Tom Cruise

Do you refer to the dice by colour or name?

41 minutes ago, widomknight said:

I think its racist to refer to them as color IMO

Yes, the years of systemic oppression of both the blue and purple dice means calling dice by their colour has the legacy of hate stamped all over it.

I tend to do both, though for specific dice. The Ability, Proficiency, Difficulty, and Challenge Dice (and Force, from Star Wars) are all always their colors ("You're rolling Athletics at Dif. 3, Upgraded twice, so take two Red one Purple; you have four Brawn and one Athletics, so that's three Green one Yellow;" etc.), but I generally call the Boost and Setback dice by their proper names. If I'm applying it, I say "Take a Boost/Setback," but if I'm changing a dicepool that's already in hand, I sometimes call a Setback a Black Die.

I never thought of it, but I suppose I use Boost and Setback because it feels like an effect, while the main dice are all just points on the sheet. Though I think that when I add a whole die, I sometimes use the full name (I vaguely recall saying "Add a Challenge Die" at some point, and definitely tell them to add Difficulty Dice from time to time). On a vaguely related note, I generally don't use the proper names for difficulties--every now and again I might say Easy, Average, and Hard, and whenever it comes up I find great pleasure in calling a task Formidable, but I tend to just say Dif. 2 or whatever.

Like I've said, I prefer to call them per color but when I talk about the dices and symbols, sometimes I use different names.

Or just something like:

Do it with 4 dices and upgrade 2, but with 3 advantages (blue dice) vs. 3 dices and upgrade 1, but with 2 disadvantages (black dice).

Name, except Proficiency and Challenge which are called by their colors.

Similarly, do people use the difficulty names or numbers (names for me but I have a new player so it's been a lot of "Average difficulty which is two").

8 hours ago, Colyer said:

Name, except Proficiency and Challenge which are called by their colors.

Similarly, do people use the difficulty names or numbers (names for me but I have a new player so it's been a lot of "Average difficulty which is two").

Number.