Tom Cruise

Do you refer to the dice by colour or name?

Just curious about how people communicate things at their tables. Do you tend to refer to the different dice types as their respective colours, or by their actual names? 

Personally my table refer to everything by colour. Difficulty is always communicated as "purples". I think this is a side effect of playing online and using a diceroller which uses colour initials for building dicepools (e.g. 3g 1b 2p)

Edited by Tom Cruise

Color and name, depends if I'm in the middle of a narration suddenly switching languages to say "Proficiency", "Ability" etc. ruins the flow, so we often resort to just the Norwegian words for the colors. (Norwegian words for the names are tricky because it can have multiple translations (e.g. "Abilty" is either "Egenskap" or "Evne", but in this context it is "Evne") so it's just easier to stick to the colors.

Both. But that's because so far I've played with people who have had little exposure to the NDS before. Once they associate "Purple die" with "Difficulty die" I'll drop the colour. But for beginners who can't always remember that the yellow one is Proficiency, using both is a great learning tool.

Colour. Because, even though I'm American, I was influenced at a young and formative age. The first job I ever had was working for Games Workshop, and they are British so it was colour, armour, manoeuvre, etc. I left that job because I was going overseas for a year: in French-speaking Belgium. Being FR, they also use the 'u' in colour. Thus, from the age of 15 to the age of 17 I used colour and it's just stuck with me.

30 minutes ago, siabrac said:

So the real question is: Do you refer to the dice by color or by colour? ;)

Depends if you're in North America or not.

I think both name and color is a good idea

Edited by Crowag
Spelling errors

I do color. Some of the people I play with don’t play the system regularly so they need refreshers when we play. It’s much simpler to use color. No ambiguity. 

Edited by fjw70

By Color. As an American English speaking American, it's "col-or", not "col-our" 'round these parts. Also my group and I have played Star Wars rpg 100% online, and it was easier to just say "hey shooting someone at medium range is average, that's 2 purps, and how about it's also dim and foggy so that's a black. Don't forget your blue for Aiming though." for the dice rollers UI.

Color when we have new people at the table, or when we haven't played in a few months (referring to my Star Wars campaign, since it's the same system). But when we've consistently had the same group for several weeks in a row, we start switching over to calling the dice by name.