KosherInfidel

Dragon Age

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frbml42vprz2550/Dragon Age Genesys Adaptation Book.pdf?dl=0

This is a sample of where I am taking my adaptation.  The Backgrounds of Dragon Age RPG will become the Archetypes, as they functioned as race selection and the bare essence of what you bring to the table.  There will then be careers (more than just Mage, Rogue, Warrior) which help flesh out the Archetype and skills associated.

Concerns:  Selecting Apostate Mage (Elf) and then deciding to play a Warrior.  Does that really matter?  Warrior only nets you the combat skills as class skills, something one could do anyway in this system if they so chose.  Plus, you still ping on Templar radar.  Conversely, one may be an Anders Survivor and then choose to play a Mage.  They still need to choose if they are living as an Apostate or Circle Mage, but they are not gaining the benefits of selecting either of those Archetypes...for reasons...

Thoughts and suggestions, please.

I am very interested in this! However, instead of creating so many Archetypes I would just go the typical Genesys way:  Let the Archetypes be the Species and then select a career like Mage, Warrior...Finally I would just create the background narratively together with talent selection. This would simplify the conversion work, and facilitate the work of the GM by having a common ground with Genesys.

For example. Varric would start by selecting Surface Dwarf as an Archetype, then chossing Thief as career but buying some ranks in Lore or any other Knowledge skill (to represent his love for writing arts) and maybe a talent regarding his network of contacts...

13 hours ago, Erahard said:

I am very interested in this! However, instead of creating so many Archetypes I would just go the typical Genesys way:  Let the Archetypes be the Species and then select a career like Mage, Warrior...Finally I would just create the background narratively together with talent selection. This would simplify the conversion work, and facilitate the work of the GM by having a common ground with Genesys.

For example. Varric would start by selecting Surface Dwarf as an Archetype, then chossing Thief as career but buying some ranks in Lore or any other Knowledge skill (to represent his love for writing arts) and maybe a talent regarding his network of contacts...

That was my first course of action, however, I just was not sure if it would capture the essence and spirit of Dragon Age.  Take away the backgrounds and it is just another Tolkienesque fantasy setting with late middle ages trappings.

Thanks for the thoughts, def gives me pause.

18 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

That's a Knight-Enchanter.

Ugh, totally forgot about that.  I am not much for the video games, but it could also be visualized as a Spirit Warrior with the magical effects trapped on the weapons and armor.  Thanks!

On 1/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, KosherInfidel said:

That was my first course of action, however, I just was not sure if it would capture the essence and spirit of Dragon Age.  Take away the backgrounds and it is just another Tolkienesque fantasy setting with late middle ages trappings.

Thanks for the thoughts, def gives me pause.

I've been toying around with the idea of a Dragon Age conversion myself, and would more or less take the same approach as you for the same reason. I'd take it one step further though, and in addition to using the backgrounds from the DACRB as archetype/species, I'd also port over the same class restrictions they have as well. So the Apostate (Elf) from your previous example could only take the Mage class. This would limit some of the player's freedom, but it keeps the conversion true to the spirit of the base material, so I feel the trade off is worth it.

I've been working on some staple spell conversions, using the Gencon pregen spells as a template, and wanted to see what people though.

Fire Ball

Magic Action: Attack

Concentration: No

Skill: Elemental

Additional Effects: Blast, Fire

Fire Ball is a magic attack, and follows all the normal rules for a combat check. Choose a target at short range and make a Hard (3D) Elemental check. If the check succeeds, the attack deals damage equal to the character's Intellect +1 damage per uncanceled success, and has the Blast and Burn qualities with a rating equal to the character's ranks in Knowledge (Magic). The attack has no set Critical rating, so you may only inflict a Critical Injury with a Triumph.

Before the character casts this spell. You may choose to add any of the following additional effects, increasing the difficulty of the check correspondingly.

Deadly (+1D): The attack gains a Critical rating of 2.The attack also gains the Vicious quality with a rating equal to the character's ranks in Knowledge (Magic).

Empowered (+2D): The attack deals damage equal to twice the character's Intellect. If the Blast quality is activated, it affects all characters within short range, instead of engaged.

Range (+1D): Increase the range of the spell by one range band. This may be added multiple times, increasing the range by one range band each time.

Flame Blast

Magic Action: Attack

Concentration: No

Additional Effect: Fire

Flame Blast is a magic attack, and follows all the normal rules for a combat check. Choose a target at short range and make an Average (2D) Elemental check. If the check succeeds, the attack deals damage equal to the character's Intellect +1 damage per uncanceled success, and has the Burn quality with a rating equal to the character's ranks in Knowledge (Magic). The attack has no set Critical rating, so you may only inflict a Critical Injury with a Triumph.

Before the character casts this spell. You may choose to add any of the following additional effects, increasing the difficulty of the check correspondingly.

Close Combat (+1D): May select a target engaged with the character.

Deadly (+1D): The attack gains a Critical rating of 2.The attack also gains the Vicious quality with a rating equal to the character's ranks in Knowledge (Magic).

Empowered (+2D): The attack deals damage equal to twice the character's Intellect.

Range (+1D): Increase the range of the spell by one range band. This may be added multiple times, increasing the range by one range band each time.

Flaming Weapon

Magic Action: Augment

Concentration: Yes

Additional Effect: Fire

Select one target engaged with the character (including themself), and make a Hard (3D) Elemental check. If the check is successful, until the end of the character's next turn, the target increases the ability of any Melee attacks they make by one, and they gain the Burn quality with a rating equal to the character's ranks in Knowledge (Magic). A character may not be affected by more than one Augment spell at the same time.

Additional Target (+2D): The spell affects one additional target within range of the spell. In addition, after casting the spell, you may spend 1 Advantage to affect one additional target within range of the spell (and may trigger this multiple times, spending Advantage each time).

Hi there! I would be very interested in teaming up with you on this conversion. I was about to start my own but you have some ground. Would you be interested in collaborating on this? Let me know! Thanks!