Sign in to follow this  
Whipporwill

Night of the Zealot Redux

I'm really happy to see this product, storage being a problem for me and being a fan of the LOTR LCG nightmare pack, not so much for the game itself as for the beautiful illustrations that bring more diversity to the scenarios. However, I'm afraid of one thing, the uneven treatment of scenarios;

We can see on the image near a dozen places, a calendar card and clearly more than a ghoul specific to the Gathering scenario.
the second one already reveals that there will be at least 3 new hidden cultists, not counting the new betrayals. On the other hand, I have the impression that the 3 rd scenario is the poorest in novelty, no clean encounter cards unveiled, nor of act card or agenda, only 4 places according to the image, which could take place there. It's just an impression, but I expected mostly novelties for this scenario, only to be mechanically a little wobbly at times, but with enemies torn off the theme (the monsters of other old ones, as if could have 1 or 2 proper to him, and just back ghouls and cultists) I would have liked a new Umordoth.

The other question I ask myself is what form for the other expansions ?? I can not see a single product to adapt a cycle of 8 scenarios . on the other hand, I do not see people buying an extension more expensive than a deluxe. the other solution would then be to reduce the content as much as possible, but then the replayability supposed to be brought by this new product. So I see either the campaign divided into 2, but for 4 scenarios you have to either increase the price, or decrease the content which I do not like. Either divided into 3, a first that covers the deluxe with reusable ennemy and treachery for the rest and the rest of the cycle in 2 parts, 4 boxes, 2 scenarios each, for less, or more content.

22 hours ago, warmdown said:

You guys think with this expansion I don't need to buy a second core to be able to play with four players?

If you've bought one of everything and get this box, you can play a 4 player game though your token pools would be small.

22 minutes ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

What would be the benefits of having the achievement system?  

In theory, it's possible there's some kind of in-game reward (xp, healing, resources, card draw, etc)... but my guess is that it's simply there to give something for players who like to play the same scenario over and over something interesting to do.

1 hour ago, phorcys12 said:

I'm really happy to see this product, storage being a problem for me and being a fan of the LOTR LCG nightmare pack, not so much for the game itself as for the beautiful illustrations that bring more diversity to the scenarios. However, I'm afraid of one thing, the uneven treatment of scenarios;

We can see on the image near a dozen places, a calendar card and clearly more than a ghoul specific to the Gathering scenario.
the second one already reveals that there will be at least 3 new hidden cultists, not counting the new betrayals. On the other hand, I have the impression that the 3 rd scenario is the poorest in novelty, no clean encounter cards unveiled, nor of act card or agenda, only 4 places according to the image, which could take place there. It's just an impression, but I expected mostly novelties for this scenario, only to be mechanically a little wobbly at times, but with enemies torn off the theme (the monsters of other old ones, as if could have 1 or 2 proper to him, and just back ghouls and cultists) I would have liked a new Umordoth.

The other question I ask myself is what form for the other expansions ?? I can not see a single product to adapt a cycle of 8 scenarios . on the other hand, I do not see people buying an extension more expensive than a deluxe. the other solution would then be to reduce the content as much as possible, but then the replayability supposed to be brought by this new product. So I see either the campaign divided into 2, but for 4 scenarios you have to either increase the price, or decrease the content which I do not like. Either divided into 3, a first that covers the deluxe with reusable ennemy and treachery for the rest and the rest of the cycle in 2 parts, 4 boxes, 2 scenarios each, for less, or more content.

Devourer  also uses both Ghouls and Dark Cult. So I don't think the encounter deck needs much more changes with the 2 new sets.

The changes in previous scenarios could also effect Devourer. Such as new cultists and that. 

Also new locations would be a huge change in the scenario. Especially if it is more than just more woods, which seems likely.  A new Umordoth would be cool though.

I think the extension would be more subtle for other campaigns. Probably a greater focus on the neutral encounter sets being upgraded; Especially the most frequently occurrng sets like the Beyond or Sorceries. Maybe a few cards in each scenario to mix things up, And different versions of the professors/necronomicon maybe.

There isn' as much time or resources to fiddle with an 8 scenario campaign as opposed to the Core Set which every player will have access to. 

They could also alter the Campaign Guide itself. Move encounter sets around so O'Bannon's  gang shows  up more, or more abominations.

I wonder if we will be able to use these new encounter sets in all scenarios now to make them a bit harder. That is if theres an alternate version of rats, ghouls etc..

Edited by Meretrix

14 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

I wonder if we will be able to use these new encounter sets in all scenarios now to make them a bit harder. That is if theres an alternate version of rats, ghouls etc..

Pretty sure the only new neutral sets are Ghouls and Dark Cult. The rest is scenario specific.

This really strikes me as being very similar to the Nightmare decks for Lord of the Rings LCG. Which I must admit that I hated. Not really a fan of making a challenging game even harder. Despite that, the upgrade does offer some stuff I like. New player cards are nice and I kind of like the storage box. 

The new player cards are really the biggest selling point, but I'll probably wait to order until I know what those cards are like. 

I am not actually sure whether this is an alternate to the core scenarios or an actual return to the core scenarios where we can play it after we did the core scenarios. Anyone has a better reading?

My concern are more about the storage : does it fit the whole Zealot compaign sleeved? If not, this box can be the most beautiful box of the world it will still be useless (for me). :huh:

Edited by Cyiel
Mistake

22 hours ago, DarkFate said:

I am not actually sure whether this is an alternate to the core scenarios or an actual return to the core scenarios where we can play it after we did the core scenarios. Anyone has a better reading?

