GrandAdmiralCrunch

Chimaera Article online

2 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Mandalorians are a rogue boost.

Who wins in a fight between a quasar and six tie fighters vs Dengar and a Mandalorian? 

No one. The Tie fighters cant get to the Mandalorian without commands and the mandalorian isnt attacking the tie fighters.

So what is dengar doing?  Better be shooting some TF's down

14 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

You are thinking small imo. Why stop a ship for 1 turn when you can stop all ships for all turns?

Squadrons (116/134):
1x Punishing One - Dengar (20)
1x Major Rhymer Tie Bomber Squadron (16)
4x Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (80)

Someones gonna do it

Because you can only hit one while it’s at speed 0.

There is not enough range. You need what is granted by Squall, and that limits to 3 squads. 

Rhymer is required. Then Intel, which leaves one Gauntlet.  Even with additional activations, you don’t have the range without that Squall bonus move. 

Bye the time the rest are able to be used, they have already sped up.

Using multiples was possible Pre Rhymer Nerf.

Not anymore.

Not while you expect targets at speed 0.

Edited by Drasnighta

1 hour ago, Dr alex said:

I’ll read everything in a bit but I just wanted to remember Wulf Yularian, born a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, died when Taskmaster Grint did what he does better for less points.

it was nice working with you Wulf.

dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

Edit: hang on, no he doesn’t, not quite anyway. Come back Wulf, I can think of some very specific situation you might be good in

Yeah, he’s good but not great, I too read it as a fleet wide ability until I got over the excitement and remembered that ‘you’ means the ship only.

use him where you’d use raymus in a Rebel list, carriers and engine techs

2 hours ago, LennoxPoodle said:

I like that the gauntlets (and raids in general) endanger one sided fleets and those based around a single mechanic. Calls for a more well rounded approach in fleet building without overdoing it. I would have found it better when the raid keyword required base contact/overlapping. That would balance it out and require planning ahead a bit.

Is that really a good thing?  Right now we have people running 2 ISDs with limited squads, and MSUs with limited squads, and bomber builds, and heavy fighter builds, and well rounded builds, and activation heavy builds, etc...  It keeps things interesting to see so many different builds and possibilities.  But if something gets introduced that restricts build variability due to everyone having to react to it...that's not good.

Sure, right now, squads are a threat, and if you don't take a way to handle squads, you're going to suffer, but you know that, and you deal with it.  If something like these raid delivering squads force people to take X number of fighter squads to deal with, then the 2 ISD fleet may not be viable.  And the MSU build that requires a certain number of ships loses it's viability.  And the Ackbar conga can no longer afford enough ships to be effective, and the bomber fleets need to bring more anti-squadron details.  All in all it may dull the variety of what we see, and that would be a **** shame.

4 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Raid tokens seem really powerful.  I wish they'd fully explain them already.  Drop 2 separate articles referencing them, but don't give us any details.

I don't have an issue with Jyn's raid tokens, and if they are permanent, it's ok as you have to pay a lot to utilize them.  Minimal ships can carry her, you have to get in close, people can see what you are trying to do, and you have to have the right commands to pull it all off.  You're likely sacrificing a lot two put down 2 raid tokens.

But raid tokens on fighters is a different topic.  You can bring 4, 5, even 6 squads that can place raid tokens on ships.  Bring some support and you really can't stop them from applying the tokens.  You could totally shut down a ship, or totally shut down an entire fleet.  If you have a squad orientated fleet and you can act first and drop 4 squadron command raid tokens on 4 ships, well, that's that.  How about a Motti turtle that rolls in and just repairs all your damage?  Shut down.  How about a maneuverable fleet built around staying out of arcs and getting double arcs?  Nope.  On top of the powerful raid tokens, they have a movement range of 4 (pretty dang good), and a 7 hull.  Not exactly easy to shut down.  These aren't 1 trick ponies with a glass cannon ability.  They can hang around and fight.  With rogue, you won't even need to depend on orders.

Now with fighters having them, you need a way to clean them off, but even so, they seem powerful.  Shutting down a full turn of commands across a fleet is powerful even if for just 1 round.  I don't think I'd want to entrust a no squad fleet in a tournament scene where these can show up either.  Flak boats and such can work, but they can't take stuff out super fast, especially if it has 7 health.  You pretty much need a dedicated anti-squadron fighter force or risk being completely shut down by these things.

Definitely a good way to sell Chimaera's though.  People are going to want to have several of those little buggers.  Bravo to the marketing department.

I wouldn't get too stressed about it, imo the only way this is going to be a terrible issue is if you field super low fighters, in which case you're prob still fielding either high hp or high counter ships where you'll tie these up a while. I doubt these squads will be effective beyond fielding 1 or 2 and even then what they're going for there takes away from their squadron power. Plus it's another fighter that sloane doesn't work with. 

14 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Is that really a good thing?  Right now we have people running 2 ISDs with limited squads, and MSUs with limited squads, and bomber builds, and heavy fighter builds, and well rounded builds, and activation heavy builds, etc...  It keeps things interesting to see so many different builds and possibilities.  But if something gets introduced that restricts build variability due to everyone having to react to it...that's not good.

Sure, right now, squads are a threat, and if you don't take a way to handle squads, you're going to suffer, but you know that, and you deal with it.  If something like these raid delivering squads force people to take X number of fighter squads to deal with, then the 2 ISD fleet may not be viable.  And the MSU build that requires a certain number of ships loses it's viability.  And the Ackbar conga can no longer afford enough ships to be effective, and the bomber fleets need to bring more anti-squadron details.  All in all it may dull the variety of what we see, and that would be a **** shame.

We don't fully know how raid tokens work or how you remove them, so it may transpire that raid tokens only force the ship to use its commands at lower efficiency allowing 2 ISD fleets to be still somewhat effective.

Also, there are many ways to destroy squadrons even within squadron light fleets, so the Raid squadrons might not even reach their target.

I'm expecting it to be something that flattens squadronless, unprepared fleets, but gets destroyed or stalled in place by even fleets with only light squadron cover.

However it turns out, they're just squadrons and can be killed in the same way, so if your list is strong vs. squadrons, you'll likely obliterate these little Raid squadrons along with whatever else your opponent brings.

(TL;DR just sacrifice an A-wing or TIE-Interceptor to the raid ball and fly around as normal... /s)

Or how about... sorry keep speeding up and fly off the board..or get shotby VSDs :)

EMPIRE FLEET (373 points)

1 • Imperial I-class Star Destroyer - Admiral Konstantine - Flight Commander - Rapid Launch Bays - Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (147)
2 • Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)
3 • Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)
4 • Victory II-class Star Destroyer - Disposable Capacitors - Quad Battery Turrets (93)
5 • Victory II-class Star Destroyer - Disposable Capacitors - Quad Battery Turrets (93)

add 7th Fleet to both VSDs & have 17 points left to spend.. 2 TIE/Lns to sit on the ISD with the MGFs?

8 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

Or how about... sorry keep speeding up and fly off the board..or get shotby VSDs :)

EMPIRE FLEET (373 points)

1 • Imperial I-class Star Destroyer - Admiral Konstantine - Flight Commander - Rapid Launch Bays - Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (147)
2 • Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)
3 • Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)
4 • Victory II-class Star Destroyer - Disposable Capacitors - Quad Battery Turrets (93)
5 • Victory II-class Star Destroyer - Disposable Capacitors - Quad Battery Turrets (93)

add 7th Fleet to both VSDs & have 17 points left to spend.. 2 TIE/Lns to sit on the ISD with the MGFs?

You may actually want some intel, assault is useless if you are engaged and can’t attack the ship...

Just now, Visovics said:

You may actually want some intel, assault is useless if you are engaged and can’t attack the ship...

why?  RLB + Flight commander means they sit on the ISD till after its moved then pop out (1 at a time using a token) and 'raid' the ship so it cant slow down after being speed up by Konstantine & 3 large/ mediums....

who cares if its shot down afterwards :P

1 minute ago, slasher956 said:

why?  RLB + Flight commander means they sit on the ISD till after its moved then pop out (1 at a time using a token) and 'raid' the ship so it cant slow down after being speed up by Konstantine & 3 large/ mediums....

who cares if its shot down afterwards :P

I mean if they keep the squads covering around the ship wherever the ISD can drop the gauntlets, because if the only place where you can drop them and the ship you want to raid is covered around with squadrons so no matter where you move you HAVE to attack one of the squads, they’ll get shot down easily

23 minutes ago, Suriel said:

A crusade must be launched. If the Holy Gunboat could be summoned, certainly Gilad can be as well. It may take 3 waves, it may take 6 but we shall emerge victorious. :)

I don’t think it’s impossible. There are only so many canon commanders. There is a good chance that there are more ship classes that could be brought in then there are Characters to Command them. 

3 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I don’t think it’s impossible. There are only so many canon commanders. There is a good chance that there are more ship classes that could be brought in then there are Characters to Command them. 

May take some time, as there seems to be a growing number of canon commanders. Since they added Sloane, I don’t doubt they’ll hesitate much from bringing out of the Aftermath (Gallius Rax) or now we also got Admiral Versio in Battlefront II, and since the resources will keep expanding, there may be a moment where there are enough canon commanders for the amount of possible ships, so unless they bring him to canon (which I’m totally down for Disney, c’mon please) I think he is not in the realm of real possibilities 

1 minute ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

"I doubt it, but maybe the 7th fleet card is an ISD I, II, Kuat, Cymoon star destroyers only card that gives benefits for you designing a fleet that involves only the big boys."

Yep, that's what I said. It was in the Profundity thread.

So not star destroyer only then.....

5 minutes ago, Visovics said:

May take some time, as there seems to be a growing number of canon commanders. Since they added Sloane, I don’t doubt they’ll hesitate much from bringing out of the Aftermath (Gallius Rax) or now we also got Admiral Versio in Battlefront II, and since the resources will keep expanding, there may be a moment where there are enough canon commanders for the amount of possible ships, so unless they bring him to canon (which I’m totally down for Disney, c’mon please) I think he is not in the realm of real possibilities 

I hope they do. At least artwork already exists for him, unlike some from the new canon. 

4 minutes ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

"I doubt it, but maybe the 7th fleet card is an ISD I, II, Kuat, Cymoon star destroyers only card that gives benefits for you designing a fleet that involves only the big boys."

Yep, that's what I said. It was in the Profundity thread.

And you quoted the person who thought it was an SD title right?