Kakita Shijin

I for one, would like an expanded GM Guidebook.

What's a good way to evaluate the projected usefulness of different skills in your campaign before you start? What are some parameters for balancing careers? How about a big list of careers with no titles? Which combination of PC roles work well for which kinds of settings? You know, gimme party types like, let's say Standard: Tank, Striker, Medic, Talker or Dungeon Crawl: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Thief.

What defense rating is comparable to what soak value? You know, all the stuff FFG has in spreadsheets for creating new content themselves ;)

That's what I want.

Oh, and setting books. Keep those comin' too (i.e. TAKE ALL MY MONEY PLEASE).

I think a mix of both would work well. Chapters 1 and 2 have various toolkit stuff (character options in 1, gear and other things in 2) while chapter 3 has more of the GM advice that Shijin wants. This is how the Star Wars splatbooks are laid out, and it generally works pretty well. They generally have their new rules (crafting etc) in chapter 3, but magic systems and talents would likely be in chapter 1 with Genesys.

Fantasy Flight seems to be opting for their usual approach to RPG's and releasing new rules within supplements. The crafting rules for Genesys are showing up in the Terrinoth supplement.

That said, I'd love a GM Guide book that expands on the toolkit from the core book.

3 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

Fantasy Flight seems to be opting for their usual approach to RPG's and releasing new rules within supplements. The crafting rules for Genesys are showing up in the Terrinoth supplement.

That said, I'd love a GM Guide book that expands on the toolkit from the core book.

I wouldn’t assume that setting-appropriate crafting rules won’t be in other setting books.

7 hours ago, Simon Retold said:

I wouldn’t assume that setting-appropriate crafting rules won’t be in other setting books.

Oh I'm sure there might be. The point I was trying to make was that instead of giving us the entire toolbox, they held back to put said tools into their supplement books, just like they do with Star Wars.

On the one hand I totally understand the choice to do this. It is a business, they need to make money, this is a great way of enticing people into buying their supplemental books.

On the other hand, the core rulebook was said to be a GM toolbox and I feel strongly about them leaving out a tool or two in the hopes that some would buy more. They could have taken out the majority of the tones "flavor text" and used those pages to give a couple more tools.

2 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

On the other hand, the core rulebook was said to be a GM toolbox and I feel strongly about them leaving out a tool or two in the hopes that some would buy more. They could have taken out the majority of the tones "flavor text" and used those pages to give a couple more tools.

I agree, but it could have been worse. Genesys is fairly comparable as a "starter" universal ruleset to GURPS 1st edition except GURPS 1e included only skill use, very basic character creation, movement, and combat. There was no genre information, no magic, tech, or anything else. The core rules specifically stated that this stuff would be available in other books. At least with Genesys, they give rules for creating talents, equipment, and archetypes plus sample magic and sample settings. Its not as detailed as it should be but the NDS system is simple enough to easily create your own stuff without much guidance.