Maim Voorhees

Krennic action question

I want to try an eKrennic with Death Trooper deck.  Does that mean I will need a second DT die?  I’ve never seen Krennic played, so I’m not exactly sure how the mechanic works. Thanks for your help.  

Yes, you will need a second Death Trooper die. First of all, you need it cause it says so in the RRG, but that feels like a “buy more packs!” Wink Wink nudge nudge. But, in fact, you will want it because with the modified side on the DT dice you will want to have the regular sides from a second dice and from Krennic’s dice. So if you’re averse to proxying dice (like I am) then you’ll want a second. 

2 hours ago, PeoplesChampion said:

Yes, you will need a second Death Trooper die. First of all, you need it cause it says so in the RRG, but that feels like a “buy more packs!” Wink Wink nudge nudge. But, in fact, you will want it because with the modified side on the DT dice you will want to have the regular sides from a second dice and from Krennic’s dice. So if you’re averse to proxying dice (like I am) then you’ll want a second. 

Does that mean that each time I activate him while controlling the battlefield that I get another DT die?

Each time you activate him in a turn where you control the battle field you get to roll in a death trooper die.  Obviously they are put in the set aside zone once they're resolved or the round ends though.

9 hours ago, PeoplesChampion said:

What is proxying dice?

Josh is correct. So, for instance, if you’re playing Krennic/DT, you own the battlefield, the DT has Training and you use feint on Krennic, then activate him, then activate the DT, you should have four DT dice in your pool. One from each Krennic activation, one from the DT, and one from training. 

Proxying a dice is using a different dice as a stand in for the dice. It’s not ideal, and you cannot do it in any official format, but you can do that casually just to try something out. So for you you could proxy the DT dice until you get the second one you need. 

If you don't see a character get play time it is usually because they cost too much for what they do. To some degree, characters are redundant to themselves, so the ones that receive play are above the power curve for their cost. Some will see play because they are a favorite character or the synergize well with another character putting them above the power curve.

Having played krennic I'd have to say his ability bring battlefield dependent really sucks because you will run into decks that can claim more quickly than him

Palpatine immidiately comes to mind 

That and the DT die, while consistent, is not terribly impressive. Only getting two at most plus krennic's single damage side dice makes the deck pretty pillowfisted 

Edited by ficklegreendice

his ability leads towards high action efficient decks in order to claim. Problem is at his cost and color thats not easy to do consistently and still do enough damage to be a threat. Krennic himself is pretty craptastic, if he had a non-battlefield owning ability he'd be fine but each die face is a different icon, so its very very likely you'll have to either waste a die result to claim, or forfeit the claim to use the other two icons you rolled.

My assessment is that he’s too inconsistent. I like the idea of him, but with his ability requiring speed, and dice only having one side that advances your win condition, his turnout is mediocre at best. He could be fun to build with your 11 point elites (once Legacies comes out there will be three) but that’s really only for casual games. 

Run him with the Battlefield that gives control of it to opponent when claimed and then never claim. He’ll work the rest of the game.

Edit: I’m dumb, claim effect is a may do, so that won’t work every time. Still probably the best battlefield to use with the guy.

Edited by gokubb

1 minute ago, gokubb said:

Run him with the Battlefield that gives control of it to opponent when claimed and then never claim. He’ll work the rest of the game.

Edit: I’m dumb, claim effect is a may do, so that won’t work every time. Still probably the best battlefield to use with the guy.

Ooooooo, what battlefield is that?

yeah Medical Center went from 100% trash imo to situational when i learned of the "May" clause on claiming.

i think a lot of battlefields would be pretty stupid if you HAD to do the claim effect (unless of course it was impossible, such as resolving a die that doesnt exist)

Legacies actually have a few decent options when it comes to taking control of the battlefield, like the ground battalion. Add in lockdown and Krennic should have some success rolling out the DT when he activates. Besides the damage, I also like the 2 discard side on his dice. Yeah, it really sucks at 19 points elite to not have a 3 damage side, but that's the same with Jyn. Imperial discipline is a good upgrade to use on him to get some of that consistency on damage, I think.