GrandAdmiralCrunch

Chimaera Article online

Raid tokens seem really powerful.  I wish they'd fully explain them already.  Drop 2 separate articles referencing them, but don't give us any details.

I don't have an issue with Jyn's raid tokens, and if they are permanent, it's ok as you have to pay a lot to utilize them.  Minimal ships can carry her, you have to get in close, people can see what you are trying to do, and you have to have the right commands to pull it all off.  You're likely sacrificing a lot two put down 2 raid tokens.

But raid tokens on fighters is a different topic.  You can bring 4, 5, even 6 squads that can place raid tokens on ships.  Bring some support and you really can't stop them from applying the tokens.  You could totally shut down a ship, or totally shut down an entire fleet.  If you have a squad orientated fleet and you can act first and drop 4 squadron command raid tokens on 4 ships, well, that's that.  How about a Motti turtle that rolls in and just repairs all your damage?  Shut down.  How about a maneuverable fleet built around staying out of arcs and getting double arcs?  Nope.  On top of the powerful raid tokens, they have a movement range of 4 (pretty dang good), and a 7 hull.  Not exactly easy to shut down.  These aren't 1 trick ponies with a glass cannon ability.  They can hang around and fight.  With rogue, you won't even need to depend on orders.

Now with fighters having them, you need a way to clean them off, but even so, they seem powerful.  Shutting down a full turn of commands across a fleet is powerful even if for just 1 round.  I don't think I'd want to entrust a no squad fleet in a tournament scene where these can show up either.  Flak boats and such can work, but they can't take stuff out super fast, especially if it has 7 health.  You pretty much need a dedicated anti-squadron fighter force or risk being completely shut down by these things.

Definitely a good way to sell Chimaera's though.  People are going to want to have several of those little buggers.  Bravo to the marketing department.

4 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Still doesn’t say how a ship can get rid of them. 

Are we sure you can? Thematically a raid would be storming a ship and killing the people in charge of a particular command/sabotaging the ship in some way.  How can you engineer when your engineering team is dead?

1 minute ago, Wired4War said:

What if you can't? Would be very brutal, but if they are expensive/tricky to apply then maybe that is okay.

We’ve been told by playtesters you can, although they can’t say it how since FFG also decided not to in articles, the rules on raids are yet unknown...

Just now, mcworrell said:

I’m thinking we will learn about the raid mechanics in the articles right before the actual release.

I hope so. 

They have pumped these articles out really quickly. I feel a disturbance in the force. As if something is coming. 

2 minutes ago, Visovics said:

We’ve been told by playtesters you can, although they can’t say it how since FFG also decided not to in articles, the rules on raids are yet unknown...

I wouldnt be surprised if the get rid of mechanic is to spend a matching command.

Im not sold on the mandalorian ships yet... 20 points seems a bit much, imps already have a squadron in this category, and It barely sees play in the competitive environment. If that Assault proves to be strong, theyll show up in pairs to shut yavaris and likes.

3 minutes ago, RobertK said:

Ouch. Speed 0 and then follow up with a raid token to deny navigation commands.

Double ouch.

That is exactly it.

Nose Punch 5.0 (398/400)
Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Objectives: Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Salvage Run

[flagship] Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
 - Admiral Motti (24)
 - Interdictor (3)
 - G7-X Grav Well Projector (2)
 - Targeting Scrambler (5)
 - Ion Cannon Batteries (5)
 - Disposable Capacitors (3)
= 132 total points

Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
 - Grav Shift Reroute (2)
= 102 total points

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54)
 - Squall (3)
 - Flight Commander (3)
= 60 total points

Squadrons (104/134):
1x Punishing One - Dengar (20)
1x Tempest Squadron TIE Advanced Squadron (13)
1x Colonel Jendon Lambda-class Shuttle (20)
1x Major Rhymer Tie Bomber Squadron (16)
1x Mauler Mithel Tie Fighter Squadron (15)
1x Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)

Just now, Coldhands said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the get rid of mechanic is to spend a matching command.

Im not sold on the mandalorian ships yet... 20 points seems a bit much, imps already have a squadron in this category, and It barely sees play in the competitive environment. If that Assault proves to be strong, theyll show up in pairs to shut yavaris and likes.

Yeah, I think it matches why only 2 come, and matches what Truth said about how 2 is the maximum you want to take in your fleet. I LOVE THEM

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

That is exactly it.

Nose Punch 5.0 (398/400)
Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Objectives: Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Salvage Run

[flagship] Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
 - Admiral Motti (24)
 - Interdictor (3)
 - Targeting Scrambler (5)
= 132 total points

Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
 - Grav Shift Reroute (2)
= 102 total points

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54)
 - Squall (3)
 - Flight Commander (3)
= 60 total points

Squadrons (104/134):
1x Punishing One - Dengar (20)
1x Tempest Squadron TIE Advanced Squadron (13)
1x Colonel Jendon Lambda-class Shuttle (20)
1x Major Rhymer Tie Bomber Squadron (16)
1x Mauler Mithel Tie Fighter Squadron (15)
1x Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (20)

That's beautiful.