Rekar88

First Attempt at a Board and Terrain

Hi Guys,

I've been pretty excited about the release of Legion, and decided to take a go at building board, as well as some terrain. Been playing with miniatures since middle school, but never really got into the terrain side of things. I think that things turned out pretty well, so I thought that I'd share the end result.

Board is about 95% done, I still need to build a frame that will hold the sections together, and touch up the MDF that I added to the bottom of the tree sections.

giL9DdZ.jpg

The board is modular, and can be set up in a variety of ways. 

QTP1aKo.jpg

sB1rmnB.jpgVJJr7o8.jpg1sQilTB.jpgvlMpUip.jpgvlszJsY.jpgYHFYTks.jpg

My board was loosely inspired by the planet Batuu from the Disney concept images, so I made some trees and rock spires to match the aesthetic. Leafy trees would have been better, but I got these super cheap.  As I improve, I'll try my hand at some of those. 

oUlriBt.jpg

The buildings are from Imperial Terrain, and were awesome to work with.  I plan on making some more from scratch to flesh out the village feel a bit. 

2GZJfK5.jpg

qJK8KiZ.jpg

gsv4iUJ.jpg

Feedback and thoughts welcome! I also have a lot more pictures, if anyone is interested in seeing some WIP progress photos of the board or rock spires, or some custom minis. 

Kl1kGCK.jpg

Thanks guys,

MTFBWY

Edited by Rekar88
Added things that need to be completed.

40 minutes ago, OldSchoolEmpire said:

Hey Rekarr, love the table. I see you have an ATAT on the back table and I was wondering what brand/scale it was?

Looks like WotC. Refer to popcorn bucket ATAT thread for sizes

Hi @Lumberjack Nick,

Those are custom sculpts on some old WotC minis. 

9d4Im0Q.jpg

r0Qfgxw.jpg

Found a “Finn” and “Rey” here: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%2d-larran-jax~hfmaster-sf133&category=sci%2dfi-%26 weird-war~resin-masters-%2d-sci%2dfi

RfmGrkO.jpg

Haven’t finished converting the Rey yet. 

Also, none of these minis were painted by me. I sculpted Poe and Ren, but my brother did all the painting. 

Hope this helps! 

Edited by Rekar88
Credited painter of the minis

Hi @Copes,

They were all made out of either the pink foam or expanding spray foam, and carved with a utility knife.

The spires were expanding foam over a core (a scrap piece of wood about 1"x 1"x10"), and carved.

WcSH0ZS.jpg

Then covered in watered down drywall compound, added a few rocky bits with pink foam, painted and added green junk.

m6Cqnpc.jpg

The board and other rocks are just pink foam carved with the blade. 

zaB9K4f.jpg

As far as technique, I just sort of tried lots of angles, slicing the blade part way through and breaking off the rest, and trying to be random.

Here is a link to the video that I watched regarding the carving:

I used a similar approach with the pink foam, minus the step of coating them in drywall compound, as they are much less porous. 

1 hour ago, Starrapter said:

That's great work! I like how you made a Batuu table based on their models at Disney. What X-Wing is that? I want to have one for my table. 

Thanks @Starrapter,

That is the Revell SnapTite X-wing:

https://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-1632.html#.WleAqqinHIU

Pretty cheap and looks good, especially if you add a little weathering. Close to scale, but a tad small. Doesn't bother me though!

YiNHzyG.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rekar88 said:

Thanks @Starrapter,

That is the Revell SnapTite X-wing:

https://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-1632.html#.WleAqqinHIU

Pretty cheap and looks good, especially if you add a little weathering. Close to scale, but a tad small. Doesn't bother me though!

YiNHzyG.jpg

Had a look for that on ebay (in the uk) and cant seem to find it (cept for some from us with huge postage)

19 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Had a look for that on ebay (in the uk) and cant seem to find it (cept for some from us with huge postage)

Hmm, yeah I see that. Used to be a lot around here, but I think that they are a few years old now... I'll see if I can find one our local hobby shop. I'm looking for the Resistance A-wing too....

On 1/10/2018 at 8:43 PM, Rekar88 said:

Hi @Lumberjack Nick,

Those are custom sculpts on some old WotC minis. 

9d4Im0Q.jpg

r0Qfgxw.jpg

Found a “Finn” and “Rey” here: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%2d-larran-jax~hfmaster-sf133&category=sci%2dfi-%26 weird-war~resin-masters-%2d-sci%2dfi

RfmGrkO.jpg

Haven’t finished converting the Rey yet. 

Also, none of these minis were painted by me. I sculpted Poe and Ren, but my brother did all the painting. 

Hope this helps! 

Very awesome. Thanks for sharing!

10 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Holy Moly, I just checked the weather in your area and -11 F/-24 C? That's a little too cold for someone from California.

I've spent some time in single digit locations, but have never been in the negatives.

From someone who lives in a place almost as cold, I can tell you the difference between -5 and -15 is really not noticed.... you just bundle up the same and hope for the best knowing you’ll be miserable.

especially because my area is prone to strong wind chill.

41 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

From someone who lives in a place almost as cold, I can tell you the difference between -5 and -15 is really not noticed.... you just bundle up the same and hope for the best knowing you’ll be miserable.

Yeah, the wind is a much bigger deal once it gets into single digits and below.

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

No kidding, the wind can make -30C feel like -40C here on bad days.... Actually I'm pretty sure we don't even cancel school until its -40C, so I guess you get used to it? Summers are nice though

Edited by Rekar88