Sign in to follow this  
Whipporwill

Night of the Zealot Redux

I was hoping for more scenarios in Night of the Zealot, but this looks pretty cool as well.  (that hope started when I read the title of the page so it wasn't a long standing desire)

While I like the 8 scenario campaigns and like the stand-alone, I feel like we could use more 3 length scenarios.  I know we get an option of one in LoL, but sometimes I want to run a campaign that doesn't span 8 scenarios.

Also, does anyone else think that "Pinch Hitter" and "...But Do I Have To?" should have been links to card images?

So I'm confused - is it basically just the same campaign, tweaked?  And how many new player cards are in it?  And is this box the only way to get those new player cards?

3 minutes ago, Adira said:

So I'm confused - is it basically just the same campaign, tweaked?  And how many new player cards are in it?  And is this box the only way to get those new player cards?

It looks like the Arkham version of LOTR's Nightmare decks.  You change out some of the cards and play mostly the same scenario over again, but typically harder.

I don't think we have details yet on the other questions.

Thought the articale said 66 new cards total?

Most likely yes this will be the only way to get the cards in the set both encounter and player.

Splash art showed leveled up talents for Physical Training and Hyperawareness, with 2 pips each for each of the relevant icons. Image was too low res to see how the text on the card changed, or the level though.

So figure all the core set talents upgraded as well as at least 1 more card per class as we know about the level 3 rabbit’s foot.

Just now, Samea said:

Is "Upgrade Expansion" a new term? Will that mean that other campaigns will be upgraded, too, nice storage box and all?

That would make sense to me. Could also be why the box is a lot bigger than I would think you'd need the campaign - to make them all a uniform size makes sense.

I also noticed that the end of the box seems to have a library card catalogue-style drawer printed on it. Seems like a nice touch, and making them all match like that would be cool. 

Based on the picture, it looks like 10 player cards, 12 encounter cards, 2 act/agenda cards, 16 location cards, and I think 3 replacement like rules cards.

Though that's only 43 total cards, so... never mind.

7 minutes ago, warmdown said:

You guys think with this expansion I don't need to buy a second core to be able to play with four players?

Unlikely.  The player card count is probably going to be pretty limited, I don't think this will replace a second core.

I'm worried.. How many copies of each new player card? I'm not in the mood to buy 2 of these. 

Only 12 player cards are displayed in that little sneak peek there. I counted the total though and if I counted correctly there's 53 cards in that picture, then if we assume that there's 2 of each player card then we hit 65 cards.

So. Here's hoping that there's 12 new investigator cards there. Let speculation commence:

My bets?

5 upgrades (10 cards total) for the classic skill pumps, looks like they're worth at least 4 xp each.

1 Class upgrade each, Obviously Rabbits foot, and then... Guard dog, Book of lore, 41. Derringer and Drawn to the flame?

Finally some neutral stuff: One new card. Upgraded Unexpected courage (2xp + draw if successful), and finally, an upgraded knife?

15 minutes ago, tsuruki said:

I'm worried.. How many copies of each new player card? I'm not in the mood to buy 2 of these. 

The other packs seem to refer to it by total count, not unique new cards (Among its sixty new cards, you'll find twenty-eight player cards, including four copies of a new weakness).

I dunno how I feel about this. I'm not sure I want to revisit the core. I'll probably get it anyway, but I don't like the idea of having 'upgrades' to currently existing scenarios when there's so much room in the mythos for new scenarios altogether. 

I assume it won't replace the usual scenario release schedule, but I dunno. If it doesn't, I don't mind as much as it is just another option for players to pursue. I would much rather see brand new content though.

30 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I dunno how I feel about this. I'm not sure I want to revisit the core. I'll probably get it anyway, but I don't like the idea of having 'upgrades' to currently existing scenarios when there's so much room in the mythos for new scenarios altogether. 

I assume it won't replace the usual scenario release schedule, but I dunno. If it doesn't, I don't mind as much as it is just another option for players to pursue. I would much rather see brand new content though.

I get you, totally, but I imagine that variant encounter cards and a couple of new Agenda/Act cards is a lot less intensive design-wise than a brand new scenario. Plus, it’s freshening up the scenarios we’ve probably all played the most. So if the opportunity cost of this is about a scenario’s worth of design effort (I don’t know, that’s a total guess, but it can’t be far off right?) for three kind-of-new scenarios, I’m well up for that!

35 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I get the appeal, but yeah, I already hope for brand new ideas in future campaigns rather than the checklist of Dunwich/Innsmouth/MoM.  This is a step back even from that.

Like you say, as long as it doesn't disrupt the expected schedule, it's not a big deal.  But I was anticipating the next deluxe to be announced this week.  Maybe not now.

As long as new content will be released as usual, I'm excited to return to known content in an extended version, just like I enjoy watching the director's cut of movies I've already seen in the theatre.