lordannoyed

Leaping creature abilities

When we think of certain settings often times we come across creatures with unusual speed.  Zerglings in Starcraft, Skags in Borderlands, facehuggers in aliens, jockeys in left for dead, and I'm sure there are a lot of other examples out there.  Most of these creatures can easily be minions.  The issue with having them as minions is that they only have one move and one attack per round.  The mechanics of genesys allow you to get away from these creatures, but if you've played these games or seen these movies some of these creatures move to fast for you to just out run them.  So I went looking for abilities that would work.  I liked the Kyuzo ability and might save that for rivals or nemesis (like skagzilla) but again, minions do not have strain.  I tried looking for creature abilities and the only thing I could find that was close allowed them to move through rough terrain unhindered.  That's not potent enough. 

My solution is:

• to rename the multi-limb ability that allows species to gain a free extra maneuver as long as they do not use more than 2 maneuvers per turn and give them that ability (maybe call it feral sprint/lunge). 
  • Allow them to move horizontal or vertical to any location within short range (we often see these creatures jumping up cliffs or distances at least 10m or so)
  • and lastly possibly forgo having to use a maneuver to go from short range to engaged.

The last one makes my gut feel like it is too OP, but I feel that it holds to the *feel* of what I'm trying to accomplish, so I'm torn.  I don't have templates yet bc honestly, I want to use these abilities with possibly multiple different creatures.  Bc they are minions, and bc they would have this great speed I would make them easy-moderate difficulty to kill for minions and do probably low amounts of damage.  My initial thought was to have some kind of medium ranged/melee combo attack but I couldn't come up with anything that looked remotely fair/accurate for the mechanics/feel.  This is the best I've come up with any thoughts or suggestions?

I've come across this a couple times, and just today was trying to figure out how to reflect the increased speed and mobility one has while mounted. My solution for speedy creatures was to keep the requirement of having to use a maneuver to engage, but allow them to move between short and medium range as an incidental, and between medium and long range for one maneuver (long to extreme is still two maneuvers). That allows fast minion creatures to outrun most players without having to use an extra maneuver, but they still have to maneuver to engage.

If the creature can actually leap from one location to another, I'd require a strain cost (so the creature would have to be a rival at least) to allow it to move from any point within Medium range to another, but not directly into engaged (still have to maneuver for that), unless it has a special ability that allows it to do so. Like a facehugger (rival), for example:

Face Leap: The facehugger may take the Face Leap action, making a Brawl check against a target within Short range. If successful, the facehugger immediately moves to engaged with the target, and the target is considered Blinded. If the facehugger spends 2 Advantage or Triumph, the target cannot disengage without a Daunting Athletics check (to reflect it getting a grip with its digits and tail).

I would simply give that Minion type an extra manoeuvre per round, basicly the multiple limbs ability. It’s simple and it breaks the rules in a controlled and expected way. If a player asks what’s going on you don’t have to describe some complex special ability “fast something something, Strain But Wounds something something, it’s quick...” 

With Athletics as a group skill they will be exceptional at climbing and jumping so just have those be checks in the encounter.

10 hours ago, thecowley said:

Sorry for the side track, but what is the multilimb maneuver ability called?

It is called Additional limbs:  creatures with more than 2 arms/2 legs gain an additional free maneuver per turn, though still may not perform more than two maneuvers per turn.  In Special Modifications the Besalisk has this ability.  I believe Dax(sp?) the alien that Obi-wan went to see in Star Wars Episode II: Clone wars was this alien race.  The guy who told him about the kameno saber darts.

8 hours ago, Direach said:

I've come across this a couple times, and just today was trying to figure out how to reflect the increased speed and mobility one has while mounted. My solution for speedy creatures was to keep the requirement of having to use a maneuver to engage, but allow them to move between short and medium range as an incidental, and between medium and long range for one maneuver (long to extreme is still two maneuvers). That allows fast minion creatures to outrun most players without having to use an extra maneuver, but they still have to maneuver to engage.

If the creature can actually leap from one location to another, I'd require a strain cost (so the creature would have to be a rival at least) to allow it to move from any point within Medium range to another, but not directly into engaged (still have to maneuver for that), unless it has a special ability that allows it to do so. Like a facehugger (rival), for example:

Face Leap: The facehugger may take the Face Leap action, making a Brawl check against a target within Short range. If successful, the facehugger immediately moves to engaged with the target, and the target is considered Blinded. If the facehugger spends 2 Advantage or Triumph, the target cannot disengage without a Daunting Athletics check (to reflect it getting a grip with its digits and tail).

Idk if you've read any of the Star Wars books, but they actually have rules for mounted combat.  I think it is their speed is equal to half their agility rounded up.

I have, but they're clunky, and the one player I have who will use mounted combat will not be able to absorb those rules. I made another post with my optional rules for simplified mounted combat.