Npmartian

Urgent Problem

5 hours ago, flyboymb said:

What if the empire wants to drop leaflet bombs on a remote village informing them of new lawn watering restrictions? Would that be ordinance ordnance?

True story, in the 1990s at West End Games there was a discussion if paper was common or in use  in the Star Wars Galaxy. 

4 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

True story, in the 1990s at West End Games there was a discussion if paper was common or in use  in the Star Wars Galaxy. 

Well the Wook at least says that one TIE Bomber can drop thousands of propaganda pamphlets. If they're electronic tablets, then the casualties are likely to be in the dozens if not hundreds due to cracked skulls.

Agreed, but West End Games predates Wookieepedia by 14 years when this topic was convered, we assumed there was paper because

1.  Before there were Jedi Holocrons in Canon, there was ‘The Journal of The Whills’ and we could only see that legendary text in other way but as a bound and sacred book.

2. There are trees on at least three planets in the OT. Four of you count the Christmas Special.

3.  At least on the Death Star,  ‘ahem’ people had to use the bathroom. (Yes we spent time looking for paper in the trash compactor scene.) 

10 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

the Empire would even suck at doing this....

9 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Yes because the new trilogy paints the republic in such a brilliant light...

I remember a book - I think it's one of Scott Adams' ones? - which was talking about conspiracy theories, and it said something like:

"Given how inutterably incompetent most governments appear to be at managing healthcare, trade, law and justice, social services, and most other basic facets of actually being a government, it's surprising what infinite ability and skill people seem prepared to credit them with for running vast secret programmes with breathtaking resources and funding carefully hidden from public view."

Whether or not the Empire managed to 'make the trains run on time' is not really recorded. The republic (old) certainly didn't, and it's implied that the republic (new) didn't really either, given how sizeable chunks of the republic (senators, corporations and star systems alike) seem to be tripping over one another to join the First Order instead.

11 hours ago, Npmartian said:

Yes. Also, legislation written in explosive ink is ordnance ordinance.

No, that's still ordinance ordnance. Legislation about legislation written in explosive ink would be an ordnance ordinance.

Well, technically it'd be an ordinance ordnance ordinance. But let's not start down that road.

Madness lies that way. And it's a short road.

11 hours ago, flyboymb said:

Can the empire fine the empire for breaking imperial law? Laws are for the common people. Nobody fined tarkin for creating a major navigational hazard in the alderaan system.

Because it's not a navigational hazard - after all, there's no reason through that part of the star system anymore, is there?

Ultimately, though, yes. You can complain about an imperial officer to his or her superior. Nobles, corporations, and influential crime bosses do do that and it often ends badly for the junior trying to do what he thought was the right thing in various "look, not every imperial officer was a [censored]!" stories.

Unfortunately, if the person you're complaining about is a Grand Moff, this doesn't leave you with many options - and certainly not one whose time you want to waste unless you're reeeaally sure they're going to agree with you that your complaint is justified.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

13 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

the Empire would even suck at doing this....

12 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Yes because the new trilogy paints the republic in such a brilliant light...

I am way on the surface and snippy about this topic. I was simply stating that the dropping of any ordinance, in this game at least, weapon or leaflet, the Empire would suck at it. ?

15 hours ago, flyboymb said:

Can the empire fine the empire for breaking imperial law? Laws are for the common people. Nobody fined tarkin for creating a major navigational hazard in the alderaan system.

That was road construction making room for the new Alderan Hyperspaceway using the new spherical imperial bulldozer. The ordinance for that work was put on display on Coruscant several months earlier, but nobody cared..

6 hours ago, flyboymb said:

Well the Wook at least says that one TIE Bomber can drop thousands of propaganda pamphlets. If they're electronic tablets, then the casualties are likely to be in the dozens if not hundreds due to cracked skulls.

There are things in between paper and tablets like plastic film for example

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

No, that's still ordinance ordnance. Legislation about legislation written in explosive ink would be an ordnance ordinance.

Well, technically it'd be an ordinance ordnance ordinance. But let's not start down that road.

Madness lies that way. And it's a short road.

I'm already insane. :P

11 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

1 hour ago, mcgreag said:

There are things in between paper and tablets like plastic film for example

Bingo.  Flimsi is Star Wars space-age paper:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flimsiplast

Edited by Darth Meanie

19 hours ago, SpikeSpiegel said:

Serious reply:

i memba three years ago when everyone was screaming "WE WANT BOMBS, TORPS, AND MISSILES TO BE PLAYABLE" and now we're at half circle.

I mean, there's playable, then there's "Lets power-creep even more with Harpoons, after we finally nerfed the broken Jumpmaster chasis."

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, there's playable, then there's "Lets power-creep even more with Harpoons, after we finally nerfed the broken Jumpmaster chasis."

But is there?

If they made Harpoons spend a target lock, no one would play them because of the lack of action economy and profiting/netting dice. If they made them 1 point higher, they'd sit around as binder chaff like Homing Missiles. If they took away the potential for splash damage, people would just run Mangler instead or use the points to bid for initiative or cram other ships/upgrades.

While I do believe Harpoons are powerful and effective, I don't think we should nerf them unless we reconsider the importance of ordinance and how much we actually want it in the game. Because once we ban Harpoons, people will still want to fly their Gunboats and make ordnance playable again, thus completing the circle of "muH metA" vs. "We want to play with these things"

Edited by SpikeSpiegel