Kleeg005

CR90 vs...any other Epic ship

It just occurred to me that of the (admittedly limited pool of) players I fly with regularly, only one owns a CR90.  And it's never seen the table.  Raiders galore, C-ROCs here and there, some Gozantis, even a GR-75.  Never a CR90.  And it's not due to any faction-bias; while there is some preference amongst the various players, we all play every faction at one point and another, even in our Epic games.  The Raider shows up very frequently, at least equaling all other Epic ships' appearances.  But never a CR90.  And so having never seen one in the wild, I have to ask, "Why would this be the case?"

My only thought would be "angle of attack."  The CR-90 is better at broadsides, and this makes driving her a little more challenging.  Also, while the turret gives a broad arc, it's not truly 360, so there is a BIG kill zone in the aft for fighters.

Having said all that, it's a good ship and has been very effective on the table.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Come to my area and I’ll show you a cr90 in action :-p

@Darth Meanie is correct - it’s not the easiest to fly well. It’s more like a pirate ship of the high seas than the combat units you’re used to flying in xwing. It needs to stay at distance and unleash from the side, while a raider can fly into the mess wrecking everything in its path. You never want enemy ships behind it or even in front of it really. 

It is really rewarding though when you can line up multiple hard points and the primary weapon all on a target .... it can crack most anything like an egg at range 5 if it’s agility is 2 or less and if the red dice are with you. The 2 agility ships tend to do better at survivability especially with turbo laser, but the agi 1 ships or other huge ships it’s really rough. 

Edited by ScummyRebel

Personally for a learner build I'd run:

Squadron 190 (300/100)
=====================
CR-90 Corvette (aft): CR-90 Corvette (aft) (40 + 21)
    + Courier Droid (0)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
    + Engineering Team (4)
    + Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
    + Optimized Generators (5)
CR-90 Corvette (fore): CR-90 Corvette (fore) (50 + 19)
    + Maul (3)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
Attack Shuttle: Ezra Bridger (20)

T/70 X-wing: Blue Squadron Novice (24 + 1)
    + R2 Astromech (1)
    + Integrated Astromech (0)
    + R2 Astromech (1)
    + R2 Astromech (1)
X-wing: Red Squadron Pilot (23 + 1)
    + Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
ARC-170: Braylen Stramm (25 + 2)
    + R4-D6 (1)
    + Inspiring Recruit (1)
    + Alliance Overhaul (0)

Set her up for a broadside and either wiggle with 1 banks or just slow roll with 2 straights. Should get 3 turns of hellish long range fire before energy/enemy movement cancels the guns (most epic games are decided in 2 turns of shooting but beware those few long games) backed up by a pile of relatively cheap 3 dice snubs to screen and hopefully delay the enemy for one more good turn of shooting from the cr90. Plus x wing type ships ain't bad in epic

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

I used this in epic in my last league match (Maul is missing on the corvette):

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!e!81:251,64,234,-1:-1:-1:;80:-1,125,65,90,91,83:9:21:U.86,U.-1;48:214,135,165:-1:-1:;46:135,251:-1:-1:;224::-1:-1:;31:235,72:-1:-1:;279:245,41,244,212:-1:33:;254:214,-1,126,255,-1,237,-1:53:25:U.245,u.117&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I won 300 to 66.  Nym and the Rebel bomber (deployed at PS 12), blocked the main corridor with bombs.  Nym also threw a scrambler missile to blunt the alpha strike.  Meanwhile, the corvette was throwing a lot of attack dice and sniping ships left and right.  It was frighteningly efficient.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:05 AM, Darth Meanie said:

My only thought would be "angle of attack."  The CR-90 is better at broadsides, and this makes driving her a little more challenging.  Also, while the turret gives a broad arc, it's not truly 360, so there is a BIG kill zone in the aft for fighters.

Having said all that, it's a good ship and has been very effective on the table.

Not to mention that the CR-90 is the only ship to be missing the 1 straight maneuver. CR-90 is sort of funny, You really want it to start in one corner then just move along the horizontal edge of the table and just hit broad side out of broad side while your star fighters start on the other and try to push all other ships out of your deployment zone. Hopefully you do enough damage before the ship is destroyed or moves off the table edge.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Not to mention that the CR-90 is the only ship to be missing the 1 straight maneuver. CR-90 is sort of funny, You really want it to start in one corner then just move along the horizontal edge of the table and just hit broad side out of broad side while your star fighters start on the other and try to push all other ships out of your deployment zone. Hopefully you do enough damage before the ship is destroyed or moves off the table edge.

And thus, it is super cool that a single ship creates a particular, expressive playstyle.  Need more of that in the game.

On 10/01/2018 at 9:24 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

Personally for a learner build I'd run:

Squadron 190 (300/100)
=====================
CR-90 Corvette (aft): CR-90 Corvette (aft) (40 + 21)
    + Courier Droid (0)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
    + Engineering Team (4)
    + Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
    + Optimized Generators (5)
CR-90 Corvette (fore): CR-90 Corvette (fore) (50 + 19)
    + Maul (3)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
    + Single Turbolasers (8)
Attack Shuttle: Ezra Bridger (20)

+ R2 Astromech (1)
    + R2 Astromech (1)
    + R2 Astromech (1)
ARC-170: Braylen Stramm (25 + 2)
    + R4-D6 (1)
    + Inspiring Recruit (1)
    + Alliance Overhaul (0)

Set her up for a broadside and either wiggle with 1 banks or just slow roll with 2 straights. Should get 3 turns of hellish long range fire before energy/enemy movement cancels the guns (most epic games are decided in 2 turns of shooting but beware those few long games) backed up by a pile of relatively cheap 3 dice snubs to screen and hopefully delay the enemy for one more good turn of shooting from the cr90. Plus x wing type ships ain't bad in epic

How can Maul work on a Huge ships ? You receive ZERO stress tokens (you can't, as per rules) and the ability says "reroll as many dice as stress tokens received" so = ZERO rerolls.

Edited by ArakisTheHutt

1 hour ago, ArakisTheHutt said:

How can Maul work on a Huge ships ? You receive ZERO stress tokens (you can't, as per rules) and the ability says "reroll as many dice as stress tokens received" so = ZERO rerolls.

Not quite true.  The way the rule reads if you can't have stress tokens, and they are immediately returned to the box.  Which means the CR-90 gets them, discovers they are irrelevant, and discards them.  Stupid wording that creates created a loophole, unfortunately.

See below.  I was trying to find the new FAQ, but then I had to work at work.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth Meanie

1 hour ago, ArakisTheHutt said:

By the old RAW it worked because the wording for tokens on epics was receive then immediately discard. That let you recieve as much stress as you want then discard it all.

New faq disallows it. 

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Well there other reason besides maybe flying it well... is to consider that maybe its just not worth owning.

I like epic. I play epic. I own every large ship except the CR90. Why? Because there is nothing worth having in that expansion, besides the ship. When I buy an epic pack I want stuff I can use in addition to the ship.

The Cr90 has no fighters. All the upgrades are mediocre at best (C3p0 I got two of because FFG was just giving them away). So why buy the thing? The transport is way more fun anyway.

55 minutes ago, Gibbilo said:

Well there other reason besides maybe flying it well... is to consider that maybe its just not worth owning.

I like epic. I play epic. I own every large ship except the CR90. Why? Because there is nothing worth having in that expansion, besides the ship. When I buy an epic pack I want stuff I can use in addition to the ship.

The Cr90 has no fighters. All the upgrades are mediocre at best (C3p0 I got two of because FFG was just giving them away). So why buy the thing? The transport is way more fun anyway.

Nothing worth having?  NOTHING WORTH HAVING?!?

I must have it ALLLLLLLLL!!!

Edited by pickirk01

4 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

There's a CR90 in that pack. :)

I can understand not wanting to pay full price, but there are plenty of cheap second hand ones available.

(Gotta have them all...)

On 3/9/2018 at 1:12 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

By the old RAW it worked because the wording for tokens on epics was receive then immediately discard. That let you recieve as much stress as you want then discard it all.

New faq disallows it. 

Can you point me to where this is in the FAQ?

36 minutes ago, tsefardayah said:

Can you point me to where this is in the FAQ?

Faq 4.0

page 4

Tokens:

Focus, evade, and stress tokens.

Huge ships cannot be assigned focus evade or stress tokens therefore huge ships cannot pay costs that require being assigned one of these tokens (such as zuckuss upgrade card)

Immediately below that they ok esege.

11 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Faq 4.0

page 4

Tokens:

Focus, evade, and stress tokens.

Huge ships cannot be assigned focus evade or stress tokens therefore huge ships cannot pay costs that require being assigned one of these tokens (such as zuckuss upgrade card)

Immediately below that they ok esege.

Ah, thanks. Not to be pedantic, but for others looking for this, it's on page 4 at this link https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/3d/45/3d4558ad-1116-4ec6-a1a9-a4b5bd961520/x-wing_huge_ship_rules_40.pdf under the "Rules" header with the link text "X-Wing Huge Ship Rules." I was looking under the "FAQ" header.