gTrezona23

First Time Getting into a Miniatures Game

So as the title says this is the first time I've bought into a miniatures game.  Always wanted to try 40k but it just seemed like way to much.  I have preordered two core sets.  I figured that would get me enough starting figures to play and learn.  For someone that has never made a mat to play on, are there any websites or forums where I can see how to make a make one with terrain and such?  I don't want to go crazy but I would like to have a cool top to play on instead of playing on a dining room table.  Thank you in advance for your help!  

9 minutes ago, gTrezona23 said:

So as the title says this is the first time I've bought into a miniatures game.  Always wanted to try 40k but it just seemed like way to much.  I have preordered two core sets.  I figured that would get me enough starting figures to play and learn.  For someone that has never made a mat to play on, are there any websites or forums where I can see how to make a make one with terrain and such?  I don't want to go crazy but I would like to have a cool top to play on instead of playing on a dining room table.  Thank you in advance for your help!  

There is plenty of sites that sell premade tabletops, mats and terrain. You can also find a vast amount of tutorials on youtube on how to make your own terrain, often pretty simple to do and cheap on materials! I cant point you to any specific tutorials but search around and you will find something that suits you!

My suggestion though is to start by getting a neoprene (mousepad material) gaming mat. It can be easily stored when not used, and very quickly you can roll it out on any table to create a smooth and beautiful playarea that fits whatever theme you fancy! Get this mat and youll have something to play on, after that you can start looking at terrain and how to build or buy it!

They can be a little expensive and depending on where you live shipping can be costly. But youll find them in all shapes and sizes so I would suggest deciding on a theme that suits you (snow, desert, forest) and get one that is 6x3ft. That way you have the exact playarea already lined up and since this is your first game, I assume it will be your only game for at least some time so you wont need a bigger playmat.

There are plenty that sells these mats, personally ive bought two from DeepCutStudios and they are fantastic and I couldnt be happier with them. But it all depends on where you live :)

39 minutes ago, gTrezona23 said:

You have a dining table of the right size? Lucky. Mine is just about 2.5 feet wide. Guess im on th floor then

46 minutes ago, gTrezona23 said:

There are a lot of cool and simple terrain ideas on Pinterest too. I've been learning and getting a lot of ideas from there. I recommend using trash and around the house items to start with on your terrain. You can make crates really easily out of cardboard or bits of plastic and barrels out of caps from sodas and other drinks really easily. You can use things like that for any theme you go with. 

11 minutes ago, Jabby said:

You have a dining table of the right size? Lucky. Mine is just about 2.5 feet wide. Guess im on th floor then

Have a board cut into 3x6‘ or two into 3x3‘. Put them on your table. Problem solved. 

You can get a 6x4 sheet of plywood from Home Depot for cheap; they'll cut it into two 3x4s for free. Cover them in felt or whatever, and then you can put them on your table (buy a cheap folding table if desired), put your 6x3 mat on them, and have six inches on either side for cards, components, beer, or whatever. When you're not playing, take 'em off and store 'em wherever. 

Terrain you'll be on your own for, but that's a real cheap, easy, and storable playing surface.

Thrift shop and find a sand or green coloured bed sheet :) cut up towels for turf areas. Low budget startin set up.

Also hobby shop that has train set items. They sell a roll of "grass" for train set up.  Looks great and is MUCH cheaper then a gaming mat.

Ding room table to small? Home depot sell wood panels in sizes 4x2, you put mat over them and you have 6" on each side for your stuff.

Welcome to the game, I went with this one, http://www.tablewar.com/the-f-a-t-mat/6x3-f-a-t-mat/ That's a mart and carrying case.

As for terrain like the gentlemen said there are plenty of youtube tutorials. Go for modular pieces to break up line of sight. My first terrain was soup cans and mac & cheese boxes.

Edited by Sirdrasco

first...do you have a Local game store? If so find out if they have painting nights.
second...buy a reasonable priced "Starter set" of paints...depending on which side you are focusing on you will need a few more paints. 
Rebels : get a military green or brown. Most Starter paint sets have a "leather brown"...that is NOT what I am talking about (you will use that brown...but not as a uniform color)

Imperials: get White paint and "nuln oil" or a black wash. 

several good starter sets are made by Reaper, Army Painter, privateer press and Games Workshop. 

let me know which faction you are focusing on and I can send you to the right places to research how to paint the troops. 

2 hours ago, NukeMaster said:

I was thinking about getting a 6x3 piece of felt in either brown, green or white.  Is that a viable option or am I just going to find myself cursing at it every time I pick up a miniature.

Why curse? Plenty of times we'v used a pool table to play on :)

21 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

I was thinking the felt might stick to the miniatures and alter the play area slightly.

Nah, you'll be fine. Felt is way better then a shiny surface.  Miniatures bases will grip a lot better incase accidentally bumping them

On 7/1/2018 at 3:32 PM, Omnustechni said:

There are a lot of cool and simple terrain ideas on Pinterest too. I've been learning and getting a lot of ideas from there. I recommend using trash and around the house items to start with on your terrain. You can make crates really easily out of cardboard or bits of plastic and barrels out of caps from sodas and other drinks really easily. You can use things like that for any theme you go with. 

I second this: for a groud attack game in X-wing, I got a can of grey spray paint, raided my plastic recycling pile and taa-daa...  (its mostly mushroom containers, plus black sand-paper  sheets cut up for roadways).  But if you buy only one item of scenry, get a bag of Lichen (e.g. from a model train store). And cork bark (see both at edges of picture below). Oh and start picking up a few nice natural rocks (but please don't despoil any scenic sites, like some Imperial mining corp let loose on an Outer Rim planet  :) ).  Oh there is so much fun to be had gathering and making terrain! :D

X_Wing_ground_attack.thumb.jpg.3efcc01588a4dec715540c39310588a0.jpgd

16 hours ago, Nihm said:

That' a' big firespray lol

Ha, yes indeed :)  In that X-Wing game it was "repurposed" as an Imperial fuel transporter, and a nice juicy target for the Rebel bombers.

I have also used it in 20mm Star Wars ground combat as an Imperial repulsorlift transport (with Stormtroopers on the wings).  Its has also landed a raiding party of Cybermen in a 25mm Dcotor Who game using "Bolt Action", so it gets around! It started life as a piggy-bank so not bad going.