Aetheriac

Terrinoth Lore through Genesys!!

While I have enjoyed the Star Wars system FFG put out, I have yet to pick up Gensys.  I will however be picking up Realms of Terrinoth specifically for the lore.  I was hoping to glean some from Legacy of Dragonholt, but none of my local retailers seem to be able to get a copy.

! R EXCITE1

Just now, Govrek said:

While I have enjoyed the Star Wars system FFG put out, I have yet to pick up Gensys.  I will however be picking up Realms of Terrinoth specifically for the lore.  I was hoping to glean some from Legacy of Dragonholt, but none of my local retailers seem to be able to get a copy.

! R EXCITE1

I'll probably get both books for all of the rules, but mainly for the lore.

I do enjoy reading about different rules systems.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Would you need both books?  I'm guessing you would.

To play the game? Yeah. The core rules of the game as far as how the dice work and how combat is structured and all of that is going to be in the Core Rulebook. Heck, I'm not convinced the full character creation rules will be in this Terrinoth book. This is pretty much a book of lore, GM tools, and supplements to the main rules to aim it at a fantasy setting.

If you are just interested in the Terrinoth lore and such, you don't need the Genesys core rulebook. Unless they do something silly in the Terrinoth book and tell you that you can find the human, elf, and orc races in the core book. My guess is that any information printed in the core book in regards to fantasy settings will be repeated in the Terrinoth book.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

Getting the Terrinoth book just for lore is worth it.  But I know once I have that, I'll want to take it out for a spin.  I imagine the core gensys book has all the core functions and the Terrinoth book expands upon that.  

Now that I've read the announcement article and seen the price tag, I'm a little cold. I would totally pay $50 for a full-color book filled from cover to cover with information on Mennara. However, I'm not feeling quite so excited about spending $50 for 1/3 of a book about Mennara. I want to believe they'll still put out a book like they did for the Arkham Horror and Android universes.

As a source/campaign book I would kind of expect this mix.  There will also be lore scattered throughout the remaining 2/3s of rules and such, as the Genesys Core book should take care of most of the systems.

I look forward to the interpretation of magic and the runes, as well as maps, factions, critters, etc....

Edited by Aetheriac

13 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Now that I've read the announcement article and seen the price tag, I'm a little cold. I would totally pay $50 for a full-color book filled from cover to cover with information on Mennara. However, I'm not feeling quite so excited about spending $50 for 1/3 of a book about Mennara. I want to believe they'll still put out a book like they did for the Arkham Horror and Android universes.

$50 is a little steep just for the lore piece. Still compared to other well-known game systems that publish a lot of lore, I've seen books out there that cost more.

As for the mechanics piece, there is a ton that won't matter at all to an RW player. Still, it will be interesting to gauge relative effectiveness of different units, heroes, monsters, items, etc., by looking at their stats.

2 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

$50 is a little steep just for the lore piece. Still compared to other well-known game systems that publish a lot of lore, I've seen books out there that cost more.

As for the mechanics piece, there is a ton that won't matter at all to an RW player. Still, it will be interesting to gauge relative effectiveness of different units, heroes, monsters, items, etc., by looking at their stats.

I agree it may not interest most RW:TMG players.  As a rule system/campaign setting junkie, it interests me, greatly.  Getting to add to my world-view of RW:TMG is an added bonus.

5 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

This could also be something that a group of RWM players buy together and share. It's not like a resource that you'll need your own copy of during a game or planning. Heck, if we can split core boxes we can certainly loan a book back and forth.

Any way we can, GET THE LORE OUT!!

If you haven't, go read the release article for the new Edge of Empire / Age of Rebellion / Force and Destiny sourcebook. ( https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/22/the-rebellion-is-born/ ) This sounds like it's going to be heaped with lots of great lore and background, and is exactly the sort of thing I hope we get out of the Genesys System Terrinoth setting book.