s1ickrick

Fly Casual X-Wing Simulator

Once again, let me just say that Fly Casual is a great tool :) thanks a lot for the hard work! 

-----

I've ran into this bug twice, with different lists. Once in 0.5.3. and once in 0.5.3. hotfix 1. 

The issue is that AI gets stuck when trying to assign the Krennic condition (at the start of the game when choosing a ship to which to assign the "Optimized Prototype" condition)

Screenshot with console open is attached. LMK if you need more details.

Krennic.jpg

Edited by vladamex

FlyCasual has become my main source of X-Wing since my local group has pretty much abandoned the game. I'm much obliged to you for building the best X-Wing software out there (I can't stand VASSAL's UI and TTS always felt too finnicky). If you're looking for feedback—some of which may be redundant with previous  reporting—here's what I've noticed so far:

• The squad builder screen sometimes loses the button to add another ship. Generally happens when there's already a lot of cards selected.
  • It would be really handy to be able to duplicate a pilot with its upgrades, especially for 1e squads which tend to have tons of cards.
  • For self-challenge purposes it would be cool to be able to optionally break the 100 or 200 point limit (or other squad building rules) for the AI.
  • This may not be possible based on how you've implemented the AI, but I'd really like to be able to choose where the AI places its ships. It doesn't need to be smart enough to place the ships intelligently itself or maintain formation; just allowing me to put the ships in sensible locations would be enough.
  • The E-Wing's 2e linked action should be a red lock, not a red focus.
  • The 2e B-Wing is indeed missing its 1-Troll as @Shoulder of Orion points out.
  • The AI doesn't understand how to shoot 2e cluster missiles and hangs every time on the potential bonus attack.
  • I've also encountered the bug @vladamex did; the AI sometimes doesn't know which ship Optimized Prototype should be assigned to. It actually didn't happen the few times I loaded lists in just now, but I could swear it's happened to me in 0.5.3 Hotfix 1 before. 
  • The 2e Arc-170 should be on a medium base.
  • On 2e turret ships, like the K-Wing, it seems impossible to fire secondary weapons from the forward arc if there is no primary weapon arc aligned there.
  • 2e ships with both a forward arc primary weapon and a turret secondary weapon (like the Y-Wing) are still able to fire the primary weapon using the turret's arc, even if the turret is not aligned to the forward arc position. I've used a Y-Wing's primary weapon from a turret arc by accident at Range 3 when I'm not given a choice. And I think (but I'm not positive) that the opposite is also true; a turret secondary can be used from the primary arc even if the turret is aligned elsewhere.
  • I accept that the AI can't perform boost and barrel roll actions because the logic would be really hard to program, but as (I suspect) a side effect, the AI can't perform the compulsory maneuver for the TIE Reaper and Striker, which causes those ships to fly very strangely. Might there be some way to implement the Ailerons effect anyway, even if it's so crude as a 1 forward in all cases?
  • When the Elite Y-Wing Pilots mod is selected, it allows 1e Dutch with an EPT to be selected as a 2e pilot.
  • The TIE Defender's Full Throttle ability appears to assign an evade token (as in 1e before /x7 was nerfed) rather than granting an evade action, which causes the AI to then take the evade action and end up with two evades. A human player can also do this, and although it's probably not as good as a focus it's still illegal.

I read above that you're looking for feedback on successful 2e squads for the AI; I've had tough games against TIE Defenders (despite the double-evade issue) as it's a ship that consistently gets focus/evade/lock and has no trouble keeping arc on you most of the time. They would be even meaner if the AI could boost or barrel roll, but they're tough already. I recommend the following until more upgrades become available:

Onyx Squadron Ace @ Outmaneuver, Fire Control System

Scimitar Squadron Pilot @ Proton Torpedoes

Finally, I'd just like to give a big thank you for some features that aren't strictly necessary for X-Wing but which are a lot of fun and make me happy:

• Skins for different ships. I appreciate being able to make my Green Squadron A-Wings green or my Blue Squadron X-Wings blue.
  • Sound effects from the movies. I love hearing the TIE Fighter engine, the Firespray's rapid fire lasers, the proton torpedo sound from A New Hope, and the beefy explosion when a ship is destroyed.
  • Similarly, I like the engine FX, especially on the bigger ships like the Falcon and the VT-49, but it brings the X-Wings and Y-Wings to life too.
  • Your 1e mods are a lot of fun. I like being able to fly Tycho, Wedge, and Corran together, and the Rebels characters' abilities are surprisingly great in A-Wings, especially Hera, who basically has Stay On Target with no downside.
  • It's very nice to be able to mouse over possible targets when shooting to see from the squad overlays which ships are focused, target locking, evading, etc.
  • Having multiple maps. The Hoth map is cool but I also love the variety of flat surfaces, especially the ground maps, which bring back memories of the Rogue Squadron games.

Again, thanks so much for making this!

Minor issue: my ionized 2.0 Countess Ryad was forced to do a K-turn. When she activated, the box for her ability popped up like it normally does, but the white 1k was the only option available. I couldn't skip the step either, but that doesn't really matter because Ryad shouldn't be able to alter the ion maneuver in the first place.

Edited by nexttwelveexits
clarifying 2nd edition

You might have said your keyboard was German. Maybe try ctrl + one of the other special character keys? §, ^, or `  ? It probably wouldn't hurt anything to try all of them, that's how I discovered it was tilde on my computer.

4 hours ago, AdmiralKirk said:

You might have said your keyboard was German. Maybe try ctrl + one of the other special character keys? §, ^, or `  ? It probably wouldn't hurt anything to try all of them, that's how I discovered it was tilde on my computer.

Macs do not have CTRL.

13 hours ago, erytas said:

Which a (at least a german one) mac keyboard does not have.

It's probably CMD + tilde. Try that. Almost anytime it's CTRL on Windows it's CMD on MAC but not always. I'm not a MAC user so it might not be correct.

EDIT: Oh wait, does the German layout also not have the tilde? If so, try whatever key is above the tab key, to the left of the number row? (I'm really not familiar with this layout so I'm sorry if this is not helpful.)

Is this a QWERTZ layout? Try Alt Gr + + Might need to press CTRL/CMD in addition to this.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm clearly not familiar enough with MAC. Just ignore me completely.

Edited by Ixidor

This is no longer really relevant to Erytas' question, but for anyone else with a Mac who is curious about this, Apple keyboards do have CTRL (It's occasionally used to modify other shortcuts, i.e. CMD + CTRL + Power, which forces a restart), and on an English keyboard CTRL + Tilde brings up the console just like it does on Windows.

19 hours ago, AdmiralKirk said:

Tried every key in every combination (crtl, alt, cmd) - at least i tried dto. No console for me.

16 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Just installed the latest (0.5.3 HF1) on my mac and when I go to build squads in either edition, there is nothing there to select. Any ideas?

The first time you load a new version, they take a while to show up. It's annoying but you can usually go back and then go in again and after a few times of that they are there.

Upgrades have the same loading issue.

11 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

The first time you load a new version, they take a while to show up. It's annoying but you can usually go back and then go in again and after a few times of that they are there.

Upgrades have the same loading issue.

This has not worked yet.