Yaccarus

The Complete Species Guide

Okay, guys. I am creating something that is designed for personal use, but it is cool enough at this point that I think I’ll share. At least one person has asked for a solution to the problem that it is difficult to carry around all of their books, or that it is a pain to fish through the books for information. As such, I have decided to post the CSG (Complete Species Guide) to solve this. The CSG lists the stats of 197+ species (new ones are added very frequently), and it also provides a picture, societal information, and other convenient info for each. A few notes beforehand:

The CSG is Legends only unless otherwise noted. Canon simply doesn’t provide the info needed for many of the species.

In theory, every sentient species from Legends you've every heard of and then some will be included.

The stats in the CSG are... a bit complicated:
• If FFG stats are available, they are used as a base. However, they are subject to change for many reasons. First, many of FFG’s stats are based on Canon, while the species are different in Legends, so this creates differences. Sometimes, I simply disagree and change it. (Again, I made this for myself) Also, I tend to add more detail, including abilities that FFG deemed too minor. (Or something)
• For non-FFG species, my first resort is GMAC (Great Movie Alien Compendium), as it provides pretty good stats. However, these tend to be tweaked as well. With all due respect, I find that the stats can get a bit too crazy sometimes. I often remove some of the abilities.
• If neither of the above resources are available, I create my own stats.

The CSG can be used by accessing individual documents, as a single PDF, or as a Dataset for Oggdude’s Character Generator.

All of these variants can be found in my Google Drive folder here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QZbBHcV-P3koUmBRo77rTq2OOyWUTSeB

Edited by Yaccarus

I like it, I didn’t realize this was merely the Brawn 3 listing so far, excited to see which ones you feature that aren’t in the Unofficial Species Menagerie. 

Edited by Khazadune

That is the GMAC.

As for USM, I have in fact seen it. However, I have a few issues. First, it includes no other information beyond stats, so I would need to Wookieepedia search the species anyway if I were creating a character. Second, it was created before FFG had many species, so the stats are really all over the place.

10 hours ago, Yaccarus said:

As for USM, I have in fact seen it. However, I have a few issues. First, it includes no other information beyond stats, so I would need to Wookieepedia search the species anyway if I were creating a character. Second, it was created before FFG had many species, so the stats are really all over the place.

Plus, the USM is pretty out of date, as a number of the species have already been covered (one of the reasons we stopped updating it was that we'd be removing more species than we'd be adding) and most of those were written with only the EotE Beta rulebook to go by in terms of general guidelines, as well as the authors' intent to avoid creating power-gamer species that were inherently better than anything in the official rules; if a species was a superior option to playing a Human almost across the board no matter what career or spec you were playing, then it was deemed too powerful and needed to be toned down.  There were still a couple that we could have done better (Chiss for instance), but it was what it was.

That and it was considered to be more of a temporary thing from the onset, providing an option for species that FFG hadn't gotten around to publishing stats for yet.

I haven’t really done many of the Old Republic era games or read those comics, so they aren’t a species that I think of as notable. That being said, if there’s interest, I could add them in a future edit.

Once I deal with the editting, I’ll ask for requests so I can create a complete list of who I should add. Sith is already on that list, and I have now added Miraluka and Cathar. As for the rest of the list, we’ll talk once the rest of the guide is out there. (Side note: fingers crossed I can get Cunning 3 out to you guys tonight) 

29 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

Once I deal with the editting, I’ll ask for requests so I can create a complete list of who I should add. Sith is already on that list, and I have now added Miraluka and Cathar. As for the rest of the list, we’ll talk once the rest of the guide is out there. (Side note: fingers crossed I can get Cunning 3 out to you guys tonight) 

I’m crossing fingers, toes and my wife’s. 

I get that this is a personal project, but I don't see any source attribution for the images you've used and you've now made it public. So, unless all those images were explicitly in the public domain, then you're probably violating someone's copyright.

This came up with the last user who created their version of the USM and threw in images from DeviantArt and other places without getting permission. They'd even ended up using art that the artist's had said "No" to being included in the USM (which is why they weren't in the USM).

26 minutes ago, Kallabecca said:

I get that this is a personal project, but I don't see any source attribution for the images you've used and you've now made it public. So, unless all those images were explicitly in the public domain, then you're probably violating someone's copyright.

This came up with the last user who created their version of the USM and threw in images from DeviantArt and other places without getting permission. They'd even ended up using art that the artist's had said "No" to being included in the USM (which is why they weren't in the USM).

Like with any copyright violation, the DMCA requires the copyright holder to contact the individual to request the change. As long as the creator is willing to do so, he is perfectly legal in what he has done. It might be more expedient and wiser to ask permission first, but it is not required. 

3 hours ago, Kallabecca said:

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that this whole project falls under fair use.

40 minutes ago, Ahrimon said:

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that this whole project falls under fair use.

The art doesn’t. I moonlight as a DMCA agent for a digital artist and have a masters in Library and Information Science where I specialized in copyright and Fair Dealing provisions, granted from a Canadian perspective (which is more conducive to fair use provisions than the US). If he wants to take the art without asking permission than all an artist need do is to contact him and ask that the art be removed using a standard DMCA format. Which is fine for what this is. I imagine that only one or two of the artists’ would see this and care, at which point there is plenty of other art that exists, or, someone can come forward and offer their skills to insert a new piece in its place. I would still recommend that you either cite the source at the end, or that you reach out to the artist or both. But nothing compels him to do so outright. The DMCA is designed to allow for a means of remedying the issue outside of legal proceedings, and, a standard for proving in effect that the person contacting you actually owns the copyright to the piece of art.