Jump to content
Shadow345

Will Raid ruin Armada?

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, RobertK said:

What we have on the Raid counter is that you can't execute the command. It doesn't care if you reveal a dial, gain a dial, or spend a token. The wording implies that the Raid counter prevents the command no matter where it comes from.

But articles have been wrong in the past, so we shouldn't consider that definitive. We'll have to wait until we see the rules for Raid counters.

 

I think what @ovinomanc3r is saying is if you raid Thrawn's carrier it's not as big of a deal because his other ships will be able to push squads via the Thrawn dials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RobertK said:

What we have on the Raid counter is that you can't execute the command. It doesn't care if you reveal a dial, gain a dial, or spend a token. The wording implies that the Raid counter prevents the command no matter where it comes from.

But articles have been wrong in the past, so we shouldn't consider that definitive. We'll have to wait until we see the rules for Raid counters.

 

You didn't understand my point.

Raid tokens are assigned to a ship, not to a fleet. Other ships can take the task. Thrawn allows that. Look the difference between Yavaris not being able to activate squadrons while its mates are busy engineering or concentrating fire and Pursuant not being able to activate squadrons while Avenger is navigating with Thrawn aboard. 

Those 4 squadrons (maybe even 6) are not going to care about the raid token on the Quasar.

It's all about the point of view. You see raid tokens blocking Thrawn commands dials. And yes they do. But I see Thrawn allowing that command though other ships. Raid tactic ignored!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

OH HEY GUYS, LOOK AT THIS THREAD SITTING WAY DOWN HERE!!!

uDzM0Jh.png

Just a friendly reminder than some of you lost your minds over something that can be countered by a simple Comms Net.

Or in other words
 

download.jpg

Edited by jamie nasmyth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

OH HEY GUYS, LOOK AT THIS THREAD SITTING WAY DOWN HERE!!!

uDzM0Jh.png

Just a friendly reminder than some of you lost your minds over something that can be countered by a simple Comms Net.

Armada is dead. Clearly.

But it wasn't raid that killed it.

Further investigation needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, Madaghmire said:

I promise you raid will not be the problem OP is concerned it will be.

 

On 1/8/2018 at 9:18 PM, Madaghmire said:

I dont have to have playtested this. We havent even seen the full rules on this thing. They wouldn’t drop soemthing thats completely bananaballs broken.

 

I put both of these on the front page. As long as truth gets to say “Told you so” I wanna point out that I actually did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

What did we learn today?

Don't get all wound up over half-explained new mechanics.

Also, FFG could possibly explain new rules in the very same articles where said rules were introduced, thus negating or reducing any panic.

Official news mentioning new mechanic on 1/3/18.  Official news mentioning new mechanic on 1/8/18.  New mechanic finally explained in leak to public on 1/17/18.  That's just poor PR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Also, FFG could possibly explain new rules in the very same articles where said rules were introduced, thus negating or reducing any panic.

Official news mentioning new mechanic on 1/3/18.  Official news mentioning new mechanic on 1/8/18.  New mechanic finally explained in leak to public on 1/17/18.  That's just poor PR.

Or we could all act like reasonable adults discussing a plastic miniatures game that the developer has not seriously unbalanced to date, instead of unwarranted and ridiculous panic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Or we could all act like reasonable adults discussing a plastic miniatures game that the developer has not seriously unbalanced to date, instead of unwarranted and ridiculous panic.

But @GiledPallaeon, if FFG isn't responsible for my emotions, who is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Truthiness said:

OH HEY GUYS, LOOK AT THIS THREAD SITTING WAY DOWN HERE!!!

uDzM0Jh.png

Just a friendly reminder than some of you lost your minds over something that can be countered by a simple Comms Net.

Yep. All one needs to do is bank a squad token (or any other token for that matter) at the beginning of the game (usually before engagement anyway), in anticipation of a raid on a major carrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

Yep. All one needs to do is bank a squad token (or any other token for that matter) at the beginning of the game (usually before engagement anyway), in anticipation of a raid on a major carrier. 

Well, Yavaris would need an unused squad token to get rid of the squadron raid token.  There's value there, since Yav wouldn't be able to get that third activation.

 

11 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Nose Punch Solution:

Hit them first activation with multiple raids while they are at speed 0.

I like this one - keep someone at speed 0 until you're good and ready for them to be moving.  Comms counters it, but who will be bringing those in wave 7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'll have times it and see if Raid is going to have more impact.

Right now we have a very small amount of upgrades that can produce a token. After Im guessing a new squad pack with u wings and maybe another trooper boarding team to match Jyn, it might prove harder to mitigate away. Especially if that comms net ship gets hit as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rasproteus said:

Well, Yavaris would need an unused squad token to get rid of the squadron raid token.  There's value there, since Yav wouldn't be able to get that third activation.

 

I like this one - keep someone at speed 0 until you're good and ready for them to be moving.  Comms counters it, but who will be bringing those in wave 7?

And thus can potentially mean those Comms Net Flotillas are at speed 0 too, since they can’t be speeding up and sending tokens... unless they are specifically geared to do so with a points bloat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Or we could all act like reasonable adults discussing a plastic miniatures game that the developer has not seriously unbalanced to date, instead of unwarranted and ridiculous panic.

I think few people actually panicked.  But was it unwarranted if they did?  I've personally seen several games ruined by crazy rules that were later revised, amended, or removed all together.  They were clearly not well tested or thought out.  People get worried when an unknown element is being introduced into something they enjoy.  Many of us have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on Armada.  Why?  Because they love the game.

People don't actually fear change.  They fear the unknown.  What is the change, how will the change affect me, why are we making this change.  When fully explained, people typically embrace change.  When left unexplained, people fear and oppose change.

FFG introduced part of the rules related to a new element of the game, but failed to give us the counter to that new element.  That left everyone to speculate about how it works and take random guesses as to how it will affect the meta of a carefully balanced game.  That's not very well managed PR.

To say we shouldn't be worried about how a new rule might upset the balance of a game we love is asking us to stop loving it.  If people weren't concerned about this change.  If people weren't worried about it being overpowered.  Then we should be concerned, because that would mean the players no longer cared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kmanweiss said:

I think few people actually panicked.  But was it unwarranted if they did?  I've personally seen several games ruined by crazy rules that were later revised, amended, or removed all together.  They were clearly not well tested or thought out.  People get worried when an unknown element is being introduced into something they enjoy.  Many of us have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on Armada.  Why?  Because they love the game.

People don't actually fear change.  They fear the unknown.  What is the change, how will the change affect me, why are we making this change.  When fully explained, people typically embrace change.  When left unexplained, people fear and oppose change.

FFG introduced part of the rules related to a new element of the game, but failed to give us the counter to that new element.  That left everyone to speculate about how it works and take random guesses as to how it will affect the meta of a carefully balanced game.  That's not very well managed PR.

To say we shouldn't be worried about how a new rule might upset the balance of a game we love is asking us to stop loving it.  If people weren't concerned about this change.  If people weren't worried about it being overpowered.  Then we should be concerned, because that would mean the players no longer cared.

This is all nonsense. I fear change. Not just unknown change. Any change! I’ve worn the same underwear for 17 years! My socks could cut marble! Just the way I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Nose Punch Solution:

 

Hit them first activation with multiple raids while they are at speed 0.

Net Result: They don’t do squat, and remain at speed 0.

How do you get them to deploy in your bubble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...