dresdinseven

Realms of Terrinoth Official Sourcebook

Exciting!  I'm deeply in love with dragons, so this is fairly awesome!

Although it appears that the dragons will be mainly antagonists, and there are unlikely to be rules for playing as dragons...which I'm not so stoked about.  I hate stories where dragons are the villains.  Where are my dragon heroes, gosh darn it :P !

But still, I'll probably be getting it, if only to scratch my completionist itch :) .

7 minutes ago, CaptainRaspberry said:

Aw. My bet was Android as the first setting book.

Still, looks cool. Not sure how interested I am in it; I feel like there are other systems that scratch my fantasy itch. But I'll pay attention to more articles and pick it up if it seems like a good fit for a campaign.

Really?  With the GenCon module being a Terrinoth setting?

7 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

Is this a stand alone book or a supplement?  A $50 stand alone book is reasonable, but a $90 buy in for a genre seems really steep.

...it depends on how much they cram into there. I kinda hope they don't reprint all the rules, but I guess we'll see.

Looks like a bunch of lore for their setting, new species, expanded armory, new talents, mounted combat, Heroic Abilities, crafting rules (which, based on the SW crafting rules, may be pretty hefty), alchemy rules, and expanded magic, and probably something I missed. There will probably also be a GM section for running games in Terrinoth; (hopefully) a sample adventure or modular encounters. Maybe a section on using the material in non-Terrinoth fantasy games as well.

This book is going to hit like a truck as far as content is concerned, at least.

1 minute ago, dresdinseven said:

The product page doesn't say "This is not a stand-alone game. A Genesys Core Rulebook is required to play." so I think this is a stand alone book. Plus the price point is closer to a Star Wars core rule book.

The cover sayings its a Genesys "Campaign Setting" and the header of the article calls it a "sourcebook". Typically standalone games will say something like "powered by". I think you are jumping to conclusions. Its a world and genre book, not a standalone.

3 minutes ago, lyinggod said:

The cover sayings its a Genesys "Campaign Setting" and the header of the article calls it a "sourcebook". Typically standalone games will say something like "powered by". I think you are jumping to conclusions. Its a world and genre book, not a standalone.

At the price point they're asking for, it better be a stand alone book. Star Wars sourcebooks are 30 bucks cheaper than the core book (half price).  Genesys is missing alot of "needed" content, but not to the point where a supplement would cost 25% more than the core book itself.

1 minute ago, lyinggod said:

I take it you dont play D&D or Pathfinder :P This is a extraordinary bargain compared to those endless money pits

I do, but I never see the books go for the $50 MSRP "in the wild", always much less.  Actually the site suggests a price, and then has an Amazon link right on the product page which lists it for 40% less (lol).  But, FFG is much firmer with their prices.  So I guess both come to a $90 dollar total for the "core set", but it just feels like a harsher sticker shock for this system, especially when compared to the pricing scheme put forth by their other RPG lines.

11 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

So I guess both come to a $90 dollar total for the "core set", but it just feels like a harsher sticker shock for this system, especially when compared to the pricing scheme put forth by their other RPG lines.

… also known as $60 less than the MSRP on the three core D&D5E books. Or around $20 below their cheapest price on Amazon.

Edited by Simon Retold

14 minutes ago, Simon Retold said:

… also known as $60 less than the MSRP on the three core D&D5E books.

If you're paying $150 and MSRP for your DnD core set, I really don't know what to tell you... :unsure:

Edited by dresdinseven
You're still overpaying $40 if you can only get $20 in savings

5 minutes ago, Simon Retold said:

… also known as $60 less than the MSRP on the three core D&D5E books. Or around $20 than their cheapest price on Amazon.

If the adversaries section of this book is anything like what I've seen in the Star Wars books the extra cost of D&D5E is well worth it for a dedicated monsters book.

17 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

At the price point they're asking for, it better be a stand alone book. Star Wars sourcebooks are 30 bucks cheaper than the core book (half price).  Genesys is missing alot of "needed" content, but not to the point where a supplement would cost 25% more than the core book itself.

I do, but I never see the books go for the $50 MSRP "in the wild", always much less.  Actually the site suggests a price, and then has an Amazon link right on the product page which lists it for 40% less (lol).  But, FFG is much firmer with their prices.  So I guess both come to a $90 dollar total for the "core set", but it just feels like a harsher sticker shock for this system, especially when compared to the pricing scheme put forth by their other RPG lines.

Are you serious? I would love if this was $50 of completely new and non-reprinted material. I already have the rules, I don't want to buy them again for every setting book they produce.

I mean, if that's what they do, that's what they do. Still, I'm hoping for $50 of brand new material. A $50 sourcebook would be like getting a Career Book and a Setting Book all in one from Star Wars (without the Lucasfilm tax to boot!).

Plus look at D&D; that's at least $90 to get all the books you need to run the game (PH, DMG, MM).

5 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

Are you serious? I would love if this was $50 of completely new and non-reprinted material. I already have the rules, I don't want to buy them again for every setting book they produce.

I mean, if that's what they do, that's what they do. Still, I'm hoping for $50 of brand new material. A $50 sourcebook would be like getting a Career Book and a Setting Book all in one from Star Wars (without the Lucasfilm tax to boot!).

Plus look at D&D; that's at least $90 to get all the books you need to run the game (PH, DMG, MM).

If there's a setting and career book's worth of content, then yeah, the $50 price tag might be worth it, but that's going to have to be alot of stuff, with a well filled bestiary.  But it's definitely above my "oh, why not?" price range, so  I'm holding my money for the Netrunner book.  I'm going to wind up eating my own words when I buy this anyways because it does look super cool.

I am excited. Sounds like they'll deliver a lot of stuff that we are trying to develop ourselves here in the forum. Definitely looking forward to this. Also, I think 50 USD sounds reasonable, even in addition to the core rulebook. And I hope that they don't repeat the core rules. I have those already.

2 minutes ago, TheMan72344 said:

Some of what's in this book does sound appealing, I just don't want to have to pay for pages of a setting that I'm never going to use. I'm holding out hope that they release material that isn't setting specific.

Things like the crafting, alchemy, and mounted combat rules look like they'll be pretty general.

Just now, Swordbreaker said:

Things like the crafting, alchemy, and mounted combat rules look like they'll be pretty general.

Yeah, but like TheMan said I'm only interested in that part, not the setting, so hoping for some way to get only the mechanics.