom.

Yes, seems true. But then I got two hits and a Direct Hit on full health X-Wing and it blew up.

AI ships appear to fly off the board with greater frequency now.

Also, I had a TIE Aggressor with Ion Cannon Turret and Cluster Missiles. When I scored a hit (outside of forward arc) with the Ion Turret against a ship I had a Lock on, it then asked me to select a second target for Cluster Missiles and froze the game.

Playing against a friend via Internet was impossible. Tried it 6-7 times and the game always crashed either after boosting/ linked actions or after the first dice were rolled. Game against AI went smoothly though.

@Sandrem I just wanted to pop back in a say that every time I use the new official squad builder app, the catchy music you have for the main menu of Fly Casual immediately pops into my head. Do you have a youtube link or downloadable version of that song? I kinda want to actually listen to it when I use the squad builder. ?

The latest update has been pretty solid. Great work!

So I blocked a ship with a TIE, causing it to fly off the board and then I Vader'd a damage onto Dutch and the game got stuck.

There were some messages I didn't understand.

saDJzRH.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I pulled up the console

O2exA7b.jpg

Hi Sandrem,

I got to say being able to click through a 200 point game in 30 minutes is great, thank you again for making this simulator.  That said the HotAC AI is a bit easy... Have you thought of ways to increase the difficulty?  Perhaps having difficulty levels that equate to greater squad points?  normal = 200, intermediate 250, advanced 300.. or something like that?

Also what level of education/experience do you have? and how many hours a week do you spend improving this game?  Obviously you have a few collaborators and there is also the skill of the programmer which would be difficult to quantify.  I am just curious because I often wonder what I will do when I retire from my current job.  Would making games like this be as easy as going back to school and getting an undergrad in computer science (do they even call it that anymore)?

Oh Sandrem,  I think the Kyle Katarn ability only considers the mobile arc and not the forward arc provided by the moldy crow tittle.  For instance if my mobile arc is to the left but my squad mates are in my front arc I should still be able to pass a focus to them (assuming I have the tittle).

3 hours ago, BenDay said:

the HotAC AI is a bit easy... Have you thought of ways to increase the difficulty? 

Unfortunately true but the AI system is a trusted and true one, developed for actual tabletop games, i.e. not on a computer. As such, it's unlikely to change and not really possible to tweak the difficulty.

Basically, it selects the nearest enemy ship and moves towards it, randomly choosing from a small selection of suitable manoeuvres, (disregarding possible bumps but 'swerving' obstacles). Then it takes an action based on a checklist.

It becomes a lot trickier when the AI has a higher Initiative/Pilot Skill, since it will move after you and select it's manoeuvre with perfect knowledge. It's quite an interesting exercise, playing against that.

One thing I'd really like to be able to do is set the AIs deployment and add the HOTAC squadron rules to it*. Block of Bombers inbound! Fight!

*The squadron will all select the same target and manoeuvre. As soon as a ship takes damage, it breaks formation and goes solo. In a nutshell.

Actually, while I'm here, I think Instinctive Aim is only ignoring the TL requirement on special attacks. Had multiple Procket shots lined up earlier but no option to fire them.

Ah, but when I fired them with the Grand Inquisitor, (thanks to a focus token), it allowed me to use his ability and roll 6 dice :D

3 hours ago, nexttwelveexits said:

Kyle Katarn's ability only stipulates "firing arc," and Moldy Crow makes his front arc a firing arc, so he can use it in addition to his primary weapon's turret arc.

HWKs are really really good.

right.. Fly Casual only considers the mobile arc and it should consider both.. I explained it poorly.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, BenDay said:

Have you thought of ways to increase the difficulty?  Perhaps having difficulty levels that equate to greater squad points? 

I don't like this idea. If AI has too many points/ships - this changes the game a lot. You have problems with arc-dodging, ships with low agility take too much damage etc.

I prefer to increase complexity by change of rules, like in SE HotAC AI doesn't get a stress token when performs linked red action. Maybe I will change a way how maneuvers are chosen by AI - but this is a lot of work, I plan to add content and polish network/mobile parts of the game.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, BenDay said:

Also what level of education/experience do you have? and how many hours a week do you spend improving this game?

Most of my skills in programming are self-education. There is a lot of resources to study.

I spend ~3 hours per day. Sometimes I spend a lot of time to do something, and sometimes I take a pause for a few days.

1 hour ago, Sandrem said:

I don't like this idea. If AI has too many points/ships - this changes the game a lot. You have problems with arc-dodging, ships with low agility take too much damage etc.

I prefer to increase complexity by change of rules, like in SE HotAC AI doesn't get a stress token when performs linked red action. Maybe I will change a way how maneuvers are chosen by AI - but this is a lot of work, I plan to add content and polish network/mobile parts of the game.

Most of my skills in programming are self-education. There is a lot of resources to study.

I spend ~3 hours per day. Sometimes I spend a lot of time to do something, and sometimes I take a pause for a few days.

I can't believe you don't have a formal education in programing. You seem to have the potential and passion. As for increasing the difficulty, a) you make some good points b) it is your game ?

10 hours ago, Sandrem said:

What about adding a variable point cost mode/epic mode so that you can play more epic sized games? For instance 150 or 200 points per side? Not just for the AI but for the player as well, then you could keep the standard format as 100 points

13 hours ago, agenttherock said:

What about adding a variable point cost mode/epic mode so that you can play more epic sized games? For instance 150 or 200 points per side? Not just for the AI but for the player as well, then you could keep the standard format as 100 points

I plan to add support of epic mode soon (but without epic ships - they require a lot of work). I will add support of 3x6 battlefield too.