Fairly certain that, like nightmare mode for LotR, these are alternate versions of the three existing scenarios, not new scenarios intended to be played after the core campaign is complete.

2 hours ago, BD Flory said:

Fairly certain that, like nightmare mode for LotR, these are alternate versions of the three existing scenarios, not new scenarios intended to be played after the core campaign is complete.

Narratively, it would make little sense to add scenarios after a campaign is completed, no matter what ending was reached. New scenarios would be standalone or make up a new campaign.

11 hours ago, Fewzz said:

We need to know the card count that box can hold, if it is just for NOTZ then its a bit pointless.

I believe it's just for NOTZ: "This expansion also provides a storage solution with a premium box and eighteen divider cards to house your complete Night of the Zealot campaign in one place."

I'm guessing it is big enough to include the core cards PLUS the expanded NOTZ cards. I would doubt it is much bigger.

11 hours ago, Fewzz said:

We need to know the card count that box can hold, if it is just for NOTZ then its a bit pointless.

I believe it's just for NOTZ: "This expansion also provides a storage solution with a premium box and eighteen divider cards to house your complete Night of the Zealot campaign in one place."

I'm guessing it is big enough to include the core cards PLUS the expanded NOTZ cards. I would doubt it is much bigger.

12 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Let's just hope it's big enough to hold NotZ + NotZ Redux sleeved. It'd be a huge letdown otherwise.

Looking at the picture of the box, it easily looks large enough to hold the three scenarios from the core set PLUS the various scenario sets from the core set PLUS all of the new scenario cards from the Night of the Zealot.

"This expansion also provides a storage solution with a premium box and eighteen divider cards to house your complete Night of the Zealot campaign in one place."

This is my best guess for what those eighteen divider cards will be.

1. The Gathering
  2. The Midnight Masks
  3. Cult of Umordhoth
  4. The Devourer Below
  5. Rats
  6. Ghouls
  7. Ghouls of Umordhoth - new, replaces Ghouls
  8. Striking Fear
  9. Ancient Evils
  10. Chilling Cold
  11. Dark Cult
  12. The Devourer's Cult - new, replaces Dark Cult
  13. Nightgaunts
  14. Locked Door
  15. Agents of Hastur
  16. Agents of Shub-Niggurath
  17. Agents of Yog-Sothoth
  18. Agents of Cthulu

I suppose it's possible that Dark Cult and Ghouls won't get dividers, but that would seem odd given that you'd need them if you wanted to play the original scenarios.

I just did a little math.  Based on the picture in the reveal article and the picture in the below link, it looks like the box is roughly the same size as a 500 count box.  The Dunwich Legacy contains 307 scenario and encounter cards split across 18 scenario/encounter sets.  Path to Carcosa should end up with about the same number of cards.  I think it's EXTREMELY likely that we'll see similar boxes with dividers for each cycle at some point in the future, possibly releasing with some upgraded encounter sets and player cards.  "Return to the Dunwich Legacy".  "Return to the Path to Carcosa".

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-boxes/500-card-storage-box

I do think that the Return to the Night of the Zealot box will end up about half empty after we put all of the cards in.  Assuming ten of the 66 new cards are player cards, the encounter/scenario count is 167 cards.  That's less than two Magic the Gathering Commander decks (100 cards each).  That box can hold WAY more than two Commander decks.

50 minutes ago, Khudzlin said:

I find it hard to guess the size of the box from the pictures.

FFG also photoshops these things together so eyeballing from the photo doesn't give a you a good sense.

eg,  they take separate pictures, then assemble this picture.  Those pictures may not be to scale with each other.

Its hard to tell with LCGs, but its apparent in their shots for their miniatures games.

11 minutes ago, Jobu said:

FFG also photoshops these things together so eyeballing from the photo doesn't give a you a good sense.

eg,  they take separate pictures, then assemble this picture.  Those pictures may not be to scale with each other.

Its hard to tell with LCGs, but its apparent in their shots for their miniatures games.

While the pictures may not be to scale the the cards, the end of the box (which should at a minimum be card shaped, but a little taller to accommodate the dividers) SHOULD be to scale with the length of the box.  That alone would tell me that this box should be able to easily store the ~300 cards that make up a full cycle.  The box should be able to EASILY store the ~167 cards in the Return to the Night of the Zealot campaign.

It would have to be a pretty small box not to be able to hold Zealot + Zealot redux, even sleeved. I currently have Zealot + Rougarou + Carnevale, all sleeved, in one of their old OP LotR boxes, which are on the small side.

What I hope for, though, is that it's a big enough box to hold an 8 scenario campaign + redux cards (sleeved), so the box can be a standard size if they do develop additional redux products with their own boxes for other campaigns. The extra space for Zealot could be used for standalone scenarios, decks, overflow player cards, tokens, or whatever. It might be a vain hope (especially considering we don't even know if there are plans for any such product), but nonetheless... :)

Slightly off topic, but I thought of this due to the mention of sleeving cards. How do people play with sleeved cards?

Sleeving the player cards is obvious and easy, and similarly for the encounter cards. What about act and agenda, or locations, or cards with story cards on the back? I've been playing with those unsleeved, but didn't know how everyone else does it. Is it worth sleeving them, and pulling them out when you need to turn them over? Or maybe look for sleeves that are clear on both sides? Just wondering what others do, thanks.