dresdinseven

Realms of Terrinoth Official Sourcebook

I'm not saying the book couldn't have a good content, but I'm not sure about how the new content will be really new based on the core. And we as a community are able, like we already do, to create good material. There're a lot of active members who are very creative and able to hand new things with the tool box provided by the core. I didn't help more cause I haven't mine yet :/

Edited by Bellyon

4 hours ago, Mator said:

If it's a setting book, then I want there to be a lot of setting material in it. Particularly since I'm not familiar with the other FFG product lines for the setting. Though I do understand many people would want Genesys Fantasy, Genesys Space, Genesys Horror, etc books. But I think FFG has some rich settings and they're trying to promote them.

Also, if you look at Savage Worlds I always felt the setting specific material did a better job promoting the system than anything. People seem more interested in Deadlands, Rippers, HellFrost, etc, than just generic core + fantasy for building their own setting.

Without seeing sales numbers to back that up, at best it’s anecdotal evidence.

Even if it were true though, the fact remains that while they did produce many wonderful setting books, they also made the generic genre books.

This is purely personal preference, but I would like to see genesys supported as a generic/universal system as well, and not just as the core rule book that powers their own settings.

Edited by TheMan72344

I'm looking forward to not having to kitbash my own mounted combat rules. :D Among other things. A bestiary will be nice too, although creatures are very easy to put together, compared to creating and balancing new talents.

2 hours ago, TheMan72344 said:

This is purely personal preference, but I would like to see genesys supported as a generic/universal system as well, and not just as the core rule book that powers their own settings.

The same, actually. I like the Savage Worlds companions quite a bit. I'm really hoping we see a lot of Genesys content, from third parties too. Some third party companies(Triple Ace) actually makes some really good content for SW.

29 minutes ago, Direach said:

compared to creating and balancing new talents.

From my own musings on Talents I have to say it’s much easier to balance talents for a single setting or theme than it is to make Talents that are entirely generic. In particular any talents that change the characteristic used for a skill have an entirely different appeal to players in different settings.

Take for example the ability to use Agility for Melee Combat checks, in a fantasy setting Melee Weapons are the most powerful and Ranged Weapons generally have limitations, therefore Agility is less of a must have and it works. Put that same talent into a Modern or SciFi setting and things change drastically. Piloting, Vehicle Weapons and the most powerful personal Weapons all use Agility, adding Melee to that just makes Agility’s dominance even greater.

I really think there will be a lot of talents in this book, many will tie into game mechanics that only fit Fantasy, but even those that don’t will be tailored to the fantasy theme. When looking at these GM’s will need to be prepared to at least change their tier when using them in a different setting.

17 hours ago, CaptainRaspberry said:

Aw. My bet was Android as the first setting book.

Still, looks cool. Not sure how interested I am in it; I feel like there are other systems that scratch my fantasy itch. But I'll pay attention to more articles and pick it up if it seems like a good fit for a campaign.

I'll save my efforts for that.

In the meantime, I have Shadowrun Anarchy and Starfinder to keep me warm.

I'm personally really looking forward to this.  I've wanted to start a fantasy game, and while I don't mind creating a setting myself, I don't want (or have time) to deal with statting out everything needed: gear, races, spells, talents, etc.  I doubt I'll use their world, except for mining a few ideas, but I'm interested in the rest.  

For a $50 price point I expect this to be a pretty meaty tome.  Much more then your standard EotE supplement.  

19 hours ago, dresdinseven said:

At the price point they're asking for, it better be a stand alone book. Star Wars sourcebooks are 30 bucks cheaper than the core book (half price).

What you are missing is this ruleset is doing the EXACT opposite as the SWRPG. The base rules are cheaper because it is the basic way the game works all of the simple rules to make the game work. Then the meat of the rules will be in setting books which will include all manner of special little rules for the setting.

Look at that photo of the book... look at the spine. This thing is going to be the size of the SWRPG Core books (hence the Price). It will literally be the small 6 page Fantasy bit in the base game expanded to like 500 pages. Keep in mind, there will be TONS of stuff about the setting... a map, a gazetteer, races in detail... etc

Without a doubt require the base book.

20 hours ago, CaptainRaspberry said:

Aw. My bet was Android as the first setting book.

Still, looks cool. Not sure how interested I am in it; I feel like there are other systems that scratch my fantasy itch. But I'll pay attention to more articles and pick it up if it seems like a good fit for a campaign.

Nah... RPGs Started with D&D, a fantasy setting... this made the most sense.

19 hours ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

I want them all!!! 

These sourcebooks cannot come out fast enough!

SAME

12 minutes ago, BrashFink said:

Look at that photo of the book... look at the spine. This thing is going to be the size of the SWRPG Core books (hence the Price). It will literally be the small 6 page Fantasy bit in the base game expanded to like 500 pages. Keep in mind, there will be TONS of stuff about the setting... a map, a gazetteer, races in detail... etc

Without a doubt require the base book.

Nah... RPGs Started with D&D, a fantasy setting... this made the most sense.

SAME

That is the cover art of the box placed on a 3d "book".  It is not a picture of a completed book.

1 hour ago, Split Light said:

For a $50 price point I expect this to be a pretty meaty tome.  Much more then your standard EotE supplement.  

If the page count is the main subject for the price, the fantasy setting book should have about 310 pages.

48 minutes ago, Doomgrin75 said:

That is the cover art of the box placed on a 3d "book".  It is not a picture of a completed book.

Agreed... however the price point is what is what is making me suspect the size.

21 hours ago, TheMan72344 said:

Some of what's in this book does sound appealing, I just don't want to have to pay for pages of a setting that I'm never going to use. I'm holding out hope that they release material that isn't setting specific.

My hope is an elaborate magic system which can be used in other settings as well including a ton of magic related talents. To me it's  the single most important aspect for any setting. Everything else is quite nicely covered by the CRB.

21 hours ago, DarthGM said:

Eeeeehhhh, there you may be in for some disappointment. It sounds like a fair portion of this book is going to be setting material and backstory. My guess may be 20-25%?  *shrug*

But if I read this teaser article correctly this chapter will also include species and subspecies. Could work very nicely as examples for any other fantasy setting.

3 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

But if I read this teaser article correctly this chapter will also include species and subspecies. Could work very nicely as examples for any other fantasy setting.

I'm talking about pure fluff; backstory and setting history. Absolutely you'll be able to use the species and sub-species; I'm not including that in my estimate.

8 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

I'm talking about pure fluff; backstory and setting history. Absolutely you'll be able to use the species and sub-species; I'm not including that in my estimate.

And I will be highly interested in the stats of really big creatures like dragons. The rest of the book should be setting agnostic and thus very helpful.

10 minutes ago, RARodger said:

I've been curious about digging through Descent scenarios and seeing if I could turn them into full RPG-sessions, or Runebound quest/event cards, so I'm looking forward to this.

This is something I’ve been considering as well. Dragonholt sounds like it’ll convert into a Genesys campaign easily enough, but I wonder if there are any other gems to be found in the other Runebound products.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:23 PM, Big_Pete009 said:

I feel that FFG have missed a step with this, they should of had this book out the week after The Core Rules landed. just kept the lid on the release and then bang here is the Fantasy Source book, then rolled other settings out through the year.

I have spent a lot of time home brewing my Fantasy game, so will be waiting for the PDF of this one to come out before I get it.

With you on that one.  I think it would have been worth the delay, as some people will lose interest in the meantime and move on to other games that have a little bit more meat.  It actually caught me by surprise how fast they came out with the Core Book, considering it usually takes a year or so for their books to come out after they announce them.  Maybe not having to worry about licensing means this book might actually come out when they say it will.

This was the first setting book I was expecting to get released and, I must admit, the one I was the least interested in. I'm pretty much burned out on high fantasy when it comes to pen and paper RPGs. Seems like that is the only setting people in my area are willing to play.

Despite that, I still plan to buy the book for the additional rules. I just hope they don't all end up being repeated in all the other books. It would be irritating to spend money on future books and see the same rules get repeated again and again with slightly different wording to make it fit the setting. Example: swapping out crafting healing potions with crafting healing patches and the rest of the description being identical.

Ugh, this ended up being more negative than intended. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the book but I am hoping that one day we get an official Fallout book. It's my best hope of playing something that isn't high fantasy on a regular basis.

On the topic of generic campaign books. My guess is that they'll let the setting books (Runebound, Android, etc.) sit on their own for a while, then release a genre book for it. Most likely with all (or mostly) new content - new magic systems, a different take on crafting (buildings and ships instead of personal items?) and a unique bestiary and a bunch of new archetypes ranging from generic to really weird. Ideally, it would be lower priced than the setting book, possibly even than the core book.

This is complete guesswork, but it seems to make sense from a financial perspective - get consumers with the pricy setting book, then release the genre book but with mostly unique content so it cuts down on discontent from those who bought the setting book. It's also what I would hope to happen, though with as little gap between the setting and genre books as possible (same day is unlikely, because they'd cut into each other's sales, but a month or two might be a reasonable gap)

so I was wondering...

Terrinoth integrated into the Dragonstar empire?

What do people think about this? I mean you will have to deviate from the cannon lore of up-and-coming books that expand on the future of Terrinoth, but if I remember correctly, Dragonstar had players come from generic fantasy (and not necessarily the same homeworld). I feel like a really well fleshed out fantasy setting that was a common background would give players an excuse to go out and adventure because they share a homeworld they don't want the Dragonstar empire to mess with too much.

anyway just putting it out there to see how stupid I get called :-).