dresdinseven

Realms of Terrinoth Official Sourcebook

10 minutes ago, TheMan72344 said:

Some of what's in this book does sound appealing, I just don't want to have to pay for pages of a setting that I'm never going to use. I'm holding out hope that they release material that isn't setting specific.

Eeeeehhhh, there you may be in for some disappointment. It sounds like a fair portion of this book is going to be setting material and backstory. My guess may be 20-25%?  *shrug*

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

So.... you guys would rather pay for pages of rules that are duplicated in the core book you already have?

I'm not really sure how you get to this statement from the point I was making.

My point is that I would prefer FFG release a book that further expands on using Genesys for fantasy games without the book being specific to a setting.

Page 6 of Genesys book:

You can create your own setting and run your own game just using the material in this book. However, we also designed it to be paired with setting supplements. A setting supplement presents a single setting (with new character options, items, adversaries, and environments) in more exhaustive detail, while relying on this book to provide the core rules for playing the game.

Basically, just the same thing as the D&D (specially 3rd edition) campaign settings.

In the other hand, +1 for a detailed bestiary included in the setting book.

12 minutes ago, TheMan72344 said:

I'm not really sure how you get to this statement from the point I was making.

My point is that I would prefer FFG release a book that further expands on using Genesys for fantasy games without the book being specific to a setting.

I was more commenting on the guy saying he wanted this book to include the core rules. 

I feel that FFG have missed a step with this, they should of had this book out the week after The Core Rules landed. just kept the lid on the release and then bang here is the Fantasy Source book, then rolled other settings out through the year.

I have spent a lot of time home brewing my Fantasy game, so will be waiting for the PDF of this one to come out before I get it.

Just now, Forgottenlore said:

I was more commenting on the guy saying he wanted this book to include the core rules. 

Mostly so it can be a total package if someone pulled the book off the shelf at a FLGS. While reprinted rules are a drag to us who own the CRB, to anyone who wants to pick up the book and stick with that one setting its much more optimal.  That, and I've always found single volume core books to be more appealing.

Maybe I'm looking at this backwards.  Is it so that when a person looks at the Terrinoth book and says "hmmm, I need a CRB to play this, that's a drag" they then think "Hey the CRB cheaper than the book I'm actually interested in playing, so it's not too bad."

Actually, that'd be a good strategy because I bet when Netrunner drops alot of people will suddenly become aware of Genesys as a product, instead of just another thing that makes "not Netrunner" news articles from time to time.

If it's a setting book, then I want there to be a lot of setting material in it. Particularly since I'm not familiar with the other FFG product lines for the setting. Though I do understand many people would want Genesys Fantasy, Genesys Space, Genesys Horror, etc books. But I think FFG has some rich settings and they're trying to promote them.

Also, if you look at Savage Worlds I always felt the setting specific material did a better job promoting the system than anything. People seem more interested in Deadlands, Rippers, HellFrost, etc, than just generic core + fantasy for building their own setting.

43 minutes ago, Shirys said:

So far, i guess you have to come up with your own.

This is typical of most RPG's. Only a few, mostly D&D and Pathfinder, have much in the way published adventures/modules. Usually you are lucky if a company makes even a couple just to get you started. Published adventures for different systems were more common in the 1980's and 1990's but not as much now. Usually you see excellent game systems but little in the way of modules. Even FFG's Star Wars only has about 6 modules where the D6 version of SW (also very popular 30 years ago) had dozens. But then, most modules these days are combat slogs anyway.

22 minutes ago, lyinggod said:

This is typical of most RPG's. Only a few, mostly D&D and Pathfinder, have much in the way published adventures/modules. Usually you are lucky if a company makes even a couple just to get you started. Published adventures for different systems were more common in the 1980's and 1990's but not as much now. Usually you see excellent game systems but little in the way of modules. Even FFG's Star Wars only has about 6 modules where the D6 version of SW (also very popular 30 years ago) had dozens. But then, most modules these days are combat slogs anyway.

I really wish we could see the return of RPG Magazines. Unfortunately, at this point Forums like these are the closest we get to it.

Well, this book must have cool new info, but I think just 33% I really would use. I don't want a new scenario and I'm not sure they'll offer a true new content. If it gonna be just the regular rules of Genesys or small variations, nothing new under the sun.

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

Eeeeehhhh, there you may be in for some disappointment. It sounds like a fair portion of this book is going to be setting material and backstory. My guess may be 20-25%?  *shrug*

If the entire chapter one is a history of Terrinoth and the entire chapter three is a location guide then there’s at least 2/3 of the book setting specific. That doesn’t mean some is not able to be used in other settings, but that’s a lot of material.

Im really looking forward to this book, Fantasy is such an enjoyable setting for me. Having a book about an entire world I know very little about will be so much fun to read. I actually don’t expect too many surprises in the chapter two crunch, but I’m happy just to have official material.

Looking at the two product photos the spine of each looks very similar in thickness, if so then that’s a huge source book.

1 hour ago, TheMan72344 said:

Some of what's in this book does sound appealing, I just don't want to have to pay for pages of a setting that I'm never going to use. I'm holding out hope that they release material that isn't setting specific.

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

Yeah, I wouldn't hold out hope for any non-setting specific material. That's a failure to market their own IPs.

Reading through the description, I really doubt this will have the core rules. In the "mechanics" discussion, they talk about extra material that expands on what was in core book - new this and added that. I think it will completely new material.

I like the "rest of the world" stuff, and would love to see further sourceooks focusing on stuff like that.

While many of the races found in Realms of Terrinoth are featured in the fantasy section of the Genesys Core Rulebook, Realms of Terrinothexpands the resources available to characters for these species while introducing brand-new ones, like cat-folk and gnomes. New careers like Mage and Scoundrel bring a true fantasy flavor to your Genesys adventures, alongside rules for mounted combat and Heroic Abilities that let you perform singular, wondrous feats! Realms of Terrinoth also introduces a full armory of new gear, weapons, skills, talents, and more for your fantasy setting. Everything from crossbows to halberds to great axes are introduced in this book, and each of them can be used in a variety of settings. Look for a deeper look at these customization options in future previews of Realms of Terrinoth!

Another new addition to the Genesys system found in Realms of Terrinoth is rules for crafting and alchemy. Assuming you have the proper tools and equipment, your character can make a mechanics check to craft a new item. Surrounding circumstances—like superior materials or crafting under pressure—may add boost and setback dice, and a chart within the Realms of Terrinoth book details the various effects of Triumphs and Failure symbols. Alchemy can be used in a similar manner to prepare elixirs, poisons, salves, unguents, and other concoctions detailed in the Realms of Terrinoth book.

I'm looking forward to this for my own fantasy games but it's a shame that rules on crafting were kept entirely out of the core book. I would have thought that crafting is a feature that would be more useful in the general system book rather than just in a fantasy sourcebook.

That small gripe aside, I'm looking forward to more monsters and more magic.