JohnChildermass

Transhuman Genesys

After seeing the Altered Carbon trailer, I've been wondering how to do sleeves in Genesys? Also related to an Eclipse Phase hack.

Would a sleeve be an archetype with special rule that you can change an archetype by re-sleeving?

Or would it provide bonuses to some of the characteristics and by priced accordingly?

What about augmentations that would have a physical effect (like claws or built-in armor) or a mental effect (like psionics)?

What are your ideas? And how to price a sleeve? Based on cybernetics?

I would love to run something like Eclipse Phase, especially with Altered Carbon coming out soon.

Sitting here with my gaming group we came up with the the idea of attaching upgrades and downgrades to charistics and individual skills. This would modify the base character while maintaining a core stat set. Quick, fast, and easy.

Edited by Dermaius Korr

Transhumanism is an interesting setting idea because it divorces people from things like bodies and asks "what makes us human?" I would use archetypes to determine the base character of a person, and use sleeves as 'vehicles'. Vehicles would match the mechanics, imo to sleeving a bit better. I'd probably make a Tone rule saying that characters only have a strain threshold, no wound threshold. Then I'd toy with dropping the system strain from vehicles, and use the character's strain in place. Sleeves would be vehicles, so use hull trama for wound threshold instead of a character's.

I rather liked the idea of back up copies from Eclipse Phase. If you are willing to do the book keeping I recomend considering it. The main issue I found was that you really had to keep track of xp, skills, incharacter information quite tightly so players don't feel they have unlimited lives. Die before the encounter is over? no xp for you, you no longer know anything learned during mission, if you last backed up 2 sessions ago and raised any stats, lower them back down etc.

15 hours ago, Darksyde said:

I rather liked the idea of back up copies from Eclipse Phase. If you are willing to do the book keeping I recomend considering it. The main issue I found was that you really had to keep track of xp, skills, incharacter information quite tightly so players don't feel they have unlimited lives. Die before the encounter is over? no xp for you, you no longer know anything learned during mission, if you last backed up 2 sessions ago and raised any stats, lower them back down etc.

I think it's rather easy today. Simply use form-fillable character sheets and do a print-out at each save-point. Then you always have that sheet as a backup.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, SwivelDiscourse said:

I'd probably take a page from Star Wars and use the rules for Robots/Cyborgs, except with more mods, and cheaper cost for mods.

If you are going to do this, you really need there to be social setbacks and penalities. I know there's details on this in the GURPS transhuman space book, but i haven't got a copy anymore so I can't look. I think a more recent example is the augmented apartheid of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. We found people would just get cybernetics in SW and get 6s in AGI or BRA but not because they needed the replacements, but because it gave them a 6.

DXMD is a good source of inspiration for ways in which mechanically augmented humans are treated by non-augmented types. And like all discrimination - misogyny, racism, homophobia - it comes out of a challenge to the established quo, and their insecure reaction back against it.

7 hours ago, Endersai said:

DXMD is a good source of inspiration for ways in which mechanically augmented humans are treated by non-augmented types. And like all discrimination - misogyny, racism, homophobia - it comes out of a challenge to the established quo, and their insecure reaction back against it.

I think that depends on "when" you are on the transhumanism timeline. If being augmented is the norm, the non-augmented types will be the ones discriminated against. Of course, even Eclipse Phase has the Jovian Republic that's staunchly anti-transhuman.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Doughnut said:

I'd probably make a Tone rule saying that characters only have a strain threshold, no wound threshold.

Maybe Strain plays too much into it, but wouldn't a wound threshold be a combination of the sleeve's resistance to injury as well as the inhabitant's tolerance to shock? In similar fashion there are moments where Strain is imposed via a physical exertion and would be equally dependent on the quality of the sleeve.

I think both deserve to get shared stats across sleeve and character.

1 hour ago, Endersai said:

Also aren't resleevings limited, with only the really wealthy being able to infinitely resleeve?

Would depend on the setting. Eclipse phase looked like sleeves were about equivalent to a car in modern day America. Most people only have one basic model, you can trade it in every so often for a new one. Some people lavish resources on theirs and have a super nice one. Poor have a crappy one with downsides. Rich can have several. 

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

Would depend on the setting. Eclipse phase looked like sleeves were about equivalent to a car in modern day America. Most people only have one basic model, you can trade it in every so often for a new one. Some people lavish resources on theirs and have a super nice one. Poor have a crappy one with downsides. Rich can have several. 

I meant in Altered Carbon, sorry.

Also, as I was typing that out - I touch speed type, so occasionally errors occur - I wrote "Altered Cabron", which is a better title quite frankly.

I don't want to just mimic 'depends on the setting', but I prefer to think about it in terms of how advanced becoming transhuman is. Deus Ex is just starting the process, where you can replace parts of yourself with similar or better versions, but Altered Carbon, for example, lets you replace the entire body and upload the mind digitally. Therefore:

For Deus Ex, unless it changed in Mankind Divided, I'd suggest just using Cybernetics as-is, with the option of allowing a character to have their Cybernetics destroyed rather than suffer death or otherwise truly permanent Critical Injuries (IE, at the start of the game, he loses pretty much everything to an explosion and has to have it replaced - just use that system in reverse. Don't want to suffer a 124 Critical roll? Sacrifice your arm (possibly again) in order to avoid the Injury).

In a setting closer to Altered Carbon, where (in the Netflix series) it appears you are simply put into a sleeve based on your existing genetic information, you'd build a standard character, probably have some upgrades that are cheaper cybernetics, with the expectation that you'll 'die' every so often and have to replace it all. Might even allow characters to purchase upgrades to their cybernetics that mimic Talents, since all it takes is one really bad encounter to take it again.