GroggyGolem

Force Lightning with Cybernetic Limbs. Your thoughts?

10 hours ago, Cifer said:

I think it's entirely possible that Vader was unable to use Force Lightning due to his cybernetics, but that doesn't mean it has to hold true for all cybernetics. On the contrary: It has been noted several times that Vader's systems are clunky and painful to him, exactly as the Emperor wanted them to be. And since they comprise his life support, he can't exactly switch them out on the fly either.  So get some arms that are not from the bargain bin and you're set.

That kind of thing happens when you take something out from legends and ignore the context in which it was placed in legends. ^_^
Vader's cybernetics stopping him from using lighting gets a total different context when we get told that Vader's cybernetic are intentional limiting Vader's power to enforce the rule of one. 

5 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

That kind of thing happens when you take something out from legends and ignore the context in which it was placed in legends. ^_^
Vader's cybernetics stopping him from using lighting gets a total different context when we get told that Vader's cybernetic are intentional limiting Vader's power to enforce the rule of one. 

Yeah in canon he actually became stronger from getting beaten and gaining the suit and all that. 

23 minutes ago, Cifer said:

@GroggyGolem

Do you have a source for that? Because that's not what I read... anywhere. At all. He may have gained in raw physical strength and armor, but he absolutely lost in agility and overall ability.

I believe it is in Lords of the Sith, possibly even the 2015 Darth Vader comic but that one's more show than tell. He thinks about how he hated the suit at first but actually appreciated it afterwards because it sharpened his skills and helped to fuel his rage.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_lightning/Legends#Force_lightning_users

Using this link I read something that might support the idea that force users with cybernetics CAN actually use force lightning. "In addition, Vader's life supports systems were not well insulated, and the systems delicate circuitry was vulnerable to the damaging effects of force lightning". Now, if the cybernetics were designed and manufactured properly based on this quote I believe a force user CAN ACTUALLY use force lightning if he/she had the proper cybernetics to handle the force lightning.

Thoughts on the matter?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, GroggyGolem said:

Yeah in canon he actually became stronger from getting beaten and gaining the suit and all that. 

I'm sure that on one of the voice commentaries George Lucas said the opposite, that Anakins powers diminished because of the suit replacing so much of his physical form.
In fact the Wookiepedia page on Vader has a quote from him saying "Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his legs and an arm and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that much of him left."

However, you could argue if that makes it canon or not.

For me, personally, I would say that someone with cybernetic arms can't use Force Lightning, but could use a technological solution to the problem of frying people from a distance! 

1 hour ago, Urbane Spaceman said:

However, you could argue if that makes it canon or not. 

Just like "Jar Jar is the key to all of this", the concept that Anakin's powers diminished seems to have been left out of the films. Of course his physical strength is weaker when he starts to wheeze but even his physical strength is better with cybernetics.

Everything in the Canon shows Vader pulling off stuff with the Force that Anakin never could and I think it's mainly from his conviction. As Anakin he lacked focus because he was torn between light and dark.

Vader was physically stronger, almost certainly, but I'd say that the evidence in the films suggest that he is weaker in the Force as Vader than he would have been at the same age as Anakin. After all, Leia held out against him on the Death Star. His fighting style was certainly more sedate than in his younger days. Of course, he does call on the Dark Side, and is, as you said, fuelled by rage, but does that make him stronger, or "only the Master of evil"? 

As I said, it's debateable that a direct quote from George Lucas is canon, but he seems to suggest that his intention was that Anakin never reached his full potential due to his defeat on Mustafar